Going Wild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't moved on the first wild yeast I caught yet, the starter beer is still in the jug in the fridge cold crashing after about three weeks of fermenting, but I brewed on Sunday and left my hydro sample out again, half forgetfully and half intentionally, and it's got a decent krausen on it.

IMG_20160629_070840.jpg

Are you certain your hydrometer vial doesn't have an infection?

It could and it wouldn't bother me. None of my hydrometer samples goes back into my wort or beer except on the rare occasion I take a pre-boil gravity sample, and that gets boiled for at least half an hour so it's not an infection vector for my brewery. In reality, though, I doubt it's an infection in the vial: I use the vial for measuring out my peracetic acid (it needs to be mixed from two bottles) for sanitization so it gets hit with sanitizer at about 75x concentration every brewday and bottling day. The yeasts/infections have behaved differently as well - the first held a nice krausen and fermented down to a reasonable FG, while the current one has already lost its krausen and is still within a point or two (plato) of the OG. Temperature could certainly be part of the equation, but I'm pretty sure it's a different microorganism this time around.

This is a pretty neat thread. I was looking for something like this because like, fat dragon, I have a hydrometer fermenting away. I brewed a saison Friday night. It ended rough sat morning so I went to bed and left the hydrometer sample with the hydrometer in it in the garage. Saturday I didn't get back out there until the kids went to bed but when I went to clean it I noticed it had some krausen built up and a lot of activity like I had pitched yeast. So I decided to put it in the house and keep and eye on it. It started at 1.064 and was in the 1.030s last night. I want to read through some of the other links in here to get some more info on what to do next.

Someone asked about a possible hydro infection. Still possible, but this is the first use of a new test jar, same hydrometer. The hydrometer I wash and put into a kitchen drawer. The test jar I just gave a good rinse because I didn't plan on keeping it, just clean enough to taste my brewday sample.

Well, I checked on it again, aaaaaand still bubbling... Slower, very slow, but still bubbling nonetheless.

It's been 23 days now lol. Crazy. Definitely not used to seeing any signs of life past a week really. *I should clarify, not bubbles from the air lock but bubbles coming up the sides of the carboy.

Well, I checked on it again, aaaaaand still bubbling... Slower, very slow, but still bubbling nonetheless.

It's been 23 days now lol. Crazy. Definitely not used to seeing any signs of life past a week really. *I should clarify, not bubbles from the air lock but bubbles coming up the sides of the carboy.

I see 4-6 months bottle conditioning in your future ;)

I haven't moved on the first wild yeast I caught yet, the starter beer is still in the jug in the fridge cold crashing after about three weeks of fermenting, but I brewed on Sunday and left my hydro sample out again, half forgetfully and half intentionally, and it's got a decent krausen on it.

That is definitely an active fermentation. But I can't help asking, what the heck happened to that surge protector behind the fermenting beer?!?! That looks like there is some sort of story that goes along with the char marks.

Well, I checked on it again, aaaaaand still bubbling...

It's been 23 days now lol.

Wild yeast doesn't always behave like cultivated yeast. Many commercial yeasts have been selected for their speed in fermenting a batch of beer (as well as other things).

Still... Bubbling lol. Very very very slowly, but it still is. I've learned patience though I suppose lol.

I wish it would hurry up! lol, I'm dying to know how this turns out. This thread has given me a few ideas but I haven't had time lately to do anything brewing related.

I wish it would hurry up! lol, I'm dying to know how this turns out. This thread has given me a few ideas but I haven't had time lately to do anything brewing related.

I hear ya bud. I've been working busy I haven't been able to do anything brewing related since this batch. Ready to get another brew going though. Ready for this one to clear up lol.

Mt last brett beer took a little over a month to ferment out. I know some people get their brett beers to finish much faster, but you just gotta wait it out!

Back