Gluten free white ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckholding

Reaction score
Knowing a bit about brewing and nothing about gluten free beer, I was challenged by my bro to make a white ipa. I thought I would try gluten free. Sourghum extracts seem light in color. But I wonder if it's possible to build enough gluten free body to balance a big ipa hop bill. Maybe dextrose to jack upon the sourghum extract to big body/alcohol? Or unroasted light grains like millet or quinoa? Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

-chuck-

i would say be easy on the sorghum or try and find an alternative.

i've attempted one GF beer and it was a flop... too much sorghum without enough other fermentables to balance leaves the impression of dirty laundry taste/smell... it was far from drinkable

Good call, I have never used sourghum and found it described as citrusy, which could go good with big hops, but dirty laundry citrusy is not want I am going for. Any one know of other gluten free bases for an extract brewer? or success with adjuncts that would enable a small sourgum base?

Hey man, you shoulda posted this in the Gluten-Free forum; I just found it because I'm putting together a gluten-free white IPA recipe right now and was looking around to see what people did for hops.

I've done a successful IPA with 3:1 sorghum:candi syrup, with lots of citrusy hops (Cascade, Columbus, Centennial) and some grapefruit zest, and all my non-GF friends tell me it's awesome (I think it's too spicy). I've heard nothing but good things about the Briess Brown Rice Syrup, so my plan is to use that (get it at highgravitybrew.com) instead of sorghum, or maybe 3:1 rice syrup:sorghum syrup. Plus maybe 1/3-lb per gallon of candi sugar (or just regular invert sugar). I always add about 1 oz maltodextrin per gallon of wort for mouth feel.

Not sure how to get a similar effect to adding wheat...steeping some gluten-free instant oats might do the trick, or maybe some quinoa. DON'T use buckwheat, it will add a deep earthy flavor not appropriate for a beer of this style.

Also FWIW I brewed an 8% ABV double IPA with almost all chinook hops, using 2:2:1 sorghum:rice syrup:amber candi syrup, and it's f***ing delicious. I think I added about 4 oz of maltodextrin for my 3 gallon batch. So yes, it totally can be done!

Very cool, I wimped out and did just a straight white iPa after all. Just got new gear so I will be brewing more and may circle back to the idea. Thanks for the input!

Back