Gluten Free Imperial Blonde Braggot. Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
My brother and I made this brew and I wasn't sure what to expect. But it came out really well. So well that I'm going to post my first recipe with it. Hope you dig it too!

GF Imperial Blonde Braggot

Batch size 5 gal
Boil size 6 gal
OG: 1.071
FG: 1.01
IBU: 38
SRM: 6.8
ABV: 8%

Extracts:
#7 White Sorghum Syurp
#3 Honey (we put 1/2 at boil start an 1/2 at 10 min to preserve some honey profile)

Hops:
0.5 oz. Magnum 13% 60 min
0.5 oz. Centennial 9% 20 min
0.5 oz. Centennial 9% Flame out

Additives:
3 tsp yeast nutrient at 10 min
4 tsp diammonium phosphate at 10 min

Yeast: Nottingham 1 pack.. did not rehydrate.
(Although the Danstar Belle Saison would work very nicely with this.)

Cooled to 68 and pitched yeast. Did not filter out the hops. Primary at 68 for 3 weeks. Bottled after 3 weeks in primary and bottle conditioned for 2 more weeks.

I believe that yeast nutrients are necessary for this beer. To ensure the yeast have enough nutrients to start and complete a good ferment.

Tasting notes:

Flowers and honey aroma. Big, mellow, rich malty flavor, and a wee boozy after 2 weeks in the bottle. Nice golden color. It's a little sweet and very satisfying. I love it. My wifey loves it. My brother loves it. Home run!

Improvements or alterations:
Would be great with a Belgian yeast. Might also consider a 40 minute hop addition next time. Probably try to get the ibu up around 45-50.

ps: before the linguistic nazis jump on me let me clarify that technically this brew would probably be considered a 'Tella' instead of a Braggot. As Sorghum is native to Africa, and a honey / sorghum mix is known as Tella in Ethiopia. Braggot is a mix of honey and malted barley. But for simplicity sake, I think Braggot is a fine summation.

Definitely not a linguistic Nazi as I had to google both "Braggot" and "Tella". My first impression was with all that honey it was a sort of mead and after reading the definition of Braggot, I understand why you call it that. What kind of honey did you use?

I used the 'cheap stuff' from our local grocery store. Single #3 bottle of clover honey.

I'm gonna brew this up on Tuesday but with slightly different hops. I'm looking for a little less of an IBU count as I'm gifting this to a few friends who have Celiac and they're not too big on overly hoppy beers. Doing 1 oz of Cascade at 60, .5 oz Cascade at 20, and another .5 oz at flameout. Should still have nice citrusy notes, just not as bitter or hoppy. I'll let ya know how it comes out.

Im happy to see some interest in this beer. I had one the other day which has been bottle-aged about 4 months now. It's a great beer. Carbonates well, very little / no head. But it's so smooth. Dadgum it's smooth. I think it could use a little more bitterness, but that may just be my palate.

Please post your results, I'm excited to hear your experiences! Cheers

Last edited:
Back