Gluten Burns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MandingaBIAB

Reaction score
I use clarityferm to make all of my beers gluten free. But that doesn't help the way that the gluten burns my skin during the mash. Any time grain touches my skin during milling or mashing I get burns from the gluten. How have you avoided this?

From what I know, clarityferm doesn't make a beer gluten free - they just claim it to make it "gluten reduced." If you're sensitive enough to gluten that it's actually burning your skin, I don't know that I'd risk consuming the end product, were I in your shoes.

That said - to answer your initial question, all I can think of is good quality gloves, and long sleeve shirts/long pants to protect as much skin as possible from contact during milling, then most likely just the gloves during the mash.

I use clarityferm to make all of my beers gluten free. But that doesn't help the way that the gluten burns my skin during the mash. Any time grain touches my skin during milling or mashing I get burns from the gluten. How have you avoided this?

Really? I was unaware that gluten could burn anything...

If it is affecting your skin, that sounds different than a celiac type reaction, so I'm just guessing at the reaction. Does regular finished beer affect your skin? If all else fails, get some awesome mad scientist gloves.

Yeah to echo, clarityferm doesn't eliminate all of the gluten in beer. To help you during the mash you could get industrial gloves that go most of the way up your arm if that's a problem

You gotta stop first wort hopping with poison ivy. As soon as I stopped doing that it cleared right up. Try warrior or magnum instead.

Something doesn't ring true here.

If you're that sensitive to gluten so as to get an immediate dermatological response suggestive of an anaphylactic reaction if exposed to it in greater quantities, consuming gluten in any form including beer would be completely off the table.

Severe acute allergic reactions to gluten are not typically seen and inconsistent with coeliac disease. Even the popular non-medically diagnosed pseudo gluten intolerances touted so readily in modern western societies does not exhibit these qualities. Maybe you've developed a new super strong variant.

Gluten primarily exhibits it's effects on the villi and micro-villi in the lining of the jejunal mucosa not on the keratinized stratified dermal tissue. Coeliac disease is no joke, exhibits a spectrum of severity and is very common in Celtic and Icelandic gene pools among others. While intra-oral lesions are often seen, lesions affecting non-mucosal tissues are not typical.

You should probably seek advice from your primary care physician and/or a dermatologist or an endocrinologist. This sounds very serious.

I would recommend that you brew with gluten free ingredients and don't try to rely on a chemical/ingredient to remove the gluten. Especially an ingredient that is originally made for making beer more clear.

I'm with Zebulon actually - after my first response I checked out this guys other posts. Something seems a little fishy...

From one of the OP's other posts:
"with my BIAB setup I use a course grain regimen because it helps the wort to be viable but not so viable that final gravity ends up being too low for the best taste. Enzyme concentration is very rich in the confines of the grain bag and can cause FG to be much too low."

Huh? Full of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back