Giving to friends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mskin

Reaction score
So I've kegged my first beers, and I love them! How can I share this with people? Can I just fill growlers or mason jars and expect them to hold their fizz for a day or two? How long after filling a growler is the beer still drinkable?

Most places I have gotten a growler filled recommend consuming in 72 hours. I have pushed a week and the beer was still good though.

You need to sanitize the growler or other vessel the same as you would a keg or bottles. The biggest issues I would expect are oxidization and loss of carbonation, especially in a larger container where a person may spread drinking it over several days.

I use a PVC hose that screws into my faucet. They make them that just slip into the faucet if you don't have threaded nozzles.

Just run the hose/tube down into the growler/bottle and fill. Cap. Share.

Growlers tend to lose carbonation once they are opened and some is poured out, and then there is the oxidation issue. If they will be consuming the beer in the near future, no big deal. Otherwise, bottles may be a better option.

Back