Give me your best recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bourbeusebrew

Reaction score
If you can stand to give out your secrets then fill us in. I'm sure everyone on here could benefit from this and it might help those of us who could use some more ideas. The plan here is too spread ideas and hopefully help my brewing partners and I select some recipes for the start of our craft brewery. So pick your favorite and put it on us!

Best beer recipe in the entire world:

das malt

das hops

das water

My favorite recipes are already posted in the database, as are most others'.

If you take a gander at the database, you should find quite a few great recipes of all styles.

Did he really just ask for everyone's recipes so he could steal them to make money? Unless you are going to compensate me for it, I don't think so.

As Yooper stated...for those of us who are willing to share their cherished recipes with the forum, they have most likely already posted them in the recipe database here. As for the rest of us recipe hoarders...cold dead hands is all I have to say to you fine sir.

Did he really just ask for everyone's recipes so he could steal them to make money? Unless you are going to compensate me for it, I don't think so.

Meh, many of my favorite recipes are posted. As an 18 year old who never brewed before (and is banned from our forum since he's underaged), I'm not really all that worried.

no...I'm not questioning why he was banned, just if he was, since we are speaking on deaf ears if he was.

In other news, if you're old enough to serve and die for your country, you're old enough to have a beer DAMMIT! 'nuff said!

no...I'm not questioning why he was banned, just if he was, since we are speaking on deaf ears if he was.

In other news, if you're old enough to serve and die for your country, you're old enough to have a beer DAMMIT! 'nuff said!

Sure, I agree. However, it is not legal in the US for anyone under legal age to brew. Since the legal age is 21 in every state, anyone under that age is not allowed to participate in the forum.

I'm sure when I was 18 I was good enough in math to subtract 21 from 2011. If they are not, then they can't participate. Our forum has a spot to aver that you are of legal age when you sign up. If someone is not able to a) state that they are of legal age, and b) put in a birthdate showing that, then they are not allowed to participate in this forum.

This is not up for debate.

wow...Yooper...I love you...but please calm down...I'm not debating your reasoning for giving him the boot...just making a point from one service member to many others on this forum.

sorry for making you feel I was trying to debate the issue...not my intent....just flexing my American-rights on the issue.

sorry for making you feel I was trying to debate the issue...not my intent....just flexing my American-rights on the issue.

'taint the place for flexing your rights. Our rules are our rules, and not up for discussion, opinions, thoughts, or input.

This is actually off-topic in a technical forum, so even this is beyond what is allowed. I just wanted to give a brief explanation of our rules. The general "chit chat", "drunken ramblings" and other forums are the place for OT or Debate chatter.

As a former soldier, what I think or feel doesn't matter a whit. The rules- no OT chatter in technical forums, no one under legal age, no debate or politics outside of the Debate forum, etc. apply.

I just found it quite amusing that he wanted our best recipes to to get a brewery going. It'd take the fun out of learning the craft to me.

If you can stand to give out your secrets then fill us in. I'm sure everyone on here could benefit from this and it might help those of us who could use some more ideas. The plan here is too spread ideas and hopefully help my brewing partners and I select some recipes for the start of our craft brewery. So pick your favorite and put it on us!

I could of course Share Recipes, but considering they are copyrighted in my book, thus using them for profit other than personal use would open you up to a huge lawsuit, i think ill save us both the trouble. :mug:

is Ballast Point Sculpin IPA really and exact copy of the Northern Brewer IPA recipe? if so, how can they legally sell that beer?

bourbeusebrew said:

Get about 10 pounds of 2row

Mash at 185F
Spathe with 2 gallons at 135F
Boil for about 20minutes
Don't forget to triple hop
Heat the yeast to about 100f before pitching
Ferment for about 4 days an drink

Enjoy

I'm sure when I was 18 I was good enough in math to subtract 21 from 2011. If they are not, then they can't participate.

BAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! :ban: :rockin:

I could of course Share Recipes, but considering they are copyrighted in my book, thus using them for profit other than personal use would open you up to a huge lawsuit, i think ill save us both the trouble. :mug:

Same here. If ever hear of anyone taking my Pilsner + Saaz SMASH recipe, I'LL SUE THE **** OUTA THEM! I'M WATCHIN' YOU FRUCKERS!

Seriously, I highly doubt you can copyright recipes. And publishing said recipes, then getting pissed when they get re-used seems a little *****ey to me.

'taint the place for flexing your rights. Our rules are our rules, and not up for discussion, opinions, thoughts, or input.

This is actually off-topic in a technical forum, so even this is beyond what is allowed. I just wanted to give a brief explanation of our rules. The general "chit chat", "drunken ramblings" and other forums are the place for OT or Debate chatter.

As a former soldier, what I think or feel doesn't matter a whit. The rules- no OT chatter in technical forums, no one under legal age, no debate or politics outside of the Debate forum, etc. apply.

+1000. Why do we feel so entitled that our "rights" trump rules of private businesses and organizations?

- angry voicemail about a customer's "rights".

Last edited by a moderator:
BAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! :ban: :rockin:

Seriously, I highly doubt you can copyright recipes. And publishing said recipes, then getting pissed when they get re-used seems a little *****ey to me.

Ok its not that i have a problem with anyone using them i dont that is why i published the book was to share my style of brewing with fellow home brewers. But If a brewery Put out a recipe from my book,and was making a profit from my book, without at least acknowledgement of where the recipe came from, or a royalty for using it, HELL YA i am gonna be pissed. You are also wrong you can copyright recipe's, my whole book is copyrighted, Now if a brewery wants to contact me, and acknowledge where they got the recipe on the bottle,or pay me a royalty to use it, hell i would be thrilled.

It's still a work in progress, but I'm rather proud of the result.

HellfirePorter.jpg

75% efficiency
5 gallon all-grain
1.044 OG
4.7% ABV
39.6 IBUs

9.0 lbs 2-row malt
0.5 lbs chocolate malt
0.25 lbs de-bittered black malt
0.5 lbs brown malt

0.75 oz Target (10.7%) 60 min
0.75 oz Hallertau (6.2%) 15 min
0.25 ozHallertau (6.2) 5 min

8 oz cocoa powder (secondary)
3 chopped dried ancho chilis (secondary)

White Labs WLP002 English Ale yeast

Primary: 2 weeks @ 65F
Secondary: 2 weeks @ 75F

Bottle conditioned for 3 weeks

I basically took a generic porter recipe and added some dark cocoa powder and dried chilis in secondary as an experiment. While it turned out pretty damned good, it's not quite what I was going for. With the ancho chilis, the heat is most noticeable at the back of the throat, while I was hoping to have it blend in with the chocolate flavors a bit more. I'm thinking about trying a mix of serrano and either jalapeno or poblano peppers next time to get a more pronounced burn that mixes in with the cholocate and the coffee flavors a bit more. I also screwed up the batch sparging by leaving the damned ball valve open when adding the last few gallons of sparge water, killing my efficiency. I'll update this recipe when I can remember to not do that again.

Even so, it's a pretty good beer on its own. My girlfriend (who only kinda likes some beer) absolutely loves this one and is really starting to get into darker beers like porters and stouts. Over the weekend, we went to BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse and she loved their Imperial Stout so much she chugged 2 within the space of 10 minutes.

Yes, I drove back home. No, I only had one beer.

Latest posts

Back