Girly Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "girly man" commercial is so funny. Drink triple hopped Miller Light,it's for manly men! We're men,we're manly men,men in tights! You say we wear tights,we'll put up a fight,that's right! We may look like pansies,don't say we wear tights,or else,we'll put out your lights! (from Robin Hood,men in tights).
Lolz,these BMC's are getting goofy. My wife will sit down with me & nothing more than a bottle of Quervo especial gold,& a bottle of Rose's lime juice. Or craft beer & shots of vodka,bourbon,whiskey...even Yeagermeister. She also likes it when we can afford to try a craft beer we haven't had yet. She prefers that to BMC,but will drink them if that's all we can afford (mostly Stroh's 30 packs on sale). But she likes my ales most of all,they're really good to her. And she'll say so in a heart beat. Gotta luv a woman like that. Now that she brews too,she kinda lights up when I'm going to the LHBS,she'll go in with me & check out the kits & such.:ban::ban::ban:

I was at a nice Irish Restaurant last night with my wife, a friend & his fiance. She had a Guinness, my friend & I each had a Boddington's. I'd say if anything her beer was the "manlier" choice.

I know plenty of women who like the same, or stronger beers than I do. Not sure it has anything to do with gender. My sister in law loves Imperial Stout.

Wow! I go away for a few hours and this thread turned into a war of the sexes. I was more concerned with the desciption of us as "pompous hops-huffing hobbyists" or sweaty, knuckle-dragging cro-magnons"! I guess I should have had a different title than Girly Beer. :drunk:

I am staying out of this one since I can't convey my thoughts without sound sexist. F it, here it goes.

There is a reason every bar in my college town stocks only lights beers, woodchuck and fruity mixed drinks in rentable spaces frequented by sororities...because they sell.

At the same time the college guys and townie men drink up the light beers like prohibition was about to be on us.

Well based on my wife, girley beer styles are: barley wines, wee heavy, imperial stout, stout, dubble, tripple, sassion

I am staying out of this one since I can't convey my thoughts without sound sexist. F it, here it goes.

There is a reason every bar in my college town stocks only lights beers, woodchuck and fruity mixed drinks in rentable spaces frequented by sororities...because they sell.

At the same time the college guys and townie men drink up the light beers like prohibition was about to be on us.

I totally agree. I would place a large bet that the females that frequent HBT are not part of the group that buys flavored light beers, fruity mixed drinks, and woodchuck...but that doesn't mean the general populace is the same. The fact that females drink more of those type of drinks (and that we point that out) shouldn't make us sexist. But based on previous posts, it's apparently pretty "condescending, rude, and demeaning."

Just because it's girly beer doesn't mean it has to be prissy.

girl-beer.jpg
knotty-blonde.jpg

I totally agree. I would place a large bet that the females that frequent HBT are not part of the group that buys flavored light beers, fruity mixed drinks, and woodchuck...but that doesn't mean the general populace is the same. The fact that females drink more of those type of drinks (and that we point that out) shouldn't make us sexist. But based on previous posts, it's apparently pretty "condescending, rude, and demeaning."

People get the same way about BMC. A LOT of members here get offended when you point out bud/miller/coors produce the highest selling beers in the world, and that almost the entire beer drinking populous prefers light lagers. People just put too much stock in their opinions when they stand out from the crowd, and feel they carry more weight because of it.

Women, hard to please, and when you do please 'em, they still *****....

Sounds like a first wife to me. Don't worry, if you do things right the second wife is easy to please and happy most all of the time.

Agreed, sista! It is an oft overstated assumption. You should see the looks I get when I order a pint of Guinness! All based on some silly stereotype! :rolleyes:

no offense, but you do realize that guinness IS a girly, light beer, right?
It has less calories than American Lagers and has almost no body, for a porter (no, it's not really a stout).

That said, my wife has excellent taste in beer, but she likes guinness also. I don't think it is bad at all, just overrated.

guinness . . . (no, it's not really a stout).

Care to explain?

More on the subject of the thread, I was amused yesterday when a young woman beside me at the bar got a taster of Maharaja, but ordered a Modus Hoperandi, saying "I love hops, but I need something a little mellower right now." It would really stoke the fire if I revealed that she was a lesbian, so I won't do that.

Honestly, I think women in general are more receptive to craft beer styles than men are. What women, again in general, do not like is American lager. I often find at tastings, if you can introduce a woman to different beer styles, she almost never chooses the light lager as her favorite. Most often it is either an IPA (flowery examples e.g., centennial) or richer style such as scotch ales.

There are more women here than people realize, I think. Otherwise the guys wouldn't be so offensive to us.

Me too.

Hilarious that they're going to try to market that. To women or men. It's like marketing a watery and sweet whisky, or something.

It has less calories than American Lagers and has almost no body, for a porter (no, it's not really a stout).

That said, my wife has excellent taste in beer, but she likes guinness also. I don't think it is bad at all, just overrated.

Who the **** taught you about beer? Guinness may be a less than 5% alcohol beer, but it is definitely a stout. Look up "dry stout", please. Your ignorance is insulting.

This thread may be the nail in the coffin for me on this board. The ignorance, the sexism, the bull**** that people spew here is beyond me. Stupid.

Just throwing this out there I have seen other products geared towards women that I thought was a desperate ploy like the new pink rock stars I think that most woman that think for themselves will see right through this yet woman like Paris Hilton will jump all over it. But men are just as stupid when miller high life had camo cans rednecks could get enough of it. I see this a another stupid marketing ploy just to see if it sells.
Also its super sexy when a lady knows lots about beer and drinks the good stuff

Who the **** taught you about beer? Guinness may be a less than 5% alcohol beer, but it is definitely a stout. Look up "dry stout", please. Your ignorance is insulting.

This thread may be the nail in the coffin for me on this board. The ignorance, the sexism, the bull**** that people spew here is beyond me. Stupid.

There's stupid people everywhere, in community. It can't be helped. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Hey, so is it, like...not gonna be cool for me (dude) to order a Coors Animee at the bar? Is everyone gonna laugh at me??....but I like 'em....they're so....fun. BUT they are for girls after all...guess I'll just have to drink them when no one's around ....anyone have the Animee clone recipe yet? :rolls eyes:

13A. Dry Stout

Commercial Examples: Guinness Draught Stout (also canned), Murphy's Stout, Beamish Stout, O’Hara’s Celtic Stout, Russian River O.V.L. Stout, Three Floyd’s Black Sun Stout, Dorothy Goodbody’s Wholesome Stout, Orkney Dragonhead Stout, Old Dominion Stout, Goose Island Dublin Stout, Brooklyn Dry Stout

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php

Just saying :cross:

When I first started dating my lady she was drinking coors light. Within 6 months she was ordering IPA's at the bar.

Ladies like good beer... they just need to try it.

Yooper said:
I'm not offended at all by Michelob, but by the way you "presented" it as something only fit for females. It came across as condescending, rude, and demeaning. The other females in this thread would agree with me, based on their responses.

I've seen more than one guy drinking Michelob Ultra.

I think it makes Michelob come off as condescending. If they would just make good beer they wouldn't need any silly marketing gimmicks.

*Puts hand up*
I had a few Michelob's a couple of years back, thought they were ok. Much better tasting than most of the tat we had available on tap up in Manchester anyway.

I actually clicked the "vote yes" button on that site, not because I think girls can't drink beer and need something more "girly". I know a number of girls that love beer. But because I feel all the current beers are branded towards men, and a new beer that at least trys not to leave women out can only be a good thing if done right. Once a brand is accepted theres no reason it can't then be used to bring out better beers.

I guess my point is, if a new beer brand is needed to get more women drinking beer then I don't see why not. The women on this site are the already converted and are obviously not the target for this new beer brand. We're all beer lovers, anything that broadens the number of people enjoying beer can't be all bad.

My wife doesn't really go crazy for craft beer like I do, but she refuses to drink BMC. She was raised in Europe and by far her favorite style are good German Pilsners, but she'll try anything I give her.
Beer sexism isn't confined to the US. Our first day in Belgium a bartender poured a BelleVue Kriek for my wife, telling her that this is what all the women in Belgium drink. After 1 sip she gave it back and took my Orval from me.

I thought the move by the BMC breweries to start putting out very low calorie beer or beer with fruit flavorings was more of an effort to attract people that do not like the taste of the "conventional beers" put out by these companies. Kind of like how coke, pepsi and doctor pepper have been putting out cherry, lime, vanilla versions of their products as well as different versions of their diet/low/zero calorie drinks. Show the public you are trying something "new" with their interest in mind.

If I am in my late twenties to early thirties [like many of the people in these Mich Ultra, Bud Select 55, MGD 64 commercials] and I was not a drinker of the traditional versions or previous light versions of the BMC beers, then I might see these new brews by BMC companies as trying to give me more options. I never really thought that these beers were targeted towards women. It seemed that they were targeted towards the "wine cooler crowd" of the mid 1980's (for people that don't like wine) rather just a specific gender.

This new "tall skinny" diet pepsi can is a completely different matter.

I have a guy friend who drinks Michelob Ultra and MGD64, although I see a LOT more women drinking it than men. I think men just drink a lot more beer than women, and those super low calorie beers are an offering geared towards people who aren't that into beer. I can drink a Bud Light, it's not a favorite but it's pretty inoffensive. The Select 55 / Ultra / 64 beers taste like water.

My wife likes IPAs in the 100-120 IBU range, and will drink scotch whisky straight that's so strong and smokey it tastes like your drinking a campfire. Most of my guy friends on the other hand, drink Bud, Coors, Miller, and yes, Michelob.

Yooper said:
I bet I could brew the ass off of you.

This is hilarious :D my LHBS is a family business, the mom is in her 50s and can brew the ass off of most of her customers. And im pretty sure she doesn't drink Mich Ultra raspberry pomegranate

Sounds like a first wife to me. Don't worry, if you do things right the second wife is easy to please and happy most all of the time.

I meant that in a funny way, my SWMBO is awesome. Just not a good match for the non-light lager brews. She will drink MGD 64, Miller Lite, and occasionally my HEFE's. Once in a great while she will drink a brown ale.

No one should be offended here by my opinions.... :mug:

Well it looks like there will be some competition
http://chickbeer.com/

No beer that appeals to women?

I thought plenty of craft breweries made beer that appeals to women. And men. And dogs. And just about anything that has a tongue with functioning taste buds.

Sad proof that marketing is oftentimes more important than the actual product.

OK. Lemme see if I understand.

I'm a neanderthal who doesn't like the kind of beer sold to 90% of the male and / or female population. Good.

90% of the women on this forum don't like either that type of beer, nor the "oblong popplegranite" beers that the corporate marketing types want all of us to swallow (pun intended). Good.

I think most of us here M/F - enjoy whatever beer we enjoy. I'm good.

BTW. Mess with Yooper at your own risk. You may be crushed by the powers that be on the board - Yoop can do that on her own as well, and has.....

Dave

Brew on! :mug:

BTW. Mess with Yooper at your own risk. You may be crushed by the powers that be on the board - Yoop can do that on her own as well, and has.....

Dave

Brew on! :mug:

Jeez, I didn't mean to come across as such a hard-ass. I just hate when a few guys are demeaning to female brewers/craft brew drinkers. I don't mean any ill will, I just expressed myself. I don't think anybody, male or female, should be denigrated because of their sex.

"Oh, you're a girly man! Have a pomegranite beer!" is not what I'd say to a metro-ish guy. Why would someone say something like that to me?!?

Sorry if I came across as demeaning or condescending!

Back