Girly Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Women already have their own brand of beer - Michelob Ultra.

Michelob ULTRA
Michelob ULTRA Amber
Michelob ULTRA Lime Cactus
Michelob ULTRA Pomegranate Raspberry
Michelob ULTRA Tuscan Orange Grapefruit

"less gassy"

Sounds like some marketing B.S. to me. Chances are this will be the same product repackaged and rebranded.

This is silly. Just because I have a vagina doesn't mean I have to drink crappy beer!

Personally, I find these branded chick beer things offensive and stupid.

This is silly. Just because I have a vagina doesn't mean I have to drink crappy beer!

Agreed, sista! It is an oft overstated assumption. You should see the looks I get when I order a pint of Guinness! All based on some silly stereotype! :rolleyes:

Michelob ULTRA
Michelob ULTRA Amber

There are more women here than people realize, I think. Otherwise the guys wouldn't be so offensive to us.

There are more women here than people realize, I think. Otherwise the guys wouldn't be so offensive to us.

They are rather offensive sometimes aren't they? I've noticed some pretty disrespectful comments and I've only been hanging around here the last month or so.

They are rather offensive sometimes aren't they? I've noticed some pretty disrespectful comments and I've only been hanging around here the last month or so.

They're actually better than most other homebrewing forums. I think many assume that on a brewing forum that the other members on the forum are guys, but I've always been treated pretty well overall.

Really, we're all here for brewing information. That fact that many of us become friends (on the forum and in real life) is just a bonus!

Do you truly believe that Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry isn't a beer that was geared toward the female demographic?

Do you truly believe that Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry isn't a beer that was geared toward the female demographic?

Do you truly believe that women brewers on this forum enjoy being treated condescendingly? I see men drinking **** beer also.

I bet I could brew the ass off of you.

Do you truly believe that women brewers on this forum enjoy being treated condescendingly? I see men drinking **** beer also.

I bet I could brew the ass off of you.

Where is this hostility coming from? I think it's clear that Michelob geared their "flavors" line of Michelob Ultra to the female demographic (even if you avoided my question and/or won't admit to it). Of course, individuals have the right to drink whatever they want, but I don't understand how Michelob brewing these beers geared towards beer-drinking females is offensive to you. I'd be happy to listen to your response as long as it doesn't have profanity this time.

I am not a women but the wife is. In the summer she loves her wheat beers of all shapes and sizes. In the winter she switches to stouts. Some stouts that are even to thick for my tastes! While she is not a true "hop head" and dislikes 90% of IPAs, she will drink some pretty strong beers and never skip a beat.

My favorite comments from her, are the ones in the liquor store. We were walking by a Coors light display and it had a sign on it that read "Free case of water with every purchase." I ignore it because it is BMC but the wife stops and points at the sign and says, "Look honey!!! It is BOGO on cases of water." *snicker *snicker *snicker ;)

They're actually better than most other homebrewing forums. I think many assume that on a brewing forum that the other members on the forum are guys, but I've always been treated pretty well overall.

Really, we're all here for brewing information. That fact that many of us become friends (on the forum and in real life) is just a bonus!

Yes we are, and hopefully we can show these men that not all women like michelob ultra or something akin to it. In fact, I'm not sure I would even classify that as beer.

IMO, life is way too short to drink light beer, let alone "ultra" light beer. I bet my husband would like it though. ;)

Where is this hostility coming from? I think it's clear that Michelob geared their "flavors" line of Michelob Ultra to the female demographic (even if you avoided my question and/or won't admit to it). Of course, individuals have the right to drink whatever they want, but I don't understand how Michelob brewing these beers geared towards beer-drinking females is offensive to you. I'd be happy to listen to your response as long as it doesn't have profanity this time.

I'm not offended at all by Michelob, but by the way you "presented" it as something only fit for females. It came across as condescending, rude, and demeaning. The other females in this thread would agree with me, based on their responses.

I've seen more than one guy drinking Michelob Ultra.

I am betting that there is just as many men out there as women that prefer light to super light beers. And there's nothing wrong with that. I just hate being stereotyped. :)

I'll be more impressed when they start advertising Beer: For women, By women. and have a wide range of ..well.. anything from Stouts to light beers, to flavored beers.

Anyone seems to get flack when there's flavors involved for some reason. Even non-beer: Gotta have a rum and coke, no margarita. (I like my tiki drinks.)

I'm not offended at all by Michelob, but by the way you "presented" it as something only fit for females. It came across as condescending, rude, and demeaning. The other females in this thread would agree with me, based on their responses.

I think he is claiming that beers with fruit flavoring are geared towards women. I actually find this opposite when I home brew. The SWMBO and her friends tend to shy away from the beers I make that are fermented with fruit (Rasperry Wheat, Blackberry wheat, and so on). I like these more then the classic american pilsner I make which seems to be a favorite with all the women who try my homebrew. I guess what I am saying is fruit flavor != women in my experience.

Am I just imagining that Michelob Ultra is the only beer where over 50% of the drinkers are female?

Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. My significant other likes stouts. So what?

I think he is claiming that beers with fruit flavoring are geared towards women.

Well, Michelob Ultra (the normal stuff) is already an extremely popular beer with females based on actual market data. After that was established, Michelob released the flavors line with advertising campaigns clearly geared toward women. However, mentioning these two things is apparently "condescending, rude, and demeaning."

Am I just imagining that Michelob Ultra is the only beer where over 50% of the drinkers are female?

Well, Michelob Ultra (the normal stuff) is already an extremely popular beer with females based on actual market data. After that was established, Michelob released the flavors line with advertising campaigns clearly geared toward women. However, mentioning these two things is apparently "condescending, rude, and demeaning."

Well, my brother owns a store the sells UFC fighting equipment. It is located inside a UFC style training gym. Most of his friends/customers from the gym that I have been to the bar with seem to drink Michelob Ultra or whatever the miller one is that is super low on calories. I think the target for these beers is people who want to stay is shape and still drink beer. The commercials usually show someone working off the calories of a bigger beer as joke. So not exclusively women.

Michelob ULTRA
Michelob ULTRA Amber

You want us to believe that all of the information and intent of post 2 is implicit in post 1.

Right.

How is it possible to make something lighter than Coors Light? I mean seriously, it's just carbonated water. I've had plenty of guys around here at the bars ask me why I'm drinking "that heavy ****" when I order a pitcher of Boulevard WHEAT.

There's absolutely nothing manly about liking "strong" beer. I actually find that girls are more apt to trying craft brews (and liking them) as opposed to guys, since I guess some men can't get around "brand loyalty" or whatever the hell you call it. If they want to spend the rest of their life drinking light beer and pissing 12 times a night, so be it.

My wife is the one who introduced me to high quality IPAs and such. If it wasn't for her, I'd still be drinking whatever they had on sale at the corner grocery store.

Actually if you have seen the ads you have Lance Armstrong pushing the pi$$ out of Ultra.........my.02

I just saw this: http://bites.today.com/_news/2011/07/21/7134284-do-women-need-their-own-brand-of-beer

Are we "pompous hops-huffing hobbyists" or sweaty, knuckle-dragging cro-magnons"?

I thought Bud Light, Coors Light and Miller Lite were girly beers. They want to make beers lighter than that?!

double-facepalm.jpg

I am not a women but the wife is. In the summer she loves her wheat beers of all shapes and sizes. In the winter she switches to stouts. Some stouts that are even to thick for my tastes! While she is not a true "hop head" and dislikes 90% of IPAs, she will drink some pretty strong beers and never skip a beat.

My favorite comments from her, are the ones in the liquor store. We were walking by a Coors light display and it had a sign on it that read "Free case of water with every purchase." I ignore it because it is BMC but the wife stops and points at the sign and says, "Look honey!!! It is BOGO on cases of water." *snicker *snicker *snicker ;)

Thanks for clarifying! :D

I'd kind of have to agree with the thought that a lot of the light, fruity beers are geared toward women. Not that it's right or that women don't like real beer. It's just that marketing departments tend to think that way.

It seems like there are a bunch of contributing issues:

First, you have the taste divide created in equal parts by the expectations of society and the attitudes of advertisers. You can see it more clearly in liquor. People assume that women do not like to drink things that burn like liquor, ignoring the fact that those flavors are often an acquired taste for anyone. as a result, women are told that whiskey and vodka are man drinks, while cosmos and ****tinis are girl drinks. The girl drinks taste more like candy than liquor, supporting the (false) assumption of female beverage choice. In turn advertisers shy away from selling scotch to women, and the cycle is perpetuated.

This dichotomy of booze is also indicative of a more disturbing trend in the intoxicant industry. In the current sexist construct, alcohol is either a craft to savor or a way to act crazy for men. You are supposed to be strong and *like* the alcohol bite or the hop bitterness, because men are supposedly able to withstand it and even savor it.

On the other side women are expected not to like the taste of alcohol, because they are supposed to be too delicate to get over the burn and enjoy it. It is simply not ladylike in this flawed construct to like the taste. As a result the flavor is masked without sacrificing the intoxicant quality of alcohol, and thus booze becomes for women not something to enjoy, but something to get down their gullets before their tongues realize it. And this of course (and I hate to drag this into a forum conversation) strongly implies that alcohol for women is simply a substance used to lower their inhibitions for sex. Most "girly" drinks are made with the intent of getting a person drunker than they would initially estimate, as the taste of the sugar masks the alcohol, leading one to drink more than is originally intended.

As for the "light' beer being a girls drink, this again exhibits the expectation of society for men to just take it, even if they are full or don't want that much alcohol, while women are expected to be obsessed with self image. The light beer is a girly beer because it has less calories, and women are expected to be so obsessed with their BMI that they can only allow themselves 64 calories when enjoying a beer. Once again, taste is not an issue because being a beer connoisseur is not something a woman is expected to be even *able* to do.

I say reject the stereotypes! Men, have a light beer if you really want! Order a sidecar with a sugared rim if you like it! Women, drink RIS and scotch! Smoke cigars and be able to taste the difference between Willamette and Magnum hops, or between a Rocky Patel and a Flor Dominicana!

And most of all, screw the advertising firms that support the status quo!

/anti chauvinist rant

My SWMBO drinks MGD 64 and thinks its great !! Best beer ever..

I tell her it's like water with beer flavor added.... :ban:

I say, I have 10gal + of good beer on tap, why drink that Sh$! ?

Women, hard to please, and when you do please 'em, they still *****....

I'm sitting here drinking a 8% abv biere de garde with brett and other funky ****, the kind of thing that would make an Ultra drinker pass out.

I work out so that I can enjoy things like this guilt free and still maintain my health.
Women do not need there own girly beer series. There's plenty of options out there, let everyone decide which they prefer. Or better yet, become a homebrewer and make up a style of there own.

Latest posts

Back