Gingerbread Beer (BIAB with 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4JBrew

Reaction score
Greetings. I just brewed my first BIAB after several extract brews under my belt. Not intending to start yet another Primary/Secondary thread, but I hoping someone with experience with this yeast strain can help me out here. I made a 2.5 Gallon batch of Gingerbread Ale pitching 1728 into a 6 Gallon glass carboy. I have a 2.5 Gallon vessel I was intending to use as a secondary, but don't want to if I don't have to. I'm going to be away from my home in about 7 days and will be gone for 10 days. My plan was to keep in primary for 7 days, transfer to secondary for 14 days, bottle. The questions I have are:

1.) Will keeping the 2.5 G in a 6 Gallon carboy cause any problems if left in for 3 weeks?

2.) Will the 1728 yeast do well in Primary for that long?

Temp of room where fermenter is stored is about 66-68 F.

I would just leave it for three weeks in the primary (that would be my standard procedure anyway), and avoid taking the stopper out so that you can maintain a good CO2 blanket for the full three weeks since you have so much headspace. Any ale yeast will do fine for that amount of time, regardless of the strain.

Sounds like you're on your way to some nice holiday ale.
1. I'm not a secondary type person. I leave all my ales in primary for at least 3 weeks. The extra headspace shouldn't matter since your beer will have a nice blanket of CO2 over it.
2. Can't see why it wouldn't. At 3 weeks, it should be done cleaning up the last bits of fermentation.
I BIAB also and have fun with it.
What spices are you using?

Awesome, thank you both for the quick replies! Spices may be a little heavy for a 2.5 G batch, but...

10 mins before flame out:
1 Cinnamon Stick

5 mins before flame out:
1/8 tsp ground all spice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger

wort sample tasted awesome!!! hehe

Efficiency wasn't that great (70%)...I missed my target OG 1.061 and ended up with 1.052.... First BIAB....mashed @156, and was able to maintain that temperature for an hour without adding additional heat. Looking forward to doing it again soon!

I too would leave it in the primary for 3 weeks rather than transfer. You'll have no risk of oxidation and less risk of infection. Curious though... do you do small batches regularly and if so, why not purchase a 3gal carboy?

Did you make the recipe yourself? I'm definitely interested in hearing the results.

Looks like it will turn out awesome. Enjoy! Although you lost me on the cloves. I have a fear of clove flavor myself. I ate one out of a ham when I was a kid and the taste made me...well you know.

I too would leave it in the primary for 3 weeks rather than transfer. You'll have no risk of oxidation and less risk of infection. Curious though... do you do small batches regularly and if so, why not purchase a 3gal carboy?

Did you make the recipe yourself? I'm definitely interested in hearing the results.

Sorry for the late reply! For some reason my notification was not set correctly. Actually, I do in fact have 3gal carboy. I was thinking I was going to using at as a secondary, so I used the 6gal as primary. Had I known I was going to keep it in primary I would have used my 3 gal the whole time. Next time! :cross:

I have only one other 2.5 Gallon batch under my belt. It was an extract Vanilla Coconut porter. Came out, well, so-so. As I progress to all-grain, (this was my first BIAB batch), I will do a few more 2.5 gallon batches... Wish I could buy half yeast packs!! :) That's the expensive part. I need to learn to harvest my yeast.. Maybe I'll do it with this batch.

Now I know airlock activity is not the definitive fermentation progress indicator, but mine seems to have stopped after about 5 days. So, you folks still think I should leave it in primary for another two weeks?

Now I know airlock activity is not the definitive fermentation progress indicator, but mine seems to have stopped after about 5 days. So, you folks still think I should leave it in primary for another two weeks?

Yes. To put it simply. And then take hydrometer readings a few days apart. Once they are the same your beer is done.

Nope.

I think you should leave it for another 3 weeks.:D

Really, the extra time won't hurt the beer a bit and if the ferment gets completed before then, the beer will begin to mature in the fermenter. :rockin:

Ok all. It sat in primary for 22 days. Bottled on Monday. I'll crack one open in a couple weeks and fill you in. Thanks for the comments!!!

OMG! Now that the holidays are over, I realized I never came back to the group and filled you in. What an A$$! Sorry. Anyway, I was very happy with this brew, but I think I would have benefited form a bit more body. I think low efficiency was to blame, but really dig the flavors. Here's a pic!

Gingerbread Winter Ale 2013.jpg

Back