GigaYeast Double Pitch (GY054)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just ordered GY054 yeast. Since it is described as a "double pitch" yeast containing >200 billion cells, should I make a starter for this? I have't used this yeast before, and have only made 2 starters in the past, but I'm looking to step up my game. Even if not necessary, will it improve the beer? I will be getting the yeast on Friday, and brewing on Sunday. Home brew academy web site says 18 - 36h should be enough time for a starter, but form other threads I've looked at seems like this may a bit short?
OG target for the beer I'm making is 1.068.

Any and all input appreciated!

Assuming a 5 gallon batch exactly, you'll need 235b cells (yeastcalculator.com). You're probably just fine pitching what you have. If your batch is bigger than that, make a small starter to wake the yeast up and pitch it straight without decanting. 36h is more than enough time for that.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch exactly, you'll need 235b cells (yeastcalculator.com). You're probably just fine pitching what you have. If your batch is bigger than that, make a small starter to wake the yeast up and pitch it straight without decanting. 36h is more than enough time for that.

Thanks for the reply! I actually looked at brewer's friend pitch rate calculator since I posted this, and it gave me a goal pitch rate of 3.18 mil. It is a 5g batch with a target OG of 1.069. Just out of curiosity, what is the discrepancy here?

I was going to make a 2L starter as it suggests on Friday evening when my yeast is delivered. So to do this (only made one starter before like 2 years ago) I boil 2L of water, add the ~230g of LME (for a 1.040 OG starter) cool to 75F, pitch yeast, shake it every time I walk by (or buy a stir plate today) then pitch entire starter Sunday late afternoon. One question I have is should I make a higher gravity starter, say about 1.060 to match the wort OG?

Just trying to dial stuff in....
Thanks!
:mug:

Thanks for the reply! I actually looked at brewer's friend pitch rate calculator since I posted this, and it gave me a goal pitch rate of 3.18 mil. It is a 5g batch with a target OG of 1.069. Just out of curiosity, what is the discrepancy here?
:mug:

Using brewer's friend, I entered OG 1.069, and used their suggested 0.75M Cells/mL, and got almost the same answer: 239B cells needed.

That's using 0.75M cells per mL, I might consider doing 1M per mL which you'd need more yeast. A 2L starter is probably overkill either way.

BF.png

YC.png

Using brewer's friend, I entered OG 1.069, and used their suggested 0.75M Cells/mL, and got almost the same answer: 239B cells needed.

That's using 0.75M cells per mL, I might consider doing 1M per mL which you'd need more yeast. A 2L starter is probably overkill either way.

I used the high gravity setting on the calculator (1M cells per mL) because it said beers over 1.060 should use that setting. Is that just being nitpicky, or could it really go either way?

At least that explains the discrepancy.
Thanks!

Back