GFCI outlet independent from wall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpiggy

Reaction score
As the title hopefully suggests I'm thinking of wiring up a GFCI outlet for my in the makes electric brewery. This outlet would need to be not part of the wall, but in its own water proof outlet sized box that has a short short cable section that connects to an in-wall socket. A longer line of cable would extend from the brewery to this "dry" area where this mobile GFCI outlet box resides.

For reference this is a 120V 20A socket. I have one 120V 20A GFCI socket nearby, but it is in use for a heatstick to supplement the other 18A element that will be controlled by the electric brewery setup I'm talking about.

The reason for this odd setup is that
  1. I can not rewire the apartment I live in to add a proper GFCI. Its a rental.
  2. Using a GFCI breakers inside the brewery control box is 4.5 times the cost. $106 breaker vs $24.78 outlet of both 120V 20A.
I've never understood why GFCI breakers are so much more money than GFCI outlets, and why the breakers look so much more beefy.

Does this sound crazy, stupid, or am I missing something here? Thanks

If you're only working with 120V, you can get a GFCI extension cord or wall adapter that plugs in right over the existing outlet. Both options would keep away from any water and are very inexpensive compared to building an independent waterproof beaker box.

You start getting expensive once you hit 220V options.

If you're only working with 120V, you can get a GFCI extension cord or wall adapter that plugs in right over the existing outlet. Both options would keep away from any water and are very inexpensive compared to building an independent waterproof beaker box.

You start getting expensive once you hit 220V options.

That would be a great option. I've seen very reasonable 15 amp GFCI cables, but the 20 amp cables I've been seeing so far are for up to 220 volts and are almost as expensive as a breaker. Do you know a good source for a 20 amp GFCI cable? It may be because I'm up in Canada and we always seem to have slightly less options here. I'll keep looking for something like that.

Quick search on Amazon turned up a 120V 20A plug adapter by Leviton. I was seeing GFCI cords, but most terminated in wire rather than a plug. I figure the adapter is the better option- smaller footprint and less expensive than the cord option even if you have to buy a separate extension cable.

Quick search on Amazon turned up a 120V 20A plug adapter by Leviton. I was seeing GFCI cords, but most terminated in wire rather than a plug. I figure the adapter is the better option- smaller footprint and less expensive than the cord option even if you have to buy a separate extension cable.

Thanks. I see that. Its probably the best option. Funny / annoying, the Canadian version of Amazon has that for almost exactly twice the price as the American version. Still at $42 its probably the cheapest option.

Back