GF Blonde Ale, Batch 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmitchell3

Reaction score
Hey all, just wrapped up a brewday yesterday of batch 2 of my gluten free blonde ale. Did it on a different system and tweaked the recipe a bit.

See my original post here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=582322

I submitted the "batch 1" finished beer to Dr. Homebrew on The Brewing Network (episode 78 I think) where they reviewed it in the low 30s under category 31A Alternative Grain Beer. The overarching impression as I remember it was that it was a bit thin (finished with us05 at 1.004!) and even at a calculated 19 IBU it came across as a bit too bitter for the style (no doubt due to lack of body). So....on to batch 2!

So the updated recipe is as follows:

Grain
7 lb Pale Millet Malt ( grouse)
1 lb buckwheat malt (grouse) *new from batch 1
1 lb munich millet malt (grouse) *new from batch 1
1 lb caramillet malt (grouse) *reduced from batch 1
2 lb flaked oats *reduced by 1 lb from batch 1
1 lb flaked corn *reduced by 2 lb from batch 1
8 oz james brown rice malt (eckert) *new from batch 1

Hops
1 oz falconers flight @ 15 mins

Yeast
US-05 1 pack rehydrated

60% efficiency target (hit it...or was at least in the ballpark)
5.75 gallon post boil target (hit it)
1.043 OG target (2 pts low)
1.038 preboil target (hit it)
22 IBU

60 min boil w 15 minute hop stand after flameout

mash 15 mins at 171F w/ White Labs WLN-4300 amylase
mash 120 minutes at 158F w/ 1 tsp BSG amylase and 1/2 tsp per gallon EC Krause diatase.

System was a braumeister 20L i borrowed from a buddy. worked pretty well as it does not utilize gravity but a pump to force wort up through the grain. My Blichmann BrewEasy system relies on gravity to pull liquid down through the grain instead. Both are basically modified RIMS systems though so I'm used to the full-liqour mashes for the most part.

Had 1.020 gravity after 10 mins at 158F, and ended up right at 1.038 after sparging and collecting about 6.75 gallons of wort, preboil.

Hit OG of 1.041 (2 pts low) on 5.75 gallons post boil, so I was pretty happy with that. might notice my preboil and postboil gravities and volumes don't seem to match...the braumeister really is lacking in the volume marking department.

Anywho, hoping the reduction in flaked corn and the addition of buckwheat aids in increasing body and head retention, and hope the addition of the munich millet malt aids in adding a bit more impression of maltiness.

I've attached some pics of the brewday to the post.

Happy brewing, and Happy New Year!

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Your grains look like they came right out of the bird feeder but the finished beer looks beautiful and very tasty.
My dad has celiac and requires a gf diet. He hasn't drank a beer in over 5 years . I'm thinking when we move down by them in a couple months that I'd like to brew a small 2 gallon batch of this for him, but lessen the hops . 4.6% is nothing to frown upon. nice job.

Your grains look like they came right out of the bird feeder but the finished beer looks beautiful and very tasty.
My dad has celiac and requires a gf diet. He hasn't drank a beer in over 5 years . I'm thinking when we move down by them in a couple months that I'd like to brew a small 2 gallon batch of this for him, but lessen the hops . 4.6% is nothing to frown upon. nice job.

Haha yeah. Millet looks like BBs. Thanks!

Going to try and brew a GF beer for my brother in law. However, my LHS does not carry Millet or Buckwheat. Do you order your grains on-line?

Looks like the Grouse Malt House has a great selection, but not sure if they ship to home brewers.

Going to take a stab at your recipe if I can find the ingredients.

Back