Getting ready for AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srm277

Reaction score
As i posted in another thread I am looking into getting a turkey fryer and moving to AG. Since I will be ordering the stuff from online it will take about a month to get here when i order it. First gotta order cards that save $5 for ever $25 spent, and free shipping will take alittle bit longer, but the wait on this stuff will be to much to pay shipping if I can get it free.

So my point is I have brewed 4 times, and will prob 1 more till my new toys come in. How do you do an AG?

I have read some things, but it seems like the best directions come from asking here instead of looking on random websites.

So I have a month to prepare, also my LHBS is Corrodos, if that helps. I need help from the groundwork up.
As I have said b4 thanks for all the help, and hopefully I will start asking less noob questions as I make more beer, but i feel like the more i make the more im interested in it and the more questions arise.

1) Amazon.com: How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time: John J. Palmer: Books

2) Amazon.com: Basic Brewing: Stepping into All Grain: James Spencer; Steve Wilkes, James Spencer: Movies & TV

Answering "How do you do an AG?" is too broad to really be answered here.

Super high level view:

You heat some water and mix it with the grain, which soaks for a while. After X amount of time, you drain the water out and mix it back onto the grain, then you drain the water out and into the kettle. Then you add more hot water to the grain and drain that into the kettle as well. This gives you your wort, which you had previously created by mixing extract and water.

Last edited by a moderator:
To piggy back on the OP's question, how much money is needed to go from extract to AG brewing? Generally speaking.

AG is simple if you can follow simple instructions.

If you have done extract brews and steeped your grains at a specific temp, AG isnt much harder. (Just a couple more steps)

Do a search on here for mash tun plans. They are pretty simple to make, and they will more than do the trick.
-Me

Back