Getting back in the game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbuddy

Reaction score
So I hadn’t brewed for a while and was planning on starting up again anyway when SWMBO puts me on the hook for 4 kegs at her family cookout this summer. I had two recipes that I had purchases a while ago crushed grains and all. I was going to toss them but then I figured what the hell might as well brew them. They might not come out great but at least they will be beer and it will help me dial in my process since it had been so long. The hops had been in the freezer the entire time and the yeast was refrigerated. The grain is another story one year sitting in the corner of the dining room and one year in my garage. The yeast had expired November 2010 and was the only thing I was really worried about. The grain tasted okay but I did not have anything to compare it to.

Well that was 2 weeks ago and I just sampled them this morning and they taste great.

Now it’s off to the brew shop to get the ingredients for the stuff I will be bringing to the party.

Oh and I also get to build a portable kegorator. I love this hobby.

2 year old crushed grains does not sound like it would be good, but no sense in throwing them away. I'd make sure to have some fresh batches as well in case the staleness overwhelms. I suggest to make a session beer out of it.

If its a lighter beer, please call it: Stale Pale Ale ;)

If it works, it works! Glad the obsession has pulled you back.

Thanks

They are actually two of my bigger beers
Robust Porter OG 1.075 FG 1.022
Imperial Irish Red OG 1.070 FG 1.020

Both made using S-04

Latest posts

Back