German IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok... so this may be blasphemy to both the devout Noble hop users and IPA brewers alike, but I enjoy the flavours of Noble hops and the hoppiness of IPAs. My question is this: Is there such a brew style that uses Noble hops and has an IBU above 50 with a gravity higher than 1.070? Altbier is getting close to what I am thinking but I would really like something stronger. Any suggestions? Maybe what I am thinking of has another name...?

How do you think new styles come about? People experiment. I'm not sure if what you want to make is already a style, someone else hopefully knows all the styles better than I and can help there. My suggestion is to make what you're thinking anyway and see what you get. Maybe take some recipe creator and ignore color, but try to reach the og and bitterness. The only other thing that may be a problem is the low AA of nobles. You'll have to use a **** ton of them. :)

The English make IPAs just fine using their noble hops. Hell, they made the first IPA. Try switching out some of the late hop additions for whatever you like from a British style IPA first (and maybe use an alt or kölsch style yeast), and see how that works. Fine tune from there.

Other thoughts would be using a German pils malt as your base, with maybe something like a pound or two of Vienna for some malt backbone, especially if you brew this at a higher gravity.

I don't see why you couldn't. Use something with a higher AA% like magnum, NB or perle for the bittering hop then late additions of nobles (you choose).

Here's the recipe I made this last December. It isn't quite ready yet (I bottle), but the sample I tasted was pretty good if still green. I like the Saphir - they add a little citrusy note.

I made this as a half batch, but here's the full batch:

5.5 gallon, 1.070 OG, 70 IBU

9# German Pilsner
3# Vienna
2# Munich
1 oz Northern Brewer @60
1 oz Northern Brewer @30
1 oz Saphir @15
1 oz Hallertauer @15
1 oz Saphir @5
1 oz Hallertauer @5
1 oz Saphir @0