German Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've recently gotten to the point that my latest Kolsch and Altbier are ready to drink. I noticed a common aroma for them that I can't describe. My last Altbier (which was a different recipe) had the same aroma. It seems that the common denominator is that these are the only three brews for which I have used German Ale yeast (one was Wyeast and the other two had K-97).

Do other people who use the German Ale yeast know the aroma I am detecting and can anyone help me describe the aroma? I'm not sure what I think of the aroma, but the biggest thing bothering me is that I can't place the aroma or explain it.

Is it a slightly fruity aroma? Per the Wyeast website, it says that this yeast could produce mild fruitiness if fermented at higher temperatures. Ferm temps are 55-68, did you ferment at the high end?

It does not seem fruity. I fermented mid 60s and the latest Alt got a week in mid 50s before cold conditioning. I don't think what I'm detecting is from high temp fermentation. Plus I got the same thing from K-97, which has a fermentation range of 59-75 degrees.

Back