George Washington Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I made the recipe and it turned very well. Here are some thoughts on changes I will make next time I brew.

I went back and looked at the recipe and I would't change the grainbill or the hops. It was a good beer from the start and got better with age. However, two things I would change or do differently is Mash at a higher temp to get a little more mouth feel. I would probably mash 154. My original mash temp was 152.

The other thing I would do is for the molasses addition I would pull a quart or two and add the molasses with the wort in a sauce pan and maybe boil it for a a few minutes to mix the molasses in and then add back to the boiling wort. I read somewhere that adding the molasses straight to the wort can cause it to drop to the bottom of the BK.

Also, I used WLP029 however, you could also use WLP001 or US05.

I'm trying WL029 for my light colord Hopped & Confused,& a black lager from a member here. I kept it in the 65-69F temp range recommended for initial fermentation. I'm interested to see how it works in both beers. The yeast is said to produce a clean,lager like flavor.

I'm trying WL029 for my light colord Hopped & Confused,& a black lager from a member here. I kept it in the 65-69F temp range recommended for initial fermentation. I'm interested to see how it works in both beers. The yeast is said to produce a clean,lager like flavor.

@unionrdr good call on the ferm temps. I've read to start should be low maybe around 62 and then let it slowly rise to that 65-69 range. To be completely honest, I have no idea what this fermented at.

Back