Generic hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero

Reaction score
So if I understand correctly, as a general rule, hops are used in two ways:
Bittering (boiled in the wort for a long time), and
Aroma (added to the wort near the end of the boil)

What is the idea behind dry hopping?

I have a recipe that calls for pellets for the majority of the boil, but then whole hops at flameout, and more for dry hopping. Reading the comments about the recipe, it seems like the idea is to arrive at 18 IBU.

First problem is that I have only been able to locate leaf hops, not whole. Will those suffice?

Secondly, if I can reach 18 IBU with the boil and flameout hops, what is the drawback to not dry hopping?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pellets, leaf or whole hops all work fine. People have preferences, but that's all they are. Use what you've got - you'll be fine!

Hops are used in 3 ways, Bittering/Flavor/Aroma. Dry hopping contributes to Aroma only, but that sometimes leads to the perception of flavor.

IBU's are International Bittering Units, they ONLY take in to account the bitterness given to the beer by hops, not the Aroma and Flavor.

Whole/Leaf hops have around 10% less utilization than Pellet hops, they will also absorb more of your wort then the pellets.

Whole or leaf are just fine, it's really just personal preference.

Leaf hops = whole hops.

And yes dry hops add a lot of aroma. No bitterness at all (IBUs)

I use only whole hops. I don't like how hard it is to contain pellet hops, and I just generally like stuff with less processing when possible. I grow a lot myself as well, so they are naturally whole hops :)

If you dry hop with pellets put them in a bag. I weigh my bag down with S.S. Washers all sanitized of course. An interesting thing about that BYO article; it say that dry opping can increase the perceived bitterness as well as flavor. It gave an example of a brewery that uses no bittering hops and just dry hops @ the rate of 4/oz per 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back