gelatin in stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
Hi, I recently brewed a stout with coffee, chocolate.. It has a very heavy coffee flavor which isn't bad, but I was wondering if adding gelatin to the keg if it might help draw down some of the intense favor. Could there be some things in the beer which the gelatin could leech to and mellow it out? what's the effect of gelatin in a stout?

just a thought... thank you.

The gelatin isn't going to change the dominant flavors.

On the plus side though, time certainly will. Just let it sit for a while and the flavors will start to round out and meld together.

i went ahead and added it anyway. Perhaps it will let some more color come through or maybe clean up some o'dat US04 a little quicker. we'll see, but I'll drink it either way!

i went ahead and added it anyway. Perhaps it will let some more color come through or maybe clean up some o'dat US04 a little quicker. we'll see, but I'll drink it either way!

Patience is a virtue. Let your beer have some time to mature and it will mellow out the harsh flavors or drink it too young and suffer the harshness. There really isn't any quick fix.

Back