Gelatin finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppinburgh

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using gelatin finings to clear my next batch. I read this can take up to two weeks. Is that right? If so, has anyone put them in their secondary?? Do they have to go in the keg while it's cold?

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My understanding is that gelatin works by grabbing ahold of the cold haze proteins that settle out when you cold crash. Plus they help settle yeast in suspension.
So, yes, cold crash 1st, then add gelatin. My procedure has been cold crashing at 30-45(depends on how cold my garage gets) for 2 days, then gelatin. I leave that for an additional 2 days then bottle. I have not read anywhere that it takes weeks for gelatin to precipitate.

It doesn't take 2 weeks. Just chill the beer, dissolve the jello in room temp water, raise temp to 150 or so, stir in. It should drop clear in a couple days.

No, No, No. Not beer temp :D Can't you just imagine?
Here's my procedure to prepare the gelatin that I 'borrowed' from someone else on this forum:
About 1/2 cup water in a microwave safe dish. Sprinkle 1 tsp gelatin on the surface of the water and leave alone for 1/2 hour to 'bloom'. Then microwave for 10 second bursts, checking between. When it's clear, it's done and ready to be added. Usually takes just 2-3 bursts.

"Raise what temp to 150??? Not the beer temp right?"

Sorry, no, just the gelatin and water mix. The beer stays chilled the whole time.

Latest posts

Back