Gelatin and bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trackdog

Reaction score
I've brewed a few beers now, and would like to turn out a clearer product. I'm currently only bottle conditioning my beers and was wondering if using gelatin as a fining agent would affect the carbonation. I'm concerned that if it's taking things out of suspension in my secondary, it'll take too much of my bubble-making yeasties with it. Does anyone have experience with this?

I would just carb the beer then cold condition until the beer is clear.

When I was still bottling, I would cold-crash with gelatin. Never had an issue with carbonation.

Gelatin does a lot more with cold-crashing. Chill the beer below 40 degrees F, the closer to freezing you can get, the better before adding the gelatin.

What I liked about it when bottling is there is no junk in the bottles except for a thin dusting of yeast on the bottom, and that's usually packed down so hard you can pour the whole beer if you're careful about it.

Thanks for the help, folks. Looks like it shouldn't be a problem other than maybe a little longer conditioning time. Good thing I still have some of my stout left!

On another note, I had forgotten to change to desktop version before posting. I was confused where the search field went, not so bright.

Latest posts

Back