Gas/ Electric RIMS Brewery Planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmd4

Reaction score
Alright, I've been kicking this around for a while, but I'm finally moved and settled enough to start working on this. Would love the input from all of you who have built your systems out and what you liked/hated about it.

Basics:
Looking to purchase equipment that can be added to a single tier stand once I get there. I like simple and basic aside from I will have two pumps because I don't need them, but totally need them. Currently use a round cooler mash tun and will be building the largest RIMS I can run on 120V. I do 5 gallon batches and don't see that changing anytime soon. I do like to do the occasional big beer that goes beyond my current mash tun, but thats once or twice a year. Also, I LOVE adjuncts (rye specifically) which is part of the reason for the RIMS, so I can do step mashes.

Kettles:
Going to swap out my current 10 gallon Aluminum kettles for SS Concord Kettles. I'm thinking 60 qt will be fine. If I get a mash tun, that brings up the following questions:
1) 60qt or 80qt?
2) Best place to source false bottom?
3) How well will the thin walls hold heat with (probably) a 1650W RIMS tube?
4) Not a question, but I need to do the math on grain bed depth still.

Burners:
I'm looking to adequately size burners, that come on a stand (for now). I don't feel the need to have 220k BTU burners because MORE POWER. I'd like to get as much use as I can from a 20lb propane tank. My math says 56K BTU is plenty as my typical pre-boil volume is ~8 gallons. I would also prefer not to have burners that sound like the space shuttle at take off, but not sure how possible that is from a high pressure propane tank. So what are your opinions on burners with these qualifications and being used with thin wall HLT & BK?

RIMS Tube:
Pricing out tubes made from tri-clover fittings and also from a stainless nipple and tees. The homemade one is coming in almost $100 cheaper than the fancy one from Brewers Hardware. Is the convenience of being able to simply take it apart after every brew worth the extra money? What sort of cleaning routine do you all have for RIMS?

RIMS Control:
Again, looking for fairly basic here. 1 PID controlling the element and that's pretty much it. So what kind of switches and accessories would you recommend? What on that list is necessary and what's just darn helpful?

Thanks everyone! There are a TON of options out there, so I figured the best way to get moving on this was to crowd source from those who had already build and lived with various systems.

Back