What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J J Blonde.
9487F50A-D0C3-4485-8B5C-1070FB101109.jpeg

It's been a while since I've felt a bit zany, but I've been feeling a bit zany all week so I decided to do what I do when I feel a bit zany and broke out the filthy plastic peanut jar and I filled it with the first Helles I've made that I'm actually sorta okay with. Honestly, it’s more of a pils than a helles, which explains why I'm not staring daggers at it. Used Bestmaltz' Heidelberg malt for the first time in this recipe. It's a very nice malt, far more flavorful than I was expecting. I'll be using it again.

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpeg
    IMG_4171.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Carb check on my most recent batch of Panther Piss, kegged yesterday. I'll call that a pass.

This marks the final batch from my January pitch of S-189 and it went out strong, providing the merest hint of sulfur. Golly, I love it when a lager does that. That sulfur will be gone by June, I'm sure, so I intend to enjoy it early.

As always, S-189 never disappoints. It's a really undervalued, easy to work with strain that makes amazing lager.
IMG_4176[1].JPG

Last edited:
Carb check on my most recent batch of Panther Piss, kegged yesterday. I'll call that a pass.

This marks the final batch from my January pitch of S-189 and it went out strong, providing the merest hint of sulfur. Golly, I love it when a lager does that. That sulfur will be gone by June, I'm sure, so I intend to enjoy it early.

As always, S-189 never disappoints. It's a really undervalued, easy to work with, strain that makes amazing lager.View attachment 849328

Agree. S-189 is a joy to ferment with. I've made a couple Doppelbocks with it. A bit spendy, especially when I need to pitch 3 packs in a batch of high-gravity wort, but worth every dime.

BTW, very eclectic collection of tunes there.

Agree. S-189 is a joy to ferment with. I've made a couple Doppelbocks with it. A bit spendy, especially when I need to pitch 3 packs in a batch of high-gravity wort, but worth every dime.

BTW, very eclectic collection of tunes there.
Are you buying from Ritebrew? No clue why their dry yeast is so much cheaper than everyone else, but it's well within the sell by date, arrives promptly, and does what it should.

Still, 10gals is a mighty big investment. Maybe bricks are the way to go for you? As a 6-gal brewer, I've been vacillating about taking the plunge. I'd be perfectly happy brewing with 34/70 and S-189 for the next 8-10 years. But as a homebrewer, the idea of being locked into something...Uhg!!! That idea of giving up freedom, doesn't sit well with me.

Nevertheless, I should be buying bricks because I'll likely keep using 34/70 and S-189 until I can't brew anymore.

Yes, I'm an idiot. As proof, I brew my own beer.

Back