Garden Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorpoet

Reaction score
I am using a basic garden hose for delivery of my water to my pots. I do have it hooked up to a filter for chlorine elimination. Is there going to be any adverse effect, or for that matter any effect from using one of these hoses or do I really need something that is food-grade. I was questioned on this and don't have any idea. Can anyone help?

beware of getting that rubber garden hose flavor, it will shine through in the finished beer, I would suggest using only food grade lines for water delivery, its not a good feeling to have 5 gallons of hose flavored brew to choke down or dump

Garden hoses are not meant for potable water.

However, I didn't know that as a kid and grew up fine. The pollups eventually subsided and I could once again do the flying tumble jacks.

Lots will chime in about lead, rubber phenols, etc... and those are valid concerns but, perhaps, just a smite bit over emphasized.

At any rate, never hurts to get a food grade RV hose from the hitches and tail lights section at your local box mart.

A buddy of mine is on city water, just like me and uses a normal garden hose and no filter. I use a white RV water hose and carbon filter, and run it super slow to get all the chlorine and chloramine out. Both of us make damn good beer, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I personally don't like the idea of chlorine, especially not in my beer...but that's more preference than anything else.

I have the white RV hose with an RV filter too. My concern wasn't chemicals, it was the garden hose "taste." Do you need to worry about that? I suppose it depends on how tuned your palette is.

I'd use food grade.

I work for an environmental company and it is typically standard industry practice to sample from nearest the water source when taking samples...sampling from a hose outside of a residence is last and worst case because a hose on the lawn (believe it or not) will absorb chemicals and other nasties! :(

Of course if you are using a new hose that is flushed and you don't discern an off odor or taste difference, go for it. :mug:

Yeah, um....that "garden hose flavor"???

That's called Lead.

Not good for the body, deadly to brain cells.

I posted a thread about that years ago (it's a long story, I moved and got a new computer and e-mail address, could not acces the work e-mail that was on file here.....) and people went nuts.

One guy insisted he was an MIT brainiac, so lead couldn't have been better for him.....(you'd think he would have been smarter than that, guess it was all that lead lined stout;))

Yeah, um....that "garden hose flavor"???

That's called Lead.

Not good for the body, deadly to brain cells.

I posted a thread about that years ago (it's a long story, I moved and got a new computer and e-mail address, could not acces the work e-mail that was on file here.....) and people went nuts.

One guy insisted he was an MIT brainiac, so lead couldn't have been better for him.....(you'd think he would have been smarter than that, guess it was all that lead lined stout;))

Interesting anecdote. What about if you flush a hose for a minute or so, then take a sample? Is there still a bunch of lead? How much lead exactly is in there, and is it a dangerous level?

The fact that they stopped making gas and paint with lead in it but still make garden hoses with lead in them seems a bit far fetched to me. It just doesn't ring true.

I'd still get an rv hose only because I hate the smell of garden hoses.

Hey guys... I think it is fine if you flush the water out of the hose first. Isn't lead used extensively in PVC? What about all those folks using PVC tubing?

I just picked up some clear 5/8" clear tubing and made my own hose to attatch to the kitchen sink. I hope this is OK now...............got me wondering????

Resurrection of thread....

I'd still recommend you flush the hose with a few gallons of water before you start using it. Grab a sample directly out of the faucet, then one from the hose. Compare the flavor. If they are the same, go ahead and use it. If you have a portable carbon filter housing, putting it AFTER the hose would be a good idea.

Where do you get an RV hose? Or is the answer "an RV supply store"? I don't think I've seen one in Lowes or Home Depot.

Lowes definitely carries them. Look for a white hose. It might be called a marine hose.

Aha. That rings a bell. I think I've seen them on spools so you can ask for your own length to be cut. I will check that out. I'm going to do my first outside batch with AG so this might be useful. Thanks.

Aha. That rings a bell. I think I've seen them on spools so you can ask for your own length to be cut. I will check that out. I'm going to do my first outside batch with AG so this might be useful. Thanks.
Make sure you are in the garden hose area in the lawn section. I think you are looking at the baffle hoses in the plumbing section.

Resurrection of thread....

I'd still recommend you flush the hose with a few gallons of water before you start using it. Grab a sample directly out of the faucet, then one from the hose. Compare the flavor. If they are the same, go ahead and use it. If you have a portable carbon filter housing, putting it AFTER the hose would be a good idea.

+1

I could smell and taste the RV hose that I bought. I ended up making my own "hose" from a PEX water line and added a carbon filter. I still taste the water before every brew.

My understanding is that modern garden hoses do contain and impart lots of lead.

Whether it "rings" true or not, research it yourself.

My understanding is that modern garden hoses do contain and impart lots of lead.

Whether it "rings" true or not, research it yourself.

With just about everything coming from China these days -and their their GREAT track record - I wouldn't assume that even those hoses marked as "drinking water safe" by our OWN FDA contain just about anything. Stuff that will cause all sorts of undiscovered syndromes.

The fact that they stopped making gas and paint with lead in it but still make garden hoses with lead in them seems a bit far fetched to me. It just doesn't ring true.

I'd still get an rv hose only because I hate the smell of garden hoses.

Lead is used in hoses to keep them pliable. Also it is recommended that you either wear gloves or wash your hands after handling a garden hose not because of the lead but that hose can and does pick up other chemicals as you use it. just think how many times its been dragged out over your lawn where your dog/cat and wild animals poop, pesticides and fertilizers are used. Stopped in gas because it was being put into the air and then rain would bring back to the ground. Paint well its kinda a no brainer kids chew and eat everything.

Lowes carries the white marine hose as well as the Swan blue potable water hoses. The Swan is very cheap not in price but quality compared to the White ones

Back