Garage Sink for Brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks! Not savvy on certain plumbing aspects but wanted to ask if I can add a garage sink to the current setup that I have. I have an existing drain (pictured) and was looking to tee off the water supply loop from the water softener that is to the left of the brew stand. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

• brewstand.jpg
    brewstand.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 274
I can't offer any plumbing advice, but I installed that same sink this spring and I love it. Can't image not having a sink in my garage again.

I found that I needed to reinforce the area where the fixture mounts to improve stiffness. Just a piece of wood under the sink flange.

Some of this is personal preference, and some the voice of experience.

I've used the deep utility sinks; don't care for the bending over, the dropping of parts in the sink and having to fish them out, and so on.

If it were me, and I had a space like you do, I'd probably put in a sink base cabinet sized to the width of the space. I'd put a shallow-bowl sink in the top, and which side depends on whether you're right- or left-handed. There are other variations on this theme, can't recall the recent thread where sinks were the topic. Someone came up with a great one that's like a table with a shallow sink bowl in it. If I find it, I'll post the thread link here.

Here's what part of the issue is, IMO: having a sink would be such a huge leap forward that any sink would do. A utility sink seems like a great option, and if it's either no sink or a utility sink, well, utility sink wins hands down.

But--you have a blank slate. My suggestion is to look at all the various sink options and ask yourself what you'll wish you'd done in six months or a year. What can you put in that not only will solve the "I need a sink" problem, but also will make your life really easy.

Part of that equation is whether you'll just have a faucet or will add a sprayer (item: You'll wish you had a sprayer). Then it's what type. And so on.

My son has a grainfather in an apartment; he cleans his stuff in the tub! A utility sink would be such a huge improvement over a tub that it's just, well, huge. But if he had the opportunity to define what kind of sink....well, I'm just suggesting you do that. YMMV, naturally.

Here are a couple pics of my setup; not exactly the same as yours, and mine sort of goes around the corner because, well, that's what I have. It's an old metal sink like they used to use in the 40s and 50s; salvaged it on junk day years ago.

I built a 4" high pedestal on which to place it, and the end result is the top is 40" off the floor which, BTW, makes it so easy to work at. It has a sideboard/drainboard to the left, and I added a platform that's supported by the drawer in the sink cabinet, and the bench to the left of that.

It not only is a dream at which I can do any sink-related jobs (clean paintbrushes, wash out this or that), but I can lay a kettle on its side and easily spray it out. I can use the sink sprayer to blast through my ball valves to help clean them. I can put a small plastic tub in the sink (saves water) and fill it with PBW and parts to clean them. It's just....wonderful.

There are many ways you can do this, but if I were doing it from scratch, I'd do a cabinet (storage!), and a shallow stainless steel sink bowl. And the top of that sink would be 40" off the floor.

And I know that not everybody is made of money, and different life needs may take preference over the installation of the Cadillac of Sinks. :) But maybe some of this will give you some ideas.

sink1.jpg

sink2.jpg

kegsink.jpg

Last edited:
While I'd love to have one of the integrated SS sink/sideboard units I couldn't wait for Santa to drop one on me so I have the junior version of that plastic "bigtub" sink linked above. Came complete with everything needed to hook up, that's a pull-out sprayer, cost all of $65 at Home Depot when I bought a few years ago. Up side of uber-cheap: if I bump a carboy against the rim it's a totally benign event. If I did that in our kitchen sink I'd likely scrap the carboy (granite is no friend of glass).

brew_sink.jpg

I slapped a side-board together using 100% cut-offs from numerous projects plus a couple of base cabinet end panels that weren't used on The Spousal Unit's new kitchen. The sideboard can be tilted 5° so water just rolls into the sink (100% acrylic paint is pretty tough stuff wrt water). I stuck the faucet that came with my RO system on it as well as the system itself is just on the other side of that wall.

I just need to come up with a backsplash one of these days...

Cheers!

While I'd love to have one of the integrated SS sink/sideboard units I couldn't wait for Santa to drop one on me so I have the junior version of that plastic "bigtub" sink linked above. Came complete with everything needed to hook up, that's a pull-out sprayer, cost all of $65 at Home Depot when I bought a few years ago. Up side of uber-cheap: if I bump a carboy against the rim it's a totally benign event. If I did that in our kitchen sink I'd likely scrap the carboy (granite is no friend of glass).

View attachment 649933

I slapped a side-board together using 100% cut-offs from numerous projects plus a couple of base cabinet end panels that weren't used on The Spousal Unit's new kitchen. The sideboard can be tilted 5° so water just rolls into the sink (100% acrylic paint is pretty tough stuff wrt water). I stuck the faucet that came with my RO system on it as well as the system itself is just on the other side of that wall.

I just need to come up with a backsplash one of these days...

Cheers!

That's a nice compromise arrangement, inexpensive yet functional.

Is that curved faucet on the back right corner of the sink an RO faucet or something else? What do you do with it? Looks interesting....

I unscrew the aerator on my faucet and connect a 6-foot sanitary hose for rinsing the conical, filling for cleaning, things like that. Wish I had a separate hose bib to which i could connect that and just leave it connected all the time. I've had the plumber over twice for upgrades; I think SWMBO would take a dim view of a 3rd such visit.....

conicalhose.jpg

Yeah, as mentioned that's the RO faucet that came with the RO system behind the same wall. As one leg of the RO system feeds our kitchen fridge I mostly use it for rinsing my pH meters and not a heck of a lot more. For filling kettles I run a separate line to them.

For cleaning kettles and buckets etc I unscrew the faucet arm and screw in a 1/2" nylon MPT to 3/8" tubing. For brew day cooling water and post-brew rinsing out pump heads and lines and such I have a hose bib below the RO system with a 12' hose...

Cheers!

You have the hookups (minus hot water), I would have installed a 3 basin SS resturant sink. I did this with one from a auction store.

R to L, I keep PBW, Star San and then the dirty side next to a table. It is by FAR the most used 'brewery' equipment I use. As I'm disassembling items they just get dumped in the clean side to soak. I have an RO unit nearby as well, so the StarSan is always kept with RO water, and then I test it with a pH meter prior to use. I pretty much keep solution all the time so it's never an issue to just go out and do whatever without having to mix up and bucket of X.

Since you don't have hot water, I'd suggest using a heat stik to keep that solution warm. I don't have one but I really need to buy one to reheat my water later. Having a sink is a must, have 2+ basins to work with just makes life a bit easier. I also have a SS shelf above to store PBW/Starsan, stirplates, flasks and my bottle holders (the white flat ones).

My 2cents.

My plan for hot is to tee off the hot water heater, which is inconveniently located on the other side of the garage, and run an insulated pipe to the sink. Will also add an RO at some point, or more likely tee off my current RO and add an additional holding tank near the brewstand.

I thought about the three compartment sink but with getting bigger pots over time I wanted the ability to place them in the sink without angling them. Also, it will double as a bathtub for two smelly corgis that are a real PITA to clean in the house. Sort of a dual use to make SWMBO happy.

My pots are way too big to sit in the sink. But my brewstand is always setup, I clean in place the MT and just tilt it to drain into a bucket. The BK comes over to the sink, lays on it's side like above and I just blast it clean. The best part is you can always expand later.

I haven't glued this in but can someone tell me if this will work and not completely fubar? I'm stuck with the 90 coming out of the wall where it is. Thanks!
20191105_141446.jpeg

13 pieces to get from there to there is impressive - and with a flexible riser to boot! :D
Not sure why the "S" turns were needed at all.

Anyway, ^they^ are right. It'll work, but there are WAY too many bits that are likely to build up entrapments.
Is it worth simplifying down to a "normal" configuration?

Cheers!

My problem is the 90 coming out of the wall and going straight down is glued in. Also the distance from the wall to the drain on the sink. Not sure what a better idea would be.

Ok, that explains the "S turn".
If it holds water at this point it's probably not worth simplifying - even the riser from the current 6 parts down to 3.
I'd say vaya con Dios and not worry about it...

Cheers!

Ok, that explains the "S turn".
If it holds water at this point it's probably not worth simplifying - even the riser from the current 6 parts down to 3.
I'd say vaya con Dios and not worry about it...

Cheers!
Vaya con Dios is my mantra with all home projects lol! Either way, it's not that pretty but it's installed and works. Thanks!

I would put a 90 on the existing 90, then come straight over to the sink drain, and 90 up to that. Like an elongated trap.

I have a plastic utility sink in my garage. I understand the concerns about bending over, but I like the extra depth. I have a pvc thingamajig and sump pump for washing bottles. It all fits in the sink and washes about 16 bottles at once. I don't know if a regular kitchen sink would work for that. I would like to have a sprayer of some sort, for now I have a hose I screw on the faucet.

IMHO, if you are going to plumb hot water from an inconvenient location I would use pex and not worry about hidden joints leaking.

Coming out from the wall, you have your glued in elbow facing down. Then you turned 90 horizontal, then another 90 down again. I would try to eliminate that and go toward the drain with a straight piece the to a trap and up to the drain..

It seems like you should be able to eliminate a lot of that extra down in the plumbing.

I had to get creative like that with a bathroom sink that i bought from Ikea for my first floor master bath. Is it pretty? No. But its worked the last 3 years! Nothing a little draino and a plunger cant fix as needed :)

Back