garage brew space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1bbl, semi-pro

Attachments

• PXL_20220509_172915360.jpg
    PXL_20220509_172915360.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
I like the metal corrugated metal wall panels.

Clean up must be a ***** without manways.

For your fermenters, do you use "industrial" chemicals to CIP the inside since they are too large to hand wash?
All of the tanks have top manways.

Yes, all tanks get a standard cip program. Rinse, caustic, rinse, sanitize.

All of the tanks have top manways.

Yes, all tanks get a standard cip program. Rinse, caustic, rinse, sanitize.
Doesn't manyways imply that you can actually fit through them?

It looks like they are sized to be able to spray a hose around the inside but not actually go inside.

I am asking since I have 300 liter unjacketed vessels that I plan on brewing beer with but the "manway" is too small to fit inside.

IMG_0094.JPG

Doesn't manyways imply that you can actually fit through them?

It looks like they are sized to be able to spray a hose around the inside but not actually go inside.

I am asking since I have 300 liter unjacketed vessels that I plan on brewing beer with but the "manway" is too small to fit inside.

View attachment 769290
I suppose I could fit inside, but it's only a 1bbl tank. Regardless, if you have to physically get inside to clean it, your CIP process isn't working. You should never have to get inside a tank to clean it.

I suppose I could fit inside, but it's only a 1bbl tank. Regardless, if you have to physically get inside to clean it, your CIP process isn't working. You should never have to get inside a tank to clean it.
Agree, however I don't believe that the "normal" chemicals (PBW) available to homebrewers are agressive enough to do a CIP in a large vessel.

Are the more caustic chemicals abtainable to homebrewers?

Agree, however I don't believe that the "normal" chemicals (PBW) available to homebrewers are agressive enough to do a CIP in a large vessel.

Are the more caustic chemicals abtainable to homebrewers?
I'm sure you could buy some sodium hydroxide online..

Brew stand was during times of low budget but works and haven't changed it since 8 yrs going. Ferm chamber add couple years ago doubles as winter fridge as I have a heater in there to keep 35degrees.

Attachments

• KIMG0361.JPG
    KIMG0361.JPG
    694.6 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0365.JPG
    KIMG0365.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0373.JPG
    KIMG0373.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0371.JPG
    KIMG0371.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Brew stand was during times of low budget but works and haven't changed it since 8 yrs going. Ferm chamber add couple years ago doubles as winter fridge as I have a heater in there to keep 35degrees.
That's an awesome brew stand! very ingeniously designed space saver when you are not using it.

The rolling cart was a CraigsList find. I cut the legs down, though. It was a taller food prep cart, me thinks. And having a sink in my brew space is huge, vs washing stuff in the house. Keeps SWMBO happy, or at least less-pissed :)

Attachments

• 58EBFC34-65CC-4339-80B2-A557FB09ECE3.jpeg
    58EBFC34-65CC-4339-80B2-A557FB09ECE3.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
The rolling cart was a CraigsList find. I cut the legs down, though. It was a taller food prep cart, me thinks. And having a sink in my brew space is huge, vs washing stuff in the house. Keeps SWMBO happy, or at least less-pissed :)
A sink would be nice to have. I'm still using the garden hose sprayer on the driveway. However, now that I am building out an electric HERMS brew house.. I have to rethink my cleaning procedures. I guess I will just have to run a drain hose out to the driveway.

having experience on 2 to 30bbl systems i will say that CIP is definitely not a must at smaller sizes. especially if you're brewing electric. takes just as much effort as manual. 2bbl vessels were easy to just clean with a long handled scrub brush and pbw type cleaners. (or even bar keepers friend types) 1bbl would be even easier. and sanitizing brewhouse vessels is pointless. (other than the hx) the whole things is performative mostly, as everything homebrew keeps copying commercial setups.
sealed vessels like a conical? obviously, now cip makes more sense due to limited access/manueverability.

if you decide to go down this road, be careful of your cleanup/waste situation. strong chems are no joke, and they will seriously mess up your skin/eyes and your septic. needs to go into public waste system, or a vessel to be neutralized before it goes into your septic. theres a reason the feds ask about your waste water plans on your brewers notice application....

Yep and I like to put everything on wheels. So much easier.
My brew stand is on wheels as well. The previous owner did an amazing job building it. The only issue I've had is the first time I used my Blichmann hellfire burners, it roasted the top of the cart and my garage stunk to high heaven for a little bit.

I'm hoping to finish my control panel next week and then run the conduit. I'll post some pics of the progress as well as the schematic and parts list for the panel.

My brew stand is on wheels as well. The previous owner did an amazing job building it. The only issue I've had is the first time I used my Blichmann hellfire burners, it roasted the top of the cart and my garage stunk to high heaven for a little bit.

I'm hoping to finish my control panel next week and then run the conduit. I'll post some pics of the progress as well as the schematic and parts list for the panel.
Yeah at first I worried the blichman would burn wood but after first run and hand test underneath it not even close to enough heat.

Some more progress... All of the front panel items are installed and I'm working on the DIN rail component layout.

I'm not a fan of the Chinese 22mm components.. so I went with a bit higher quality items.. ie.. Allen Bradley, EATON, GE, Phoenix Contacts, Precision Digital devices. Also, for my RTDs, I had a vendor donate some industrial components.. (I owe him some home brew😉, no microfone connectors here..)

Attachments

• IMG_20220520_210855.jpg
    IMG_20220520_210855.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220520_232452.jpg
    20220520_232452.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm finally moving to eBIAB, and I'm doing it in my garage. Hopefully my sink will get plumbed this weekend. Electrician is coming next week to pull a 60A panel, put in my 240V outlet and some quads.

Attachments

• 20220523_205349.jpg
    20220523_205349.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I’m prepping a corner space in my garage now. Installed a 240V outlet, plywooded the walls, and installed vinyl sheet flooring on them. The rest of my garage is unfinished. How concerned should I be about contamination while cooling the wort? I watched a video with John Palmer who talked about clean brewing spaces. Now I’m paranoid. Lol

I brew in the garage, door open to allow for escaping steam. I share the space with a 1953 MG TD restoration, a lot of crap being stored, pantry, and the washer/dryer. I sanitize my workspace, but don't worry about controlling the rest of the garage. I have only had two infected batches, and those came from improper cleaning of my equipment; once I changed out the silicone fittings in the fermenter, infection gone.

Control what you can-clean your equipment/space and use StarSan like it only costs pennies to make a spray bottle of it.

I brew in the garage, door open to allow for escaping steam. I share the space with a 1953 MG TD restoration, a lot of crap being stored, pantry, and the washer/dryer. I sanitize my workspace, but don't worry about controlling the rest of the garage. I have only had two infected batches, and those came from improper cleaning of my equipment; once I changed out the silicone fittings in the fermenter, infection gone.

Control what you can-clean your equipment/space and use StarSan like it only costs pennies to make a spray bottle of it.
Sanitize your trip clamp fittings everytime

Those are pricier than my budget, but yeah, I clean and sanitize everything, including surfaces that I might put something down on.
What the hell is a budget? LOL

This is the wrong hobby to be concerned about a budget. The rabbit hole of new Brew goodies just keeps going and going...

Last edited:
I DIY what I can, buy used what I can, dream of what I can't. It's all good.
I DIY a lot of my stuff as well. I recently built my control panel and did all the conduit/wire pull all my self.

As far as my brew equipment, 99% is all second hand. One thing I love about this hobby is there are always people selling equipment as they upgrade or are getting out of the hobby. I have sold things to help beginning brewers as I have upgraded too. One of these days, I will snap a picture of the new Brew space to post on this thread.

Latest posts

Back