FWH and late hop addition in the same recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhop

Reaction score
Some experience use FWH and late hop addition in the same recipe? This the schedule that i have in mind for an APA:

Volume 5 gal
-FWH 1oz citra
-20 min 0.5 oz. Galaxy
-10 min 0.5 oz Galaxy
-1 min 0.5 oz Galaxy

Any critique, advice or comment are welcome.

I love Citra, I have used 3 pounds of it since I discovered it, but I have never bittered with Citra. This is only because a few people said they didn't like it.

That being said I am interested in the results, but it may be a waste not putting the citra in toward the end of the boil.

20 minutes to me is almost still middle addition territory... I like my late hops 0-15 max. But I use a plate chiller so I get a few minutes of hop stand before the hot wort gets to the chiller. The same can be true with immersion chillers and higher ground water temps... the late hops can stay hot for longer that you may want.

Thanks for you advice i move the first Galaxy addition to 15 min and use citra in FWH and will see what obtain of this hehe :cross:

I'm kinda with m1k3, here... Citra's got the AA percentage to bitter effectively, but, you're boiling off a lot of tasty aromatics, there. Unless you're shooting for a really low OG, you're also a little on the low side with just an ounce and a half of flavor and aroma hops. If it were my pale, I'd pick up another ounce of some neutral bittering hop like Columbus or Magnum, first-wort with that, and throw that citra in with the galaxy in the last 15-20.

Thanks m1k3 and feinbera for your tips, i take your suggestion guys and modified the recipe what do you think?

Volume 5 gal
OG= 1.053
-FWH 1oz centennial
-15 min 1oz. Galaxy
-10 min 1oz Galaxy
-1 min 1oz Citra

According with beersmith the IBU is around 80
with the previous recipe beersmith said IBU around 40
What do you think?

Thanks m1k3 and feinbera for your tips, i take your suggestion guys and modified the recipe what do you think?

Volume 5 gal
OG= 1.053
-FWH 1oz centennial
-15 min 1oz. Galaxy
-10 min 1oz Galaxy
-1 min 1oz Citra

According with beersmith the IBU is around 80
with the previous recipe beersmith said IBU around 40
What do you think?

While I LOVE hops, that is a bit overhopped for an American pale ale. It's more of an IPA type of hopping.

It really depends on what you're making of course, but I'd probably go with .5 ounce FWH, and even consider going with smaller additions (.5 ounce) at 15 and 10 minutes if you want an APA.

yes i agree with you i go with less hop to point to an APA.

You know i´m big fan of hops too but in México is not much popular the hoppy beers so i like to made a hoppy beer but with not much IBU to introduce my friends and family in the hoppy beers

I would toss in all the Citra/Galaxy at flameout and let it steep for 20-30 min before chilling. You'll get an amazing blast of hop aroma and flavor with a tiny bit of bittering. Not having the boil saves all the aromatics. It works like a charm, I've moved most of my dry hop amounts to flameout-steep additions because it seems to work better. Plus, then you'll squarely be in APA territory as opposed to IPA

Back