Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WesleyS said:
Yes, but he was meaning it like he could taste actual milk in it. I've never had a milk stout that tasted like there was actual milk in it.

Sorry, I was a little drunk last night when I posted that snarky comment.

emjay said:
A brewpub here has a beer called Rosée d'Hibiscus. The first word denotes the pink color given to the beer by the hibiscus, but I've heard people mention how they can taste the roses more than a couple times.

I wonder if they used Galena hops, some people think they taste like rose water

A brewpub here has a beer called Rosée d'Hibiscus. The first word denotes the pink color given to the beer by the hibiscus, but I've heard people mention how they can taste the roses more than a couple times.

A bit :off: but I really enjoy that beer. Are you able to get it on tap? I was only able to drink it in the bottle.

Earlier today I heard an ad on the radio from the government controlled liquor store about a Belgian Wit, and how that, "doesn't refer to their sense of humor, but rather translates to 'Belgian Wheat'". :smack:

It's a small mistake, and an easy one to make, but when you run an ad for a very large market, especially with the huge budgets these guys have (and they're supposedly the largest single purchaser of booze in the world), you'd think they'd do even just a little bit of fact checking.

(For those understandably under the same impression, it actually translates to Belgian "White".)

I wonder if they used Galena hops, some people think they taste like rose water
The hops used are very minimal and there's no noticeable hop profile (and I know what Galena tastes like). They don't mention what hops they use, but I'm pretty sure it's just a very small and neutral bittering charge, easily under 20IBU.

And aside from all that, it tastes very tropical fruity (passionfruit, guava) and not at all like roses. The name simply comes from a similar naming convention for pink (rosé) wines.

A bit :off: but I really enjoy that beer. Are you able to get it on tap? I was only able to drink it in the bottle.

Probably only at the brewpub in Montreal, and possibly other local beer bars.

Earlier today I heard an ad on the radio from the government controlled liquor store about a Belgian Wit, and how that, "doesn't refer to their sense of humor, but rather translates to 'Belgian Wheat'". :smack:

Could have been a joke, or a marketing ploy. You know how some ads are annoying so people will remember them.

I was at a craft brewing tent and saw that the brewery had a wheat IPA on draft. The guy in front of me asked to try the "wheat ippa" (pronouncing IPA phonetically). As the bartender was giving him the sample, he said, "It's the wheat IPA, man." The guy took one sip and started grimacing. The bartender asked him, "Too hoppy?" And the guy emphatically replied, "Yeah, it's WAY too hoppy."

A former English professor on SN Torpedo:

"That beer tastes like drinking the water out of the Christmas tree stand bowl"

I get similar comments from my buddies when i have them try anything I'm drinking. "Tastes like pine needles."

Yeah,I wouldn't drink an extra dry martini without using a proper British gin. Gotta have that weedy sorta juniper flavor. And a coupla olives.:rockin:

Hendricks? Where's that gin from? Not familiar with that one. Keep the conversations goin,I'm trying to quit smoking & drinking is a favorite time to smoke. My son says E-cigs...but still spends $$ smoking. What say you?? I need to do better by my house,wife & children. Older children...but children never the less. Life sure ain't easy when man stuff gets too expensive...

Hendricks? Where's that gin from? Not familiar with that one. Keep the conversations goin,I'm trying to quit smoking & drinking is a favorite time to smoke. My son says E-cigs...but still spends $$ smoking. What say you?? I need to do better by my house,wife & children. Older children...but children never the less. Life sure ain't easy when man stuff gets too expensive...

Hendricks is Scottish isn't it?

Yes its Scottish. Good none the less. And e cigs are interesting. Too be honest I wasnt smoking when I bought one, then started smoking again after. I like smoke. Cigars, pipes, ryo cigarettes. But I can drop em pretty quick too. I would get a cheaper one, not too cheap because you won't get the right experience. Get one that is around 40-60 and get a flavor that sounds good. I got one that does not look like the cigarettes. But a couple steps below those huge a$$ dildo looking objects.

I'm trying to quit smoking & drinking is a favorite time to smoke. My son says E-cigs...but still spends $$ smoking. What say you?? I need to do better by my house,wife & children. Older children...but children never the less. Life sure ain't easy when man stuff gets too expensive...

Yeah, I used to smoke and quit after many tries. I haven't smoked for a few years.

The first trick is to not start again. Because if you are like me, you will always want to have a cigarette for the rest of your life.

The second trick to quitting is to not smoke for 90 days.

The last trick is to not smoke for 3 days.

If you have your mind set, drinking isn't a big problem if you don't have cigarettes around you. Once in a while I will have one (rarely). But even today I have my mind set I will not start again, and that's important in the morning.

Also, I should mention that after I quit, I would drink and not think about smoking at all most of the time. It just is about forgetting the habit.

And as a bonus, everything tastes and smells better when you don't smoke. The first year or two after when quit, you will have enhanced olfactory experiences.

It's a small mistake, and an easy one to make, but when you run an ad for a very large market, especially with the huge budgets these guys have (and they're supposedly the largest single purchaser of booze in the world), you'd think they'd do even just a little bit of fact checking.

(For those understandably under the same impression, it actually translates to Belgian "White".)

Witbier can mean wheat beer, although their definition would still be wrong if they only said wit.

iambeer said:
Yeah, I used to smoke and quit after many tries. I haven't smoked for a few years.

The first trick is to not start again. Because if you are like me, you will always want to have a cigarette for the rest of your life.

The second trick to quitting is to not smoke for 90 days.

The last trick is to not smoke for 3 days.

If you have your mind set, drinking isn't a big problem if you don't have cigarettes around you. Once in a while I will have one (rarely). But even today I have my mind set I will not start again, and that's important in the morning.

Also, I should mention that after I quit, I would drink and not think about smoking at all most of the time. It just is about forgetting the habit.

And as a bonus, everything tastes and smells better when you don't smoke. The first year or two after when quit, you will have enhanced olfactory experiences.

And yet another derail...

Ok so let me get this straight...

The first trick is not to smoke again...

The second trick is not to smoke for 90days. That means I can smoke after 90 days?

The third trick is not to smoke after 3 days. The 3 days after the 90 days or 3 days at the beginning?

I'm so confused....I don't smoke now....can I start in 3months?

The second trick is not to smoke for 90days. That means I can smoke after 90 days?

The third trick is not to smoke after 3 days. The 3 days after the 90 days or 3 days at the beginning?

Yes start smoking in 3 monthes and you will kick the habit no problems :D

I went to a restaurant in Gloucester, MA last night, they had the state or country of each beer listed on the menu. This one made me facepalm:

Allagash (Belgium)

I didn't have the heart to tell them it's made about an hour north in Portland, ME.

Friend of mine just said he wants to get into brewing but doesn't want to have to always watch the fermenter...i find this funny only because he thinks you have to watch it because i smell the air lock all the time. The good news is after explaining i may have added to our ranks by one!

Friend of mine just said he wants to get into brewing but doesn't want to have to always watch the fermenter...i find this funny only because he thinks you have to watch it because i smell the air lock all the time. The good news is after explaining i may have added to our ranks by one!

I huff the airlock because I WANT TO

I just did about 10 minutes ago, but I can stop at ANY TIME

I went to a restaurant in Gloucester, MA last night, they had the state or country of each beer listed on the menu. This one made me facepalm:

Allagash (Belgium)

I didn't have the heart to tell them it's made about an hour north in Portland, ME.

That's like the restaurants and bars that classify any non-BMC beers as "imports." I've been to more than one place that listed beers like Samuel Adams and Leinenkugel along with Guinness, Bass, Heineken, etc. under the heading "import" or "foreign."

Referring to me,I think he meant getting past the 1st three days without a cig. It's actually about two weeks to get over the physical addiction. I just got tired of 5 bucks+ per pack. And wasn't enjoying the taste as much anymore. Then getting past 90 days...hell getting past everyday is a good day.
I huff the airlock because I WANT TO

I just did about 10 minutes ago, but I can stop at ANY TIME

Sure you can! ;) I thought the same thing till that 90's Alice Cooper song ran through my head one day recently...
Hey bro,take it slow,
you ain't livin in a video.
That cloud of smoke is gunna break your whole world apart...yeah!
Hey,hey,hey hey! HEY STOOPID! Whatcha tryin ta do?
Hey,hey,hey hey! HEY STOOPID! They win,you loose!
HEY,HEY,HEY HEY! HEY STOOPID!!

That's like the restaurants and bars that classify any non-BMC beers as "imports." I've been to more than one place that listed beers like Samuel Adams and Leinenkugel along with Guinness, Bass, Heineken, etc. under the heading "import" or "foreign."

Even JetBlue do this, on flights to and from Boston.

On the other hand, at least you can now get something with some taste to it on a flight.

I know that's right. I'm there myself. Gettin a little easier to say F'it at this point. I bet my two IPA's I'm gettin ready to brew will taste way better when they're ready! Keep going!:mug:

smoked for 30 years and was up to 3 packs a day. ask any of my family, friends, co-workers or shipmates and they will tell you that I was the last person in the world they would have thought would give up smoking

but I did

quit cold turkey. it was much easier to do than I thought it would be. finished a pack and have never bought another one, coming up on 8 years ago

If I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN

For me it was the lozenges, though I was WAY more addicted to the lozenges then I ever was to smoking. I'm not going to say I have never smoked in the past 6+ years, but I will say I have never smoked 2 days in a row in the past 6+ years. Been off the lozenges for more than 3 as well.

I smoked 10 years up to a pack a day. Quit last October. Now only want to smoke on the weekend after 3 beers. So I smoke a cigar. Does the trick for me

I quit smoking while at a company Halloween party. I casually mentioned to someone there that I wanted to quit, and he turned down the music, stood on a table and loudly made the announcement to everyone in the room that I was quitting at midnight. He told everyone to help make sure that I stick with it. I did. Nothing like the support of peers to help out. Every day I came into work, someone would ask, "how many days has it been?" That really helped pull me through it. The first 2 or 3 weeks were the worst, and I was pretty grouchy. After that it got better. That was more than 30 years ago, and I not only don't miss it now, I get migraines if I breathe smoke. I avoid smoky places like the plague.

It's been a couple of weeks,& I still miss smoking when drinkin beer. Even my wife agreed they go together naturally with men. She also agreed that I seemed ready to quit. I just don't enjoy the flavor as much,with all the extra chemicals these days. They don't taste quite the same. I guess there comes a time in your life when you just move on...I still have to chuckle a little when the one lawncare guy asked if I still had some of those bud light limes rather than the few different home brews I let them choose from. Even his bro berated him a little for not liking the home brews the rest of them liked quite well. They went home with a mixed 12'r for the 4th this year. Brought the box of bottles back too.
When I asked how the crowd liked my beers with the 4th food & festivities,the brother told me they "sure didn't get any complaints!". Guess I should take that as a compliment???:drunk:

A local sports talk radio show was doing caller vs intern trivia and one of the questions was...

"What ingredient is not in Ale that is found in regular beer?"

Intern: "Hops" -with no hesitation
Host Missanelli: "Correct"!

My head damn near exploded, then I tried to correct the host via Twitter and he called me Skip and reiterated that Ale is NOT beer!

According to tradition, & CAMRA,it isn't. Real ale traditionally was brewed with no hops at all. fermented till the 4th day when it was kegged & allowed to finish. If hops were used,& it was fermented clear,etc,it was concidered BEER.
So he was basically correct.

Back