Funky Cider help ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuyi_wulf

Reaction score
I have one batch of hard cider I made using Lalvin EC1118 yeast and GV Apple Juice , Brown Sugar and frozen Apple Concentrate ...Every bottle from this batch have this ...Funky, Barnyard, Twang to the taste. Not upset about it , more or less wondering what caused this ?

it was made from bottled juice....i was thinking maybe brett or just off flavors from the dark brown sugar

Have never got that flavor from brown sugar, must've floated in in the air in the head space or something.

It's been a long time for me and I don't remember exactly what the taste was like, but the one time I used dark brown sugar in a cider I hated it. Molasses tastes like crap when fermented to some people.

It's been a long time for me and I don't remember exactly what the taste was like, but the one time I used dark brown sugar in a cider I hated it. Molasses tastes like crap when fermented to some people.

That's my opinion for sure. I despise the taste of fermented brown sugar. It's molasses without the sweetness. It's not barnyard, though- that tends to be brettanyomyces.

Contamination can be from improper sanitation, but it can also be because of some headspace in the fermenter where oxygen contact can help it along. It's naturally found on the skins of fruit, and on your hands, etc.

That batch DID have a foam over so there could have been the door that let Mr Brett right in ...

Wuyi, the funky flavor is probably not related to brown sugar. Most European ciders have this barnyard taste to one degree or another. It is known as "old horse" in the UK. You would have a hard time finding a bottle of cider in France or Spain that doesn't have some variation on this. People either love it or hate it. They most common cause is wild Brettanomyces yeast. It usually takes a while before it develops and most people who are posting to this forum seem to bottle and probably drink their cider long before that taste develops. Once your equipment has been in contact with Brett, it can be hard to get away from it in the future so if you hate it, you might have to make some serious efforts to disinfect all of your equipment or throw them away and start with new, clean equipment.

Intentionally put brett into a one gallon batch of cider, wonderful funky flavor. Works much better in cider than in beer where I really don't care for that flavor.

That's my opinion for sure. I despise the taste of fermented brown sugar. It's molasses without the sweetness.

I've used brown sugar in quite a few batches with a variety of yeasts. Never had any significant off or weird flavors from it. Might just be me but it generally results in a pretty clean cider.

Latest posts

Back