Fuller's porter clone BYO recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kostas

Reaction score
Recipe: Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Style: Brown Porter

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 21,00 l
Bottling Volume: 19,00 l
Estimated OG: 1,052 SG
Estimated Color: 69,3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32,3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 58,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74,6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
%/IBU
4,50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5,9 EBC) 73,2 %
0,60 kg Brown Malt (128,1 EBC) 9,8 %
0,50 kg Caraamber (70,0 EBC) 8,1 %
0,50 kg Chocolate Malt (900,0 EBC) 8,1 %
0,05 kg Roasted Barley (1000,0 EBC) 0,8 %
35,00 g Fuggles [4,50 %] - Boil 60,0 min 16,0 IBUs
35,00 g Fuggles [4,50 %] - Boil 30,0 min 12,3 IBUs
18,00 g Fuggles [4,50 %] - Boil 15,0 min 4,1 IBUs
1,0 pkg Yeast (Mangrove Jack #Liberty Bell Ale) Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 6,15 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification 68,0 C 60 min
Mash Out 75,6 C 10 min

I will brew this recipe the following days.It is a "clone" of Fuller's porter from the BYO magazine.Has anyone used the Liberty Bell yeast before? Should I pitch one or two packages? I am a little worried about the attenuation since I've never used it nor do I know anyone that has. Please help if you have experience.Thanks and cheers!

Not used their Liberty Bell yeast. They actually seem to have got rid of all their British yeasts and now they recommend Liberty Bell instead.

Not used their Liberty Bell yeast. They actually seem to have got rid of all their British yeasts and now they recommend Liberty Bell instead.

The spec for Liberty Bell is the same as the spec for British ale yeast, the wording is the same, it looks like a rebranding of the same yeast. Strange, but looks that way.

Yeah, I read pear esters. I thought Burton Union was good but too estery for many British styles (or compared to particular brewery yeasts that are often cleaner).

I pitched one package of Liberty Ale to a 21 lt and OG:1.053 wort. I rehydrated, shaked for 5 minutes, added a tbs of yeast nutrient 15 before the end of boil. I just checked and fermentation has started 6 hours after the pitching.Let's see what happens next.

Good luck, report back! I really like Fullers London Porter. You can't go wrong with a porter with a decent deal of Brown and Amber malts...

1.019 was the SG yesterday and I raised the temperature to help the yeast ferment the rest.Attenuation is at 61% and I wish it gets a little bit lower.

Reporting...After a week SG is 1.015 which means attenuation is 71%. I tasted the sample but I had just drunk coffee and couldn't taste much but the smell was coffee like.More on this one soon.

I bottled it yesterday with FG 1.015. The taste and the aromas are full of coffee and chocolate notes.

Sample tasting a few days ago...full of coffee and a bit of chocolate.I'd like a more full body and I think I'll add wheat the next time.Overall a nice one.

I get some body / dextrins from Brown malt. I'd up it by 1/3-1/2 lb and just let the OG raise a little bit. Can't hurt.

I tasted yesterday...full of coffee, some caramel, a dark chocolate aftertaste and quite bitter actually. There are no esters, at least my wife and I couldn't taste or smell any. I'd like the body to be a little more full although it is on the medium to full side The ingredients rose forward and not the yeast.I could say that the beer I made is an american interpretation of the style. Next time I will try a yeast with some more estery character. Overall I liked it but needs fine tuning...cheers guys!

Fullers porter is not estery and it has a medium body. British beers do not have heavy bodies like American beers.

Yes it sounds true to the British style. Interesting that the Liberty Bell fermented cleanly, I've read a number of reports of big esters, even funkiness of the Burton Union strain.

Glad I found this thread.
I'm thinking of brewing up a clone myself in a few weeks with M36.

I brewed it before with wlp005 but the attenuation went through the roof although I mashed at about 152F/67oC.
It was a 4th generation yeast that I top cropped a few times so the properties of the yeast changed.
Started at 1.052 and finished at 1.006 :confused:
It was surprisingly good and an easy drinker but not as of course smooth/creamy as the original.

I'll report back on the M36 version in a few months, hopefully it ends up around 1.012 +/- 0.001

:tank:

I recently brewed a clone of Fuller’s London Porter following the recipe in Wheeler’s book (highly recommend you get a copy if you haven’t already! https://shop.camra.org.uk/brew-your-own-british-real-ale.html).
Only change was I swapped fuggles for bramling cross.

Beer turned out really great. Side by side, mine came out with slightly more body but they were both really similar.

Pale Maris Otter (77.5%)
Brown malt EBC140 (11%)
Dark Crystal malt EBC240 (9.5%)
Chocolate malt EBC1000 (2%)

Mashed at 67C

Boil for 60 mins
50g Bramling Cross (30IBU) 60 min
20g Bramling Cross (5IBU) 10 min

WLP002 (harvested from a previous bitter)

Fermented at 18C

I got OG1058 which is a couple of points higher than Fullers. 6% ABV, but didn’t seem drier than the Fullers bottles.

The only other point I would make is that the Fuller’s clones won’t ever match what they do as all I understand that all of their brews are parti-gyle.

Ingredients:
------------
%/IBU
4,50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5,9 EBC) 73,2 %
0,60 kg Brown Malt (128,1 EBC) 9,8 %
0,50 kg Caraamber (70,0 EBC) 8,1 %
0,50 kg Chocolate Malt (900,0 EBC) 8,1 %
0,05 kg Roasted Barley (1000,0 EBC) 0,8 %

Over on the thread of official Fuller's recipes, we've just had a big hint direct from a Fuller's brewer about the porter grist :

"74% pale ale..., 13.5-14% [light] Crystal and 9-10% Brown malt, 1.5% Chocolate malt".

At 70% efficiency, 71% attenuation, I've translated it as :

4500g 9lb 6oz (74.5%) UK pale malt
850g 1lb 12oz (14.1%) UK crystal 60L
600g 1lb 4oz (9.9%) brown malt
90g 3oz (1.5%) UK chocolate malt

(metric for 20litres, imperial for 5 US gallons)

Compare the BYO version....

Back