Full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexacuna

Reaction score
Finally got a second pot to do a full five gallon boil! Doing a MO smash with cascade today.

IMG_20160124_151449.jpg

So are you doing 3 gallons in one with the hop addition and 2 gallons in the other? Great idea as I have a 3 gallon and 5 gallon pot set as well. No extra space or money currently for turkey set up.

So are you doing 3 gallons in one with the hop addition and 2 gallons in the other? Great idea as I have a 3 gallon and 5 gallon pot set as well. No extra space or money currently for turkey set up.

Pretty sure I've got a 5 and 3 gallon pot, so it was likely 4 gal in one and 2 in the other. No boil over and ended up with enough to fill the carboy.

Okay...go with me on this. I had a two-pot system (12 & 20 qt) before going to one pot. The first few batches I did the 60 minute hops in one and the 30/45/5, whatever, minute hops in the other. I thought I outsmarted the system....I didn't. I was essentially making two different worts and combining them to one. The end product did not taste the same as one pot full volume boils.

The solution? Sorry, but it's math.

Using two pots is fine, but they have to be the exact same recipe just on different scales. So, the math part...

20 qt and 12 qt equals 32 quarts or 8 gallons

20 quarts divided by 32 quart total equals 0.625 or 62.5% of our total volume. You can use this to figure the percentage of the second pot or just subtract 62.5 from 100(%). It's 37.5%

That's the hardest part. Now we just need to scale the recipe to fit the pots.

Say you have a 9 lb. grain bill. How much goes in either pot? Well, sir. You take the grain bill, in pounds, and multiply it by the pots volume percentage. In this case 9 lbs. multiplied by .625 and that's 5.625 lbs. If you want to check your math just do the same for the smaller pot and the sum of both pots should equal the grain bill.

The same can be done for hops.

1.5 oz hops example

1.5 oz * .625 = .9375 oz in the 20 qt
1.5 oz * .375 = .5625 oz in the 12 qt

It may seem a bit complicated and to some unnecessary, but it really improved my ability successfully complete a recipe. It also escalated my desire to get a new kettle.

Okay...go with me on this. I had a two-pot system (12 & 20 qt) before going to one pot. The first few batches I did the 60 minute hops in one and the 30/45/5, whatever, minute hops in the other. I thought I outsmarted the system....I didn't. I was essentially making two different worts and combining them to one. The end product did not taste the same as one pot full volume boils.

Using two pots is fine, but they have to be the exact same recipe just on different scales.

It may seem a bit complicated and to some unnecessary, but it really improved my ability successfully complete a recipe. It also escalated my desire to get a new kettle.

If your kettles are large enough, you could always Brew-in-a-Bag Mash in the main kettle, while the second kettle holds the sparge water. After the mash, "dunk" sparge the bag to rinse the grain. Finally, pour the 2nd runnings back into the main kettle, or split the wort 50/50. If you split it equally between the 2 kettles, the math isn't tough at all.

If your doing AG I believe you would be correct though not sure. But extract I'm pretty sure the wort would be the same, except for hop additions. As hop in less water, more sugar density, release less bitterness. Thus creating a different wort. However if you do your hop additions in a 4 gallon boil, then add 2 more gallons of strictly extraxt/mash wort then your simply diluting your more hoppy 4 gallon boil.

If your doing AG I believe you would be correct though not sure. But extract I'm pretty sure the wort would be the same, except for hop additions. As hop in less water, more sugar density, release less bitterness. Thus creating a different wort. However if you do your hop additions in a 4 gallon boil, then add 2 more gallons of strictly extraxt/mash wort then your simply diluting your more hoppy 4 gallon boil.

I split up the hops 2:1 as an attempt to have it all turn out evenly. This one was a MO Cascade SMaSH, so it'll be a learning experience if not anything else. Still looking for a 32 qt or more pot and a propane burner in time.

You're going to need a bigger pot. For 5 gallons you need at least an extra 3, and preferably an extra 5 gallons of headspace.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much did the 2nd pot cost? You can get an outdoor burner for $50 or so.

Seems like what you are doing would be a bigger headache and waste of electricity then it is worth.

How much did the 2nd pot cost? You can get an outdoor burner for $50 or so.

Seems like what you are doing would be a bigger headache and waste of electricity then it is worth.

Both pots were $5 each at the thrift store. I have free electric at my place, so that's not a huge issue. It was a pretty easy brew day considering. Still getting the swing of everything. Will try the brew when it's all done and see how things are going. I'm looking at a 32qt or 40qt pot next, but that will likely be my first new piece of equipment.

Both pots were $5 each at the thrift store. I have free electric at my place, so that's not a huge issue. It was a pretty easy brew day considering. Still getting the swing of everything. Will try the brew when it's all done and see how things are going. I'm looking at a 32qt or 40qt pot next, but that will likely be my first new piece of equipment.

Don't do 32 qt lol....you will just be thinking "why didn't I get the 40 qt" shortly afterwards....especially considering it's only a few more dollars (and the fact that a full boil is about 7 gallons and the extra 3 gallons of space is nice to prevent boil overs). I already think "why didn't I get the 60qt"...when I tried to go to 10 gal batches. Also, just remember since it's aluminum prior to brewing with it you need to fill it up all the way with water and boil it for 30-60 min's to cure/season it (dump that water out) and you are good to go after that!

Don't do 32 qt lol....you will just be thinking "why didn't I get the 40 qt" shortly afterwards....especially considering it's only a few more dollars (and the fact that a full boil is about 7 gallons and the extra 3 gallons of space is nice to prevent boil overs). I already think "why didn't I get the 60qt"...when I tried to go to 10 gal batches. Also, just remember since it's aluminum prior to brewing with it you need to fill it up all the way with water and boil it for 30-60 min's to cure/season it (dump that water out) and you are good to go after that!

Likely where I'll be going, luckily. I am doing five gallon batches and have more than I can drink. Room mate just gave me a $100 to pitch in for beer they've been helping themselves to. Think it will be spent on the 40 qt pot.

Back