Frustrated with thermometers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danhercules

Reaction score
I can't get two to read the same. I have on in my boil kettle, one floating and an infrared gun. None read the same.

How do I calibrate them?

They all read 212 at boil but at lower temps they all over the place by 10 deg or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your infrared thermometer only reads surface temp and the others will read the temp at the location of the probe. Infrared if probably not a great choice for a BK full of wort. The others should be closer if you stir the wort and mix evenly.

It's pricy, but a Thermapen will solve everything. I've also heard good things about the thermopop thermometer.

I can't get two to read the same. I have on in my boil kettle, one floating and an infrared gun. None read the same.

How do I calibrate them?

They all read 212 at boil but at lower temps they all over the place by 10 deg or so.

If they all read the same at boil, then they are pretty much calibrated. You could also check them at freezing with a bowl of brined ice water.

Might be that you are seeing variations/striations of temp in the water column. Or due to variations in sensitivity/accuracy of the therm itself.

I typically get different readings in the kettle on the edge as opposed to the middle. I don't think you will get a uniform temp in the kettle. +1 on the thermopen. It's the best but expensive. I use the lollipop thermometer for my mash. It's a slow reader but it's accurate. For a fast reading and pretty accurate thermometer that won't break the bank, Look at the RT600C. IMO it's the best bang for your buck. Cheers and keep brewing!

In a boil kettle, who cares? As long as it's at a rolling boil, you're good to go.

It's more important that you hit the recommended temperatures for pitching yeast, after you've cooled the wort. And I doubt your thermometers are going to seriously disagree with each other at that level...

I am talking about heating the water for my mash. That's is critical.

Don't use infrared, it's only a surface/non contact thermometer and will give false readings because it is "seeing" heat rising out of wort at lower temps.

Any probe should work fine, if your efficiency is way off then maybe suspect a bad probe.

Expensive yeah, piece of mind...hell yeah!!!

20140311_155600.jpg

Another vote for Thermapen. It's pricey--and dropping a C-note for a thermometer is tough. But then again, how many mashes and fermentations do you want to miss before finally realizing those other thermometers are just for ballpark estimates?

And if you're a cook, you'll love the Thermapen even more. I use it almost daily in the kitchen and when grilling. It's especially good when cooking fish, which can go from perfectly done to overcooked in an instant, making for an expensive mistake.
Thermoworks has sales/open box offers, etc. every now and then. When they pop up, someone on HBT usually posts about it. Keep your eyes open and you might be able to get one for 20 or so percent off.

And even more accurate than a Thermapen, and costing 1/10th the price, is a simple glass lab thermometer. Accurate, reliable, and cheap. Sure, it takes a few seconds longer, but OTOH that slowness tends to report more of an average, which is nice for mash use. You'll never again question if your thermometer was "off."

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401659320.337939.jpg

Heating water for mash. I cut the heat 10 min ago so there are no "hot spots". Even been stirring.

What do I go by? They both hit 212 at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009WE45/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I've been using that one for a couple years and since I can calibrate it I feel like I can trust it decently well. Not 100% trust because how the hell would I really know if it was off 1 or 2 degrees without a bunch of other thermometers that could be just as broken, but any problems I've had with the 2-4 beers a month I make haven't been mash temp related.

In every single mash I've done there's a difference in temp depending on where the probe is. Pump, no pump, stirring, no stirring. Depth of the probe and location change the temp by +- 1-2 degrees. Every single time. 100's of batches.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't even have to buy the $100 Thermapen, their $20 probe is plenty accurate-but a tad slower.

View attachment 203154

Heating water for mash. I cut the heat 10 min ago so there are no "hot spots". Even been stirring.

What do I go by? They both hit 212 at the same time.

Cannot make out teh reading on teh glass therm. Try adding a aluminum foil shroud to the kettle therm. I have seen several reports of off readings due to kettle therms picking up residual heat from the burner assemblies, etc...

Back