Fruit Vinegar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefebrewing

Reaction score
Hope this is the correct forum for this kind of post - it seemed like the best fit.

I recently sampled a few fruit-based vinegars at a specialty oil and vinegar store. I was blown away at how fruity and delicious they were. I thought, "I've got to add this to my hobby of fermenting things!"

I don't know where to get started. Anyone else making fruit vinegar? I'd appreciate some links or info! :mug:

Hope this is the correct forum for this kind of post - it seemed like the best fit.

I recently sampled a few fruit-based vinegars at a specialty oil and vinegar store. I was blown away at how fruity and delicious they were. I thought, "I've got to add this to my hobby of fermenting things!"

I don't know where to get started. Anyone else making fruit vinegar? I'd appreciate some links or info! :mug:

The first thing to do is make the wine or cider out of the fruit. Aim for a low-ish alcohol level, like 5-6% or so. Too high and the mother of vinegar can't do the work well, and it'll get too acidic.

Once the wine/cider is made, rack it off of any lees, and then introduce the mother of vinegar. At that point you could cover it with a cheesecloth or something instead of an airlock. Once the alcohol is converted into acetic acid, it's done. It should take a few months, depending on the temperature.

Is anyone else thinking fruit vinegar would be awesome in hot sauce?

Yup. Bad batches, or ones that don't live up to my hopes get made into yummy vinegar. Blueberry Rhubarb is my latest. Bleh wine = good vinegar!! Plus, you won't pay $17 for 1/10 of a liter.

I've got 6 gallons of cranberry vinegar aging right now. I just used store bought apple cider vinegar, added whole cranberries & let time do the rest.
Regards, GF.

Back