Fruit Saison Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I had a Dupont Saison the other week and really liked it. I am interested in doing a clone but would like to attempt to add some fruit to give it a subtle but definite fruit taste. I was thinking strawberries, blueberries, or peaches. Not sure if I want to use liquid flavor or whole fruit straight in the secondary.

I'm thinking of starting with this Dupont clone recipe, skipping the orange peels, and adding a different fruit. Just not sure what would go well with it.

I also have some hops in the freezer I'd like to use if possible; centennial, cascade, magnum, simcoe, citra, amarillo.

I'm thinking of using WL567 Saison II or WL568 Saison Blend for the yeast and ferment it at a fairly high temp.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

If you want a fruitier, more Americanized version of Dupont, you could probably use any citrusy or fruity American hop at the end of the boil or in dry hop. I would still keep the IBUs under 30.

If you want to keep the fruit character relatively light, I have had good success juicing fruit and adding just a bit (maybe juice from 1.5-2lbs of fruit) in primary. Dupont yeast produced plenty of tropical character, so you might want something that would complement that without overpowering it. Something like strawberry could be good since it's relatively mild.

Another idea would be to skip the fruit until secondary and only use for half the batch and that way you can see what just the American hops do to the recipe and then compare that with a fruit portion.

Blog: spontaneousfunk.blogspot.com

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brewing

Citra goes good with lemon or orange. I just made a saison and added a can of frozen orange juice at flameout with Citra. That worked well. I've also added the juice and zest from 3 oranges at flame out with good luck. I next want to try 'dry hopping' with some lemon zest too. Can't help you with strawberries, other than it sound like it would be good. I've read where people add frozen strawberries to the secondary or a week into fermentation with success.

Monty

Latest posts

Back