Fruit flies in dry airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I just noticed the airlock on a one gallon batch of sour beer had dried out and there were about 10 dead fruit flies in the airlock. The beer is about 11 months old. I don't know how long the airlock has been dry, but it must have been a while. I smelled the beer and it smells okay. I'm wondering if, 1) I should worry about a nasty infection and 2) If I could hit this batch with campden and then blend it with another sour or keg it and force carb it. Any advice would be great because, despite brewing through four Indiana summers, this is the first time I have had a fruit fly problem.

I know nothing about sour beer, but isn't it already infected :)

The fruit flies wouldn't have been able to get in tho due to the cap thingy closing to the bottom of the airlock. Plus the beer should take care of a couple them if they did happen to get it.

I'd let that shiz ride tho.

Name it flyanders

Sent from myPhone

Taste it, if it tastes ok keg it, and if it tastes like crap dump it (I don't like sours so I'll dump).

The alcohol will most likely take care of any bacteria a fruit fly would be carrying. I wouldn't worry about it. What's it gonna do, sour it? Haha!

Just some extra protein is all:)

Fruit flies were bad this year. I didn't have any of them get in my beer though, they were mostly buzzing around one of our houseplants. We finally had to move it outside. All of my neighbors were having trouble with fruit flies too. Weird.

-ben

Back