Fruit extract at bottling: need help with carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey all,

Last year I brewed a cherry wheat and added 2oz of cherry extract at bottling time (yeah, it's a bit much...). I also added the typical 5oz of priming sugar, not realizing that there were also sugars in the extract. What resulted was something that I'm surprised didn't create bottle bombs. If I open one at room temp, it will fizz half of the 22oz bottle away. Opened at chilled temps, it's much better on conservation of the beer, but I still have to let it sit open in the fridge for a few hours before it's down to "normal" carbonation.

My question is, if I were to add 1oz of blueberry extract into my blonde ale at bottling time, how much priming sugar should I also add to get a good carbonation? Nobody so far has been able to answer this.

Thanks in advance!

P.s., I'm also adding a large can of Oregon Blueberry Puree in the secondary...will that be sufficient to add a subtle blueberry flavor and aroma to the beer? Maybe I don't even need the extract...

I added 2oz of peach extract to a porter I did last year, along with the 5oz of priming sugar, and no ill effects. It also turned out to be one of my favorite beers to this day!

Latest posts

Back