Fruit addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntinsoldier

Reaction score
So my 2nd batch ever has been in the primary for 11 days. It's a wheat ale. SG was 1.049 when first put into primary. Checked it last night, it was 1.011. I'll check it again tomorrow, but I think primary fermentation is complete. I would like to make this a peach ale, and I was wondering if it's too late too add pasteurized fruit or puree to it? I have a secondary, but it's only 5 gallon capacity. With the added fruit, I'm afraid it won't fit. Should I leave it in the primary and just add the fruit? Or just leave it a plain wheat ale? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

How big is the batch? If it's a 5g batch then you can rack over into your carboy on the fruit, what you lose in trub you'll regain with the fruit.

It is a 5 gallon batch. I didn't even think about losing the trub! Good call. Lol. Most of the recipes I've found call for 10 pounds of fruit.

Huntinsoldier said:
It is a 5 gallon batch. I didn't even think about losing the trub! Good call. Lol. Most of the recipes I've found call for 10 pounds of fruit.

Woah that's a ton of fruit. I've done two fruit beers, both with 1 can of Oregon fruit puree. It's only 1 pound, then I add half an ounce of flavor extract at bottling for the smell.

Flavor has definitely been there both times. It may be that you need more fresh fruit than puree but 10 still seems like a boat load.

That's what I thought too. Well, thanks for the input guys. I think I'll just add maybe a pound or 2 and see how it comes out. It'll still be beer! Lol. Thanks again.

Jeff

Huntinsoldier said:
That's what I thought too. Well, thanks for the input guys. I think I'll just add maybe a pound or 2 and see how it comes out. It'll still be beer! Lol. Thanks again.

Jeff

that's my motto, at the end of the day you still made beer!

I'm doing two fruit beers right now. I just dumped the fruit into the primary after primary fermentation was done.

For my strawberry blonde I put 4lbs of frozen strawberries into a grain bag, then threw it in the primary for a week. Pulled it last night to add gelatin and it tastes fantastic.

I used blueberry puree in the other. Typically the real fruit additions ends up with a more subtle flavor, but I haven't tasted the blueberry one yet.

I think that's what I'm looking for. Definately want just a hint of peach. I'm more of a purist. Not much for fruit flavored ale, but in order to get SWMBO to raise an interest in the brewing process, im willing to make certain concessions. LOL

Back