Frigidaire Model FRC445GB Mini-Fridge Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know for certain that a tall 1/4 barrel (yuengling, in my case) will fit if you trim the top and bottom bumpouts of the door. I cut two notches just wide enough (approximately 10") for the keg to fit while closing the door.

If I can get my camera working when I get off work I can post a picture, although its not the prettiest craftsmanship (had bought the keg assuming it would fit, and had a party that day - I needed to rig something up ASAP!)

I just finished doing this and it looks great... however i waited until the last step to take out the thermostat and move it back... in doing so i somehow found a way to snap the TOP wire (white cased copper wire). I was wondering what this wire actually does. So far my issue is that I can either turn it up to level 6 and have it run, or it wont run at all.

I'm planning on soldering it back together once i get the equipment, but I was wondering exactly what the wire does and if it can be replaced somehow. Would an external t-stat work instead?

i figured id share my conclusions:

i think this thing was a tube filled with gas and was a temperature sensor... now that it is broken it looks like my only option is to use an external thermostat.... looks like about 60 bucks online and now ill have upgraded to a digital thermostat so i can live with this mistake... if anyone has any imput on this let me know... i tried to PM the guy in this thread who put on the digi, but his box was full

it looks like he took the whole unit out, which i'd like to do, but im not sure about the wiring. i thought it wouldnt run if i took the whole thermostat out

i think this thing was a tube filled with gas and was a temperature sensor... now that it is broken it looks like my only option is to use an external thermostat.... looks like about 60 bucks online and now ill have upgraded to a digital thermostat so i can live with this mistake... if anyone has any imput on this let me know... i tried to PM the guy in this thread who put on the digi, but his box was full

it looks like he took the whole unit out, which i'd like to do, but im not sure about the wiring. i thought it wouldnt run if i took the whole thermostat out

Sorry! I've emptied my mail box. PM away.

Okay, so I just got a ton of help from an HBT member here, ClaudiusB, on how to wire a Love temp controller into this fridge. He sent me a detailed wiring diagram, and I plan on installing the TS2 temp controller in the door, so I can completely do away with the original thermostat (simply because it is in the way, and I think this fridge will look uber sweet with a temp controller, especially w/blue LED like I plan on ordering).

Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

These fridges are all over craigslist right now as college students move out. I have found two in my area for $50. Kegerator, here I come.

+1 on craigslist and college being over, they are everywhere. Just spent an hour reading the whole thread, great read. Has anyone seen the thread where some guy built a stand and mounted the compressor under the fridge and cut out the back shelf? I'm trying to find it but no luck yet.

WOW my eyes and mind is going now.... I have to go drill out the top of my old mini since I have the tower sitting it right now. Dont yell guys! I'm laid off and if the wife knew I bought this stuff and started using it papers might get served. LOL
All the info has been GREAT GUYS/Gails

Wanted to let everyone know:

I went to Lowe's to pick up this fridge, but the Frigidaire model they had was different from the one I had researched here in the forum. The manager told me that this model LFPH44M4LM has replaced the FRC445GB. I decided to go ahead with the build, for the most part it's the same fridge, just some cosmetic differences on the door, and I could not remove the thermostat knob from the housing so I just relocated the entire housing to the back of the fridge. I followed the lead of WildRebel: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frigidaire-model-frc445gb-keg-conversion-157618/ All and all it went off without a hitch. I do think I need to insulate the tower a bit better, it is very cold to touch. But my beer is sitting at a chilly 36 degrees. :rockin:

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

I just picked one of these up at Lowe's, but when I got my model home, it had a different door than the floor model. While the floor model had the flat inside door with removable tray/shelves, my model has a can holder and uneven molded dividers (not evenly spaced). It looks like it will still work, but I'll have to pay a lot closer attention to the spacing of my shanks and drip tray.

I recently upgraded my frigidaire by putting my love controller in the door and bypassing the thermostat. It was a pretty simple addition, just spent a little time investigating with a multimeter what wire did what. A reinforced dremel cutting blade made quick work of the door.

kegerator28.jpg

Between the Gucci temp controller and the fact that my fiancee graciously let me put the kegerator in the kitchen in our new house, I'm a happy man. My only requirement is to keep a Blue Moon type beer on tap

I recently upgraded my frigidaire by putting my love controller in the door and bypassing the thermostat. It was a pretty simple addition, just spent a little time investigating with a multimeter what wire did what. A reinforced dremel cutting blade made quick work of the door.

I wanted to do this with my kegerator so I can put in a flat dry erase board on the door. Was the inside of the door easy to remove? Do you have any pics?

Also, does anyone else have a lot of condensation on the fridge ceiling?

IMAG0157.jpg

Yep, I get the condensation too. Then when I go in the fridge to move things around I knock down a bunch of the litlte "icicles". Argh!

I didn't remove the inside of the door, just cut a hole for the temp controller to fit through it. Pulling back the weatherstripping, it looks like the inside plastic piece is glued in place. I'd think you could work your way around the seal and pop it off, but I'm really not sure. The door of the frigidaire doesn't come apart as easily as the ol' Sanyo's did. Inside the door is more of the foam insulation that you ran into on the top.

I get the condensation as well. I just knock off all the ice whenever I switch out a keg and it keeps it under control fairly well.

Good luck!

Question for those that put taps on the door.

What size faucet shaft does it take?

I was going to go with a tower, but decided I needed the top for the ice maker more than a tower:)

I get frost in the compact fridge while using it for bottles and cans. Switching to kegerator should reduce the moisture cause the door opens less frequently...would one of those damp rid containers eliminate the icicle problem that some are experiencing in the kegerator conversions?

Got mine off craigslist yesterday for $60, got two kegs and a co2 tank ready to go. Anyone know a good (cheap) place to get a regulator for the co2 tanks and a good (again cheap lol) place to buy stuff i need to put a two tap tower?

Nice craigslist score - I bought mine retail.

I don't know that either are super cheap, but I got my gear for the two tap tower conversion from kegconnection.com and have also had good experiences ordering stuff from kegworks.com.

When buying I'd reccomend splurging for the Perlicks. Let me know if you have any questions about the conversion - I wrote this article documenting mine and am local to you if you need help:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/diy-draft-step-by-step-kegerator-plans

I had my thermostat pushed to the side and had to do some work on an air hose and somehow i pulled out the green and blue wire for the stock thermostat. Can anyone tell me where they go? Is the thermostat shot?

Nevermind. Quick multimeter reading showed me which was ground and which wasn't, assumed green was ground and blue was the other. Fridge is running fine now.

Just picked up a Frigidaire FRC445GM, same fridge. Small scratch, no key but at 130.00 not a bad deal.

Anyway gonna start assembling the parts asap. Already have the Perlick Faucets, 5lbs. CO2 and lines.... need a tower and other goodies.

Quick question. Any of you ever have an issue with the condensation and having it leak outside to the floor or the room?

Thanks and I will post pics as they get taken.

sorry if this has already been covered but has anyone fit 2 pinlock kegs and the 5# co2 in this fridge? I am about to buy this fridge to do the conversion and my LHBS has pinlocks for a decent price but they do not have ball locks...

After reading 31 pages, I don't think I saw anyone that could fit 2 commercial sixtels in this beat..

Did I miss something or can this absolutely not be done, even with door modifications?

Thanks

I get frost in the compact fridge while using it for bottles and cans. Switching to kegerator should reduce the moisture cause the door opens less frequently...would one of those damp rid containers eliminate the icicle problem that some are experiencing in the kegerator conversions?

Try the product Eva-Dry, I haen't gtten mine yet, but people swear by them, and they are totally renewable, you don't have to continue purchasing damprid or anything else.

FWIW, I read somewheres here that Damprid is jsut calcium chloride, or something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the product Eva-Dry, I haen't gtten mine yet, but people swear by them, and they are totally renewable, you don't have to continue purchasing damprid or anything else.

FWIW, I read somewheres here that Damprid is jsut calcium chloride, or something...

Last time I checked the fridge does not have a plug inside, much less the room for a device like this. How would this help if it was used outside the unit? doesn't make sense.

Again, Has anybody had an issue with condensation leaking out of the door gasket on the the floor outside?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I checked the fridge does not have a plug inside, much less the room for a device like this. How would this help if it was used outside the unit? doesn't make sense.

Again, Has anybody had an issue with condensation leaking out of the door gasket on the the floor outside?

They only plug in to dry out. Otherwise, they just hang up in the fridge and do their thing.

I have had condensation/frost trouble with my Frigidaire, but I also fabricated a cold box/collar under my bar (see my sig for link to build). I thought that it may have been a air leak somewhere, but this gives me some peace of mind that others are having the same problem. (although still doesn't solve our prolem) Water had been accumulating right at the lip where the pull out drawer would normally be. I tried a damprid container and it helped a little. I still have to sop up the water every once in a while with paper towels. I may look into that Eva dry.

I recently installed a Love temp controller and a fan that runs when the compressor cycles on, the fan has made a big difference in the amount of condensation and icicle formation.

I recently installed a Love temp controller and a fan that runs when the compressor cycles on, the fan has made a big difference in the amount of condensation and icicle formation.

Can you post pics of what you did?

I currently have the fridge plugged in and running between the #2 and #3 settings. Temp gauge in fridge has it just into the freezing food range. Cup of water has thin ice on top. I also have a little bit of condensation. I will monitor this and see if it causes a problem. I wish this would have been brought up sooner in this thread.

Can you post pics of what you did?

I currently have the fridge plugged in and running between the #2 and #3 settings. Temp gauge in fridge has it just into the freezing food range. Cup of water has thin ice on top. I also have a little bit of condensation. I will monitor this and see if it causes a problem. I wish this would have been brought up sooner in this thread.

Yes I plan on posting some pics as soon as I have a chance, I need to clean up (re-do) my wiring, so as soon as I have the opportunity to that (I want to take photos of it) I will post a complete write-up.

I have some chest freezer work to finish first, and I'm taking some Kegs to my cousin's shop to have the tops plasma cut tomorrow. I'm also taking him to lunch (brewpub :)) for doing the work for me.

If I can get all that done, and I still have time, I might be able to re-wire the fridge and get pics up by the weekend.

Just picked up this fridge at the Lowes in Shakopee, MN for $99. They are sitting by the front entrance door.

Just picked up this fridge at the Lowes in Shakopee, MN for $99. They are sitting by the front entrance door.

Damn, I thought I did good by talking them down to 130.00.,. does it have a plug?

Anybody ever NOT re-install the light if/when the relocate the thermostat?

Do I really need a light in there?

EDIT:
I just disconnected the Light and power it up and the compressor fired up. So I guess I don't need the light.

sorry if this has already been covered but has anyone fit 2 pinlock kegs and the 5# co2 in this fridge? I am about to buy this fridge to do the conversion and my LHBS has pinlocks for a decent price but they do not have ball locks...

In case anyone else was wondering Pinlocks do NOT fit. One may fit if you trim the inside of the door but two will not fit side by side.

Back