Fridge Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxhophead

Reaction score
I'm looking to do my first kegerator conversion and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on fridge models to look for? It has to be a mini fridge because I live in an apt. and I want something that will hold at least 2 corny kegs, maybe even a standard half barrel. I've seen some conversions done with different Sanyo models so I was wondering which models work best and which ones I should avoid. Thanks in advance for any feedback. :ban:

I lovezisis my Sanyo even tho I haven't done the conversion. Seriously people...how hard is it to open the freakin' door...

fridge2.jpg

EricK The Red said:
I lovezisis my Sanyo even tho I haven't done the conversion. Seriously people...how hard is it to open the freakin' door...

It just looks so much cooler when your buddies come over and you can just walk over and tilt that tap forward to pour them a beer. . . :mug:

Chest freezers are made in a wide variety of sizes. I was looking at a 4912 until I realized I could fit a chest freezer in it's intended location. It's awesome for my corny kegs, but you will have to get a temp controller.

solbergg said:
Chest freezers are made in a wide variety of sizes. I was looking at a 4912 until I realized I could fit a chest freezer in it's intended location. It's awesome for my corny kegs, but you will have to get a temp controller.

I was actually looking at this freezer at home depot for only $169. The thing is I saw a tutorial on and it looks like you have to take the lid off and build a frame then reattach the lid to it. I was hoping to get away with something a little less labor intensive since I live in an apt and don't have a lot of room or tools for a bigger project. Is it absolutely necessary to do the frame to raise the lid or did this dude just do that to install the tap handles in the front. I guess I could probably just put a tower on top just like a mini-fridge but I'd have to move it away from the wall any time I need to open it. Oh and I don't mind having to get a temp controller. Any feedback?

Last edited by a moderator:
Collars aren't normally required, they just take chest freezers to a new level. The only instance where it might be necessary is if you need the height to clear the cornys.

solbergg said:
Collars aren't normally required, they just take chest freezers to a new level. The only instance where it might be necessary is if you need the height to clear the cornys.

This is correct. The ball/pin locks coming off the cornies
hold the line in an upward fashion. You would not want
the lid to touch any of this. I would say 28" would be a
Safe depth for a drop freezer holding UPRIGHT cornies.
Be sure to check those (description) buttons when searching
what lowes/depot have to offer.

Cheers

Is there a verdict on getting a half-barrel in the Sanyo? From looking at them briefly in the store and in pictures online, it looks like there might need to be some plastic trimmed down inside...does anyone who owns one have the interior dimensions?

I'd just bring the measuring tape to Best Buy, but I'm out of town and nowhere near one.

Edit: Ideally what I'd like is two pony kegs, but I've almost given that hope up...I'm not even sure I could fit that kind of machine under the counter.

Back