Fridge Fermentation Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakis

Reaction score
So tomorrow my friends and I are using a minifridge with a digital thermostat controller for the first time. What temp do we set the fridge at?

If we set the temp at say 65f, will the temp of the wort be about 10f higher during the first few days of fermentation? Do the stick on thermometers give a good read of wort temps when the carboy is in the fridge?

It will depend on how active your fermentation is but I generally set my temp at 66°F to maintain a 68°F temp in my carboy.
I've found the stick on temp gauges to be pretty accurate.

I notice a 6F difference between my set temp and strip temp (pretty darn accurate) during active fermentation, so I began setting my fridge a degree or two above the recommended temp of the yeast. I raise once I get stable gravity readings.

Set the thermostat on the refriferator as cold as it will go, then let your external digital controller control the beer temperature. If you tape the probe to the fermenter vessel and tape a bit of insulation over it the refrigerator will keep the beer at the temperature you controller is set for regardless of what the yeast try to do to raise the temp.

Set the thermostat on the refriferator as cold as it will go, then let your external digital controller control the beer temperature. If you tape the probe to the fermenter vessel and tape a bit of insulation over it the refrigerator will keep the beer at the temperature you controller is set for regardless of what the yeast try to do to raise the temp.

This. Works the same for heating.

Back