Fresh Squeezed IPA (Deschutes Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very excited to try this recipe out tonight I am brewing the full 11 gallons and am going to ferment in 2 different buckets so I am going to try 2 different yeasts to see what happens. Going with white labs california ale wlp001 with 1.5L starter and gigayeast Vermont IPA Yeast GY054. So just want to collaborate with everyone. I am thinking primary in for 3 weeks and then keg. So for the last 5 days for dry hopping purposes, was thinking 2 oz of Citra in each fermenter or more? Let me know what y'all think.

I've done this with WY1217 and WL007, both are pretty fast. I added dry hops day #8 and kegged day #13 this last round.

Ok so here's my scenario. I brewed a 5.5g batch of this. By dumb luck, I'm sure, I managed to nail the OG dead on at 1.063. I used WY1056 with a 1L starter and let it sit in primary at 68 degrees for 2 weeks. Racked it to secondary (still at 68F) and dry hopped it for 5 days. As I was bottling last night I took a FG reading and came up with 1.020. According to the recipe I'm still .01 short. Any ideas on how that might have happened? I'm sure that nearly 3 weeks would be more than enough for the 1056 to finish doing its thing right? The only thing that I can think I might have screwed up is not sufficiently aerating at the start? Would this make that big of a difference?

Ok so here's my scenario. I brewed a 5.5g batch of this. By dumb luck, I'm sure, I managed to nail the OG dead on at 1.063. I used WY1056 with a 1L starter and let it sit in primary at 68 degrees for 2 weeks. Racked it to secondary (still at 68F) and dry hopped it for 5 days. As I was bottling last night I took a FG reading and came up with 1.020. According to the recipe I'm still .01 short. Any ideas on how that might have happened? I'm sure that nearly 3 weeks would be more than enough for the 1056 to finish doing its thing right? The only thing that I can think I might have screwed up is not sufficiently aerating at the start? Would this make that big of a difference?

Your not that far off actually. Many who know the beer straight from the source say it ends way higher than what people are finishing at here...try b/w 1.014 and 1.016. It lends to a sweeter and less dry finish which is apparently what Deschutes goes for in their version. I tried this for the first time and increased the mash temp to end higher, but I also tried a new mash technique to hold temps and for some reason mashed in way high (159)...I got it down a little but it was higher than the 154-155 I wanted. I double pitched rehydrated us-05 and used yeast fuel (which always gets me to however low I want to go based on mash temp...) and I checked tonight after 16 days in primary and it's 1.020. Went ahead and dry hopped but also roused the yeast off the bottom to try and drop it a few more points but not hoping for any miracle. Honestly the sample tasted awesome. I would look at your mash temp more so than the yeast that was pitched but either way I wouldn't fret...it'll be great either way.

HUGE respect to the OP for the starter recipe.

My perspective on the recipe:
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/damn-gina

• Upped Munich for color
  • Added 0.5lb flaked oats for body/head –*because I feel like Deschutes would've mentioned wheat
  • Staggered flavor hop additions
  • Added Mosaic to whirlpool
  • Upped dry hop to 2oz to combat my bottling time

Recipe nailed the stats from Deschutes
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.017
~62 IBU
8 SRM
6.5% ABV

Plan to brew next week. Looking forward to tasting this in the heat of August.

Well first two pints out of the keg and not extremely impressed. This is the first batch I've had of predominant Citra so could well be I'm simply not a fan of Citra. Don't get me wrong, it's drinkable but probably my least favorite IPA I have done.

I've tweaked the recipe up a bit for a little more bittering bite:

10 gallon batch hop additions are as follows:
HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 13.9
.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 13.9
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 17.9
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.67
4 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
4 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

Seems to have more 'pop' with the FWH + 60 minute addition as well as the 4 oz at flameout.

I don't know about all the variation and citra-heavy recipes that have been popping up as related to Fresh Squeezed. Fresh Squeezed is almost entirely a Mosaic beer with some Citra dry-hopping to complete the aroma. If it doesn't have Mosaic, it won't taste like Fresh Squeezed. But maybe that isn't your goal.

I've brewed a recipe very close to the original in this thread twice now (once as a partial mash and once as all grain BIAB) and they both came out very close to Fresh Squeezed. Brewing it again this weekend (BIAB), but this time I'm pitching the Vermont DIPA strain (aka Conan strain, aka Heady Topper strain) from Omega Yeast. Curious to see how it plays with the Citra and Mosaic.

Would like to brew this soon but promised myself that I'm not going to buy anymore hops until I use up most of what has been building up in my freezer for the last few years (about 35 varieties adding up to about 7.5 pounds):eek:

Anyway I have everything for this except I'm half an oz short on the Citra for a 5 gallon batch.
Should I just dry hop with less or use a little less for each addition and make up for the bitterness with a little extra Mosaic or Nugget? Or just brew 4 gallons?
Choices :p

Is there a consensus on the best all grain recipe for this? I'd love to clone it for a friend to try. How about the ratio of Citra to Mosaic? I usually do a hop stand with no hops added b/w 60 mins and 0 mins and then do a dry hop in the primary with a final 1-2 oz in the keg. Can someone advise me on the ratios of hops and how much?

I don't know about a consensus; a lot of people really liked the recipe. I think it's close to the real thing, just a bit drier. They mash at a higher temp. So if you're looking to get closer, I'd shoot for a 154-156 mash. For the hop schedule, I can't even tell you if I'm close or not. But attempting many variations of this, I've arrive at 2.5:1 of Citra:Mosaic. It's mainly Citra for me. I don't recommend Mosaic in the dry hop as it deters from the nose that the Citra puts off.

Kudos to plankbr as I've said before, it's a solid recipe. I've brewed it 4 times but have been using 1:1 ratio of mosaic to citra for late/dry hops. I do think the original has a lot of mosaic character. As I mentioned in a previous post this is one of my husband's favorite beers. I haven't had him do triangle or a side by side comparison but he always thinks it's right on.
Edit: I do use British c-75 when I brew it. Ive also done it with both light munich and vienna subbed in but don't think there was a big difference there. The big juicy hops mask it probably.

This is one of my top 2 favorites. Soon to be brewed either just before returning or just after my other favorite, Coconut IPA. My so. Is coming up this summer, and I want 2 of the best beers I've Brewer ready. More than a great recipe.

My second brew of this is in bottles/keg now carbing up. The first time around I accidentally used Magnum for bittering because I was in auto-pilot mode on brew day and that is my go-to bittering hop for pales/IPAs.
This time around I used Nugget per the recipe so I think it will be closer. I had a couple of friends brew this at the same time with minor variations and all 3 beers were great and very similar. Tasting them side by side you could pick out differences, but drinking each alone you'd certainly think you were drinking a Fresh Squeezed.

Going side by side you'd likely pick up the differences as well but without a head to head test you're going to end up with a very good and very close beer if you stick close to the schedule.

Sorry, no help on hop standing this one. I use that technique when developing new recipes but I've never tried taking a recipe and 'converting' it to a hop stand schedule, per se.

Both times brewing this I was amazed at how strong the aroma is for relatively low hop additions.

I brewed this on 13th March. Same recipe except I used San Diego Super Yeast, Two weeks in keg and this beer is fantastic!
A great summer beer, (it's been 25C here) easy drinker with a strong mango flavour.
I haven't really used citra hops before but I am really starting to enjoy them and will brew this again for sure!

Brewed today, BIAB. Used my corona mill. Mashed at 155-156 range, should end around 1.014-1.016. 5.5 gal in the fermenter w/ OG of 1.072. Going to hit it with 2oz Citra dry hop this time around. Last I brewed it was so long ago I was doing partial mash and was not treating water (salts, pH) this time around my process is dialed....can't wait to taste the goods!

Took a gravity read last night after 10 days in primary, down to 1.017. Wouldn't be surprised if it finishes at 1.016 which is pretty much on point! Dry hopping for 7 days and will git er in the keg next Tuesday! Looking forward to tasting the this sweet nectar.

Make you sure you break your dry hop into three stages you'll get better Aroma and flavor out of it

3 dry hop stages? First I've heard if this. I tried 2 stage once and felt like it didn't make any improvement over 1. Now I just do all the dry hops once for 4-7 days.

3 dry hop stages? First I've heard if this. I tried 2 stage once and felt like it didn't make any improvement over 1. Now I just do all the dry hops once for 4-7 days.

I'm just about to finish a D-IPA that calls for three dry hoppings. Two in secondary and then one in the keg. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

All the years and batches I've brewed and have never heard or done this. Agree with @slcalex that I've seen minimal difference from 2 staged dry hopping that's not worth dealing with. I simplify my brewing as much as possible so either way this triple Dry hopping doesn't fall into my style haha.

Putting hops into the keg is not a Brewing practice. Yes some people have done that but it's not a standard. You can still dry hop in the fermenter without it going into the secondary. But the problem is you just jacked up all the yeast that you could have used for your next batch because most people don't have a conical formentor.

Just ask some of the big boys because most hopping schedules are for ipas double ipas and triple ipas. The third Hawks schedule when you divide it up that way has a lot more Aroma effect. It's just my 2 cents do whatever you want thanks

Thought I'd add my 2cents since I just kegged a batch of this.
American Homebrew had this recipe in an issue of Zymurgy.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/deschutes-fresh-squeezed-ipa-clone/

The only real difference is it doesn't use wheat, uses Crystal 75L (I used 80L) and has Mosaic in the dry hop.
Good amount of Gypsum and mash Ph at 5.4 really accentuated the hops.
One of the best IPAs I've brewed. Great tropical fruit, mango and grapefruit noise and taste and a smooth hop bite that makes is crushable.
I do like the idea of adding some wheat to enhance the mouth on this, making it a little more New England IPA style, but this works really well as is.
Definitely recommend this one to anyone looking for a solid IPA recipe. This is going to become a regular one on tap.

Freshies_IPA.jpg

Putting hops into the keg is not a Brewing practice. Yes some people have done that but it's not a standard. You can still dry hop in the fermenter without it going into the secondary. But the problem is you just jacked up all the yeast that you could have used for your next batch because most people don't have a conical formentor.

Just ask some of the big boys because most hopping schedules are for ipas double ipas and triple ipas. The third Hawks schedule when you divide it up that way has a lot more Aroma effect. It's just my 2 cents do whatever you want thanks

I hear ya. Like I said, I want brewing to be as simplified as possible just bc I have a young family and busy life. I didn't mean to infer dry hopping in keg takes place of secondary. I will do it bc it allows carbing up while at same time dry hopping so you save about 7days time to drinking it. I simply don't secondary, like many others, it's just not worth doing for my beers. I put dry hops in mesh sack into primary so no mixing with the yeast cake and have no issues from re-using my yeast, get about 4 mason jars full from one batch and there's no ill effects. No requirement for conical if looking to harvest the yeast. Search for exbeermenter's tests, he did one on pitching slurry from a big beer onto a batch of light/low gravity beer so any flaw from the yeast would be clear, pitched clean yeast on the other half of same light beer and people couldn't tell any noticeable difference. Yeast performed the same in both batches too. love reading his research he does!

Thought I'd add my 2cents since I just kegged a batch of this.
American Homebrew had this recipe in an issue of Zymurgy.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/deschutes-fresh-squeezed-ipa-clone/

The only real difference is it doesn't use wheat, uses Crystal 75L (I used 80L) and has Mosaic in the dry hop.
Good amount of Gypsum and mash Ph at 5.4 really accentuated the hops.
One of the best IPAs I've brewed. Great tropical fruit, mango and grapefruit noise and taste and a smooth hop bite that makes is crushable.
I do like the idea of adding some wheat to enhance the mouth on this, making it a little more New England IPA style, but this works really well as is.
Definitely recommend this one to anyone looking for a solid IPA recipe. This is going to become a regular one on tap.

Have u compared it side by side to the real deal? Or did they on American Homebrew? Just wondering. People on here have compared OP's recipe side by side and state it's pretty much nailed. I'll be trying the real deal in Arlington VA tomorrow at their 200yrd outdoor tap and kegging mine this Tuesday so will get a good idea of how close it comes.

Have u compared it side by side to the real deal? Or did they on American Homebrew? Just wondering. People on here have compared OP's recipe side by side and state it's pretty much nailed. I'll be trying the real deal in Arlington VA tomorrow at their 200yrd outdoor tap and kegging mine this Tuesday so will get a good idea of how close it comes.

We don't get it out here in CT, but I have had my fare share of the real deal and from memory my version came out more hop forward with stronger fruit tones.
Real Fresh Squeezed has a maltier flavor with fuller mouth.
But damn if this keg isn't going fast. I was going to bottle some for my buddies but they just better get over here and drink it straight from the keg.
[emoji482]

Kegged my clone this past week. FG settled at 1.017 down from OG of 1.072 which I think is perfect for this beer (7.1% ABV). From memory drinking the real deal the weekend prior, the clone's color is on the lighter side. Smell is better (I used 2oz citra dry hop), and taste seems to be more citrusy than the Deschutes. Not sure if just b/c it's fresher than Deschute's (after all, the beer did travel across the US to DC) but I was very "meh" when I tasted theirs, partially I'm sure b/c of all the hype Deschute's gets causing me to place them high on the pedestal. Either way, I do enjoy my clone much more. Every one that has tried it so far loves it too. Will be brewing this more often for sure!

@All,

I'm super excited you're all enjoying this recipe! My whole goal was to try to get as close as possible, with my variations incorporated. (Hence the 'DeSchute's Inspired'). Keep brewing away. I haven't modified this much since I originally posted this. I prefer the 152* mash over the higher FG. Just a personal preference. I'm also glad people are winning awards with this. That's fantastic.

There's actual science that backs multiple dry hopping intervals for maximum extraction efficiency.

.beta.-Pinene
Limonene
beta-Citronellol
trans-Geraniol
Methyl geraniate
Geranyl acetate
cis-.beta.-Farnesene

All of these produce a higher % extraction of fruity and flowery notes with staggered dry hops. Try on your next batch, split the dry hops in half and do 2 doses 3 days apart from each other.

Plankbr...... Thanks for explaining this...... Most of the big boys that really want aroma and flavour do this especially in the ipa

Plankbr...... Thanks for explaining this...... Most of the big boys that really want aroma and flavour do this especially in the ipa

Sorry, I don't mean to nit-pick, but I have to challenge the statement that "most of the big boys do this". What exactly are you basing this on?

The science may back the fact that this works, but other than Russian River I know of few, or no, others that do a multi-stage dry hop.

Most of the 'big boys' utilize a whirlpool/hopstand for maximum aroma just before knockout. Founders out of Michigan definitely does a multi-staged dry hop on their aroma-forward beers.

Kealia we are basing our fact on facts.... We have more breweries then we have convenient stores where we live. How many master brewers have you ask? 😂😂😂🍺🍺🍺

Back