Fresh Squeezed IPA (Deschutes Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plankbr

Reaction score
Title: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 11 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 12.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.056
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 7.08%
IBU (tinseth): 52.47
SRM (morey): 9.01

FERMENTABLES:
22 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83%)
2 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
1.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
1 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 13.9
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 17.9
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.67
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 85%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
Target Mash Temp: 152* @ 60 minutes

Notes: This tastes as close as I think it can get. Unfortunately I don't have access to the real thing here in Cincinnati, but tried it in their Portland brewpub last year. It's a fantastic simple IPA. This is now my house IPA. Really shines in bottle at Week 4.

Fresh_Squueezed_IPA.JPG

I'm brewing this today, BIAB. I'll be sticking to your recipe almost exactly except I'll be using WL001 with a 24 hr starter and Colorado 2-Row instead of standard 2-row. Regarding the hopping, I thought Fresh Squeezed had an almost juicy hop aroma, did you get that result with your version?

I've used both Mosaic and Citra before, so I'm trying to nail down the flavor and aroma.

I'm brewing this today, BIAB. I'll be sticking to your recipe almost exactly except I'll be using WL001 with a 24 hr starter and Colorado 2-Row instead of standard 2-row. Regarding the hopping, I thought Fresh Squeezed had an almost juicy hop aroma, did you get that result with your version?

I've used both Mosaic and Citra before, so I'm trying to nail down the flavor and aroma.

This definitely has it! The mosaic lends to the body nose (if that makes sense), but dry hopping with Citra adds a 3rd aromatic dimension that's fantastic! The aroma is just like a pink grapefruit (light sweet smell).

This looks like just what I'm after. My first two AG beers were apa's one with citra and cascade and the other with centennial, galaxy and ff 7c's but I'm looking at brewing my first ipa and this looks right up my alley with all the citrus and fruit flavor. Oh can't wait for Saturday.

Definitely. I would rehydrate it first though.

I will def I always do. Now for a 5-5.5 gal batch would I just cut the ingredients in half including the hops. Ill prob collect 6.5 gal to boil down to 5 -5.5 gal. Will this effect the overall OG and abv? I'd like to keep it in the 7-ish range

Here's a 5 gallon recipe with 7 gallons to start the boil, 5.5 to ferment, 5 to keg or bottle with:

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.050

STATS:
IBU (tinseth): 55.37

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
0.75 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 14.67
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 18.89
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 21.81
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:

NOTES:
Target Mash Temp: 152*

Here's a 5 gallon recipe with 7 gallons to start the boil, 5.5 to ferment, 5 to keg or bottle with:

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.050
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)e

STATS:
IBU (tinseth): 55.37

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
0.75 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 14.67
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 18.89
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 21.81
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:

NOTES:

Have u tried dryhopping with bot citra and mosaic 1oz ea.?? Wonder if this would b overkill I'm loving an all mosaic hopped pale ale so thought about throwing them in the dryhop too.

Actually I have. I'm in a coop of ~15 people and we make 2 x 20 gallon batches each month. They brewed this recipe and we did equal parts of Mosaic and Citra dryhop. While it wasn't bad, I was a little turned off due to it deviating what I was actually trying to achieve. If I were to modify this recipe again, the only thing I may do differently is to dry hop with more Citra, maybe 1 more oz. Not both Mosaic + Citra. It takes away from the 'Fresh Squeezed' aroma you get from the Citra.

Actually I have. I'm in a coop of ~15 people and we make 2 x 20 gallon batches each month. They brewed this recipe and we did equal parts of Mosaic and Citra dryhop. While it wasn't bad, I was a little turned off due to it deviating what I was actually trying to achieve. If I were to modify this recipe again, the only thing I may do differently is to dry hop with more Citra, maybe 1 more oz. Not both Mosaic + Citra. It takes away from the 'Fresh Squeezed' aroma you get from the Citra.

Ok maybe ill increase the citra dry hop to 2.5oz as I have a half oz already opened and waiting to be used.

One of my current favorite IPA's. Would love to give this recipe a shot. I am a 1 gal brewer that has been relying on pre measured all grain kits though. Any idea on a good calculator that I may be able to adjust this for 1 gal? If you have the time to help or point me in correct direction I would be forever great full. Haven't had any luck myself.

One of my current favorite IPA's. Would love to give this recipe a shot. I am a 1 gal brewer that has been relying on pre measured all grain kits though. Any idea on a good calculator that I may be able to adjust this for 1 gal? If you have the time to help or point me in correct direction I would be forever great full. Haven't had any luck myself.

Assuming the same variables for boil off coefficients and such, you'll end up with a gallon when done:

Batch Size: 1.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.032

STATS:
ABV (standard): 7.07%
IBU (tinseth): 65.15
SRM (morey): 8.93

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83.1%)
0.27 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
0.2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.5%)
0.14 lb - American - Wheat (3.9%)

HOPS:
0.14 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 17.73
0.27 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 22.01
0.27 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 25.41
0.27 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
0.27 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:

NOTES:

If I were to modify this recipe again, the only thing I may do differently is to dry hop with more Citra, maybe 1 more oz.

Funny you say that... I brewed a 10 gal batch of this on Saturday to be served at my wedding. While I was brewing, I was playing around in Beersmith and bumped up the dry hop to 3 oz. I've done the 1 oz per 5 gal rate of citra dry hop on other beers and found that it didn't quite match up to the level of Fresh Squeezed's aroma.

Heck, I might even do 4 oz since I am using leaf hops and they are a few months old now. Might as well polish off the rest of the bag.

Brewed this up Sunday and hit all the numbers. Ended up with about 5.25 gal and pitched rehydrated us-05. Took about 12 hours and the airlock was bubbling like crazy and the smell filled the basement, therm reading on the carboy was 68-70deg but I expect that to drop as fermentation dies down. This morning still alot of activity in the carboy but almost none on the airlock so looks like a very vigorous ferm period dying down. 14 days and then dryhop time , thinking of either buying another oz of citra to make it a 2.5oz citra dry hop or using the 1.5oz of citra on hand and throwing in. 5oz of cascade that I have on hand.

or using the 1.5oz of citra on hand and throwing in. 5oz of cascade that I have on hand.

FWIW, I just made a Cascade SMaSH and a Citra SMaSH for an intraclub competition. I figured, why not blend the two as well to see how that tasted. the blend was delicious, better than each individually, but had a very different aroma than using Citra alone. Now granted you aren't putting Cascade in the boil (like my SMaSH had) so it's tough for me to say what your results would be.

So I made another 10 gallons of this last Friday. Don't know why, but I got a whopping 87% efficiency out of the grains! OG @ 1.077. WTH!!!??? So now this batch will be called Doubly Fresh Squeezed IPA. It's already at FG @ 1.009, ~9% before I bottle it. I dry-hopped it tonight with 2.5 oz / each 5 gallon bucket. This should be the best accidental IIPA I've ever made. Gotta love it!

So I made another 10 gallons of this last Friday. Don't know why, but I got a whopping 87% efficiency out of the grains! OG @ 1.077. WTH!!!??? So now this batch will be called Doubly Fresh Squeezed IPA. It's already at OG @ 1.009, ~9% before I bottle it. I dry-hopped it tonight with 2.5 oz / each 5 gallon bucket. This should be the best accidental IIPA I've ever made. Gotta love it!

Wow now that's gonna b a monster beer lol. Should last a long time at 9%. I dry hopped my 5gal batch the other day with 2.5oz citra. Plan on 8 day dry hop and cold crash then bottle. Can't wait.

I'm gonna cold crash Saturday night or Sunday morning. We are headed to Michigan Sunday. Hitting up Grand Rapids (Founders) for the night and finishing the week up in Sleeping Bear Dunes on Platte Lake. Should be a great week!

I'm gonna cold crash Saturday night or Sunday morning. We are headed to Michigan Sunday. Hitting up Grand Rapids (Founders) for the night and finishing the week up in Sleeping Bear Dunes on Platte Lake. Should be a great week!

Funny me too prob cold crash Fri through Mon and bottle Tuesday. You'll drive right by my house on your way to GR I live in the Lansing area. Have fun in GR if you've never been there's alot of breweries to visit and sleeping bear is on my camping must do's next year, hear its a beautiful place.

So I did decide to go with 4 oz Citra. Gonna be like giving birth to a Citra turd when i have to clean these things.
This tastes awesome at secondary. Very excited to try to final product. My estimated FG was 1.013 but my reading came in at 1.011. Probably a little drier than true Fresh Squeezed.

*edit: having problems with posting pics...*

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=264608943730958&set=pcb.264609087064277&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=264608963730956&set=pcb.264609087064277&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=264608983730954&set=pcb.264609087064277&type=1&theater

One thing to note: I'm almost positive that the real Fresh Squeezed IPA has a much higher FG than these recipes. I'd put it around 1.016, maybe even higher.

That said, I find it to be sweet and would probably like these recipes more!

Bottled 5 Gal today and got 53 bottles out of it. Tasting sample was awesome, like a tropical OJ/Mango/Grapefruit juice and very nicely balanced with the bitterness. I'll be making this again real soon.

likewise, kegged my 10 gal today and threw it on 40 psi. hoping to bottle by sunday. one of my giant hop turds got stuck, the other came out easily.

I'm using beersmith to punch in the numbers and keep my recipes and it calculates the IBU's at 64 and that's with putting the FWH addition in as a 20min boil addition which I understand is common for translating the FWH IBU's. With the Nugget as a 60min addition the IBU's jump up to 80. How did you guys figure the IBU's for this beer around 50?

Couldn't wait to try my first even though it was only bottled 1 week ago. Holy Moly this is an awesome recipe, its so juicy it really is like fresh squeezed oj, I can't imagine the real thing being any better and at 7% its dangerously drinkeable and balanced. Awesome!!!!!

I'm using beersmith to punch in the numbers and keep my recipes and it calculates the IBU's at 64 and that's with putting the FWH addition in as a 20min boil addition which I understand is common for translating the FWH IBU's. With the Nugget as a 60min addition the IBU's jump up to 80. How did you guys figure the IBU's for this beer around 50?

Here is the recipe I have on BrewersFriend. The FWH is substituted as a 20 min addition 'left' in the boil. It calculates the FWH of Nugget as 13.9 IBU's:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/72500/fresh-squeezed-ipa

Bottled almost 2 weeks ago its at perfect carbonation I moved the rest of the bottles to the basement and some to the fridge. Its dangerously drinkable at 6.8% and I get nice smooth bitterness, now I see how the fwh works, with nice sweetness and great fruit and that hit of grapefruit from the mosaic. The nose is huge, can smell it once the bottle is opened. Should b getting some of the real thing soon to compare but this is a great beer whether an exact clone or not.

Took a bottle to my lhbs tonight and 4 guys there tried this and all were blown away by it!!!!! They all commented on the huge citrus nose and grapefruity taste it had I def get that real hit of grapefruit and juiciness. Does everyone else get that real grapefruit hit on the palate? ? I don't get alot of the citra pineapple on the taste but it come through in the nose for sure.

This has to be the best IPA recipe I have constructed so far. I simply love the flavor. I'm glad you are liking it so much!

This has to be the best IPA recipe I have constructed so far. I simply love the flavor. I'm glad you are liking it so much!

Thank you for posting this. I should have some of the real thing soon and I'll be interested in the comparison. Either way as the guys at the LHBS said this is a keeper.

Thank you for posting this. I should have some of the real thing soon and I'll be interested in the comparison. Either way as the guys at the LHBS said this is a keeper.

Please let me know when you can compare. Definitely interested. I know they use CC75 and I use CC60.

This went over huge at my wedding. It was the one of the first beers to kick and I had more of it than any other of the styles I made. mine didn't come out quite like the real thing but still was very tasty.

Another update… I just got back some scores from the DE state fair homebrew competition. This beer got 38/39, which I was pretty pleased with. I was on a time crunch and had foaming issues with my kegs. Ended up bottling it the ghetto way with a length of tube and picnic tap instead of my bottling gun. Will be interesting to see what notes that have on the carbonation when I see the sheets tonight.

Another update… I just got back some scores from the DE state fair homebrew competition. This beer got 38/39, which I was pretty pleased with. I was on a time crunch and had foaming issues with my kegs. Ended up bottling it the ghetto way with a length of tube and picnic tap instead of my bottling gun. Will be interesting to see what notes that have on the carbonation when I see the sheets tonight.

That's friggin awesome! Congrats!

That's friggin awesome! Congrats!

Thanks! And thanks for the recipe. I have two bottles left that were filled properly with the gun once I got the beer flowing correctly. I'm debating whether I should hold off and try to enter them into the next comp or drink them...

Back