Fresh squeezed fermenting cider: orange color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sail681

Reaction score
I pressed 4 gallons of fresh juice, hit it with Camden to kill natural yeast, then pitched proper cider yeast 36 hours later. Did not heat pasteurize the juice.

Holding at 68 degrees f for 10 days. It continues to ferment fine.

been brewing beer for years, but this is my first cider attempt.

Two issues:
-still fully hazy. Nothing dropping out of solution.
-the color of the liquid has gone to a light orange from its original yellowish color. This is my big concern! Standard foam on the surface but no visible blooming/floating objects.

So, naturally I can leave it continue to go as is, but want to see if I should be doing anything or if I have something in-correctable going on.

Love to hear your thoughts!

You're worried that your actively fermenting cider is cloudy? That's yeast. Have you not made beers a clear fermenter?

Have patience my friend!

Making cider from fresh pressed juice is an extended process. You are going to need to leave that sit for several months for it to clear.

Did you add pectic enzyme to the cider before adding the yeast? That would help with clearing the cider. You can add pectic enzyme after fermentation has started. Though it's more effective if you add it before you add the yeast.

This article may be of some assistance: https://www.homecidermaking.com/clearing-cider-with-pectic-enzyme/

You're playing the long game. Let it sit for 2 months and see where it's at.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm used to beer where the top shows some sign of clearing after a week. Based on the article, seems too late to have pectin enzyme be known as effective. I'm totally fine waiting several months. It was on a whim that I bought bushels of apples at an orchard and decided to try cider anyways. It's a sport making new beverages! Attached is a pic after 2 weeks. (crazy orange color!)

Attachments

• cider.jpg
    cider.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 153
I have a fresh pressed that’s been going 6 days and it’s already starting to clear. See thru clear? No but in a month it will be.

The color and opaqueness are totally normal at this stage, and no real corrections are needed. You can expect Ciders to remain mostly opaque during primary fermentation. Expect a significant amount of additional time for clarifying in secondary compared to beer. Adding pectic enzyme during primary fermentation wont do much.
You could add some Enzyme when you rack to secondary. It won't be quite as effective as adding it prior to fermentation, but should still provide some effect. Many cider makers don't add any enzyme at all: it is completely optional. Time is the most essential ingredient in getting a nice clear end product.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm used to beer where the top shows some sign of clearing after a week. Based on the article, seems too late to have pectin enzyme be known as effective. I'm totally fine waiting several months. It was on a whim that I bought bushels of apples at an orchard and decided to try cider anyways. It's a sport making new beverages! Attached is a pic after 2 weeks. (crazy orange color!)
Nothing to worry about, pretty normal. It may even lighten up as it progresses. Sometimes cider will end up a really light yellow once it clears. Looks tasty to me!

Thanks everyone! I'll follow up early in 2020 when I've moved past primary/secondary/bottling.

Thanks again for the prior words of wisdom. After just over a month the cider is super clear. Color looks normal as well.

It's still in the primary, and given that I have 4 gallons of liquid, no access to CO2, I don't really want to transfer it, knowing it is fermented out and I don't want to add oxygen. Planning to go from primary to bottling with 2-3/4 of corn sugar to get a light carbonation. Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Also, any reason to leave it in the fermenter any longer or is it fine to bottle now?

THANKS!

Attachments

• carboy 1 mo cider.jpg
    carboy 1 mo cider.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 33
You can definitely prime and bottle now if you want to. I think you need to double-check you numbers on priming sugar though. You said "2-3/4 of corn sugar". You forgot to say what units you are measuring that sugar in. I hope you are taking about Oz by volume, in which case that would be correct for light carbonation. If you are talking about Lbs or Cups that would be waaaaay too much.

2-3/4oz for the 4 g batch. My goal is lightly carbonated. Any recommendation of ounces is appreciated!
On beer the generic recommendation is an ounce per gallon. I have dialed myself in at about 3/4 oz based on my taste preference.

Pretty similar calc for cider. Just be sure you check your cider prior with a hydrometer and if not 1.000 adjust your sugar accordingly.

Also, any reason to leave it in the fermenter any longer or is it fine to bottle now?

THANKS!

I believe cider gets better with some aging; you can rack to a 3 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug. Or you could rack 3 gallons and bottle the extra gallon and drink it now.
It all comes down to taste, if its good, go ahead and bottle and drink it now.
If the taste doesn't please you, racking and letting it sit a while may improve the cider or at least give you some time to ponder what adjustments should be made.

My latest batch wild ferment. Wasn’t this color on Nov. 17
IMG_2878.JPG

Tastes soooo good!

Final results on this cider.
Oct 18 OG of 1.060
Nov 25 FG of .994
Used 2.75oz of sugar for 4 gallons.

It came out super clear, lightly carbonated. As you all probably knew, but I didn't, its very dry.

I have a second batch of another 3 gallons fermenting. Knowing I want to bottle the second batch, is there a simple way to sweeten the second batch?

Final results on this cider.
Oct 18 OG of 1.060
Nov 25 FG of .994
Used 2.75oz of sugar for 4 gallons.

It came out super clear, lightly carbonated. As you all probably knew, but I didn't, its very dry.

I have a second batch of another 3 gallons fermenting. Knowing I want to bottle the second batch, is there a simple way to sweeten the second batch?

Simplest way i know is mix up a simple syrup (pun intended) and add to your glass to taste at pouring. Less simple (in order) add xylitol to taste, campden and sorbate (I think, those are the chemicals, i have never used them) to inhibit the yeast then a sugar of some kind or add sugar and pasturize.

Each have pros and cons. I would encourage you to research the options a bit before attempting any.

Back