Fresh hop ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgregg

Reaction score
The hops I planted last year are ready to harvest. I've got 3 cascade plants, 1 chinook and 1 colombus. I want to harvest on Saturday and do a fresh hop ale on Sunday. I picked up a Dead ringer IPA(two hearted clone) kit from NB on sale a couple months ago and I'm going to use that as the grain base. Here's their recipe:

-- 11-lbs.-Rahr-2-Row-
-- 1-lbs.-Briess-Caramel-40-
BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
-- 0.75-oz.-Centennial-(60-min)-
-- 1-oz.-Centennial-(20-min)-
-- 2-oz.-Centennial-(5-min)-
-- Dry-Hops-1-oz.-Centennial-–-add-to-secondary- fermenter-one-to-two-weeks-before-bottling-day-
YEAST
Wyeast #1056 American Ale Yeast.
I'm changing the hops, so I'm obviously not trying to clone the beer, I just want a moderately hoppy IPA made with my home grown hops and I thought this would give me a good grain bill. Having never had access to fresh hops before I just don't have any idea how much I should use.
My tentative plan is to use 1 oz of chinook at the start of a 60 min boil with the rest being cascade. Maybe 2oz each at 15 and 5 minutes? Is this enough? Should I add another oz of chinook at the start or at 30 min? Should I use more cascade towards the end to give it a little more aroma and finish? How's this sound?
Thanks,
Mike

If by "fresh" you mean "wet", the equivalent is roughly 5X by weight vs dried hops.

The recipe works out around 45 IBUs.
Chinook typically runs around 20-30% higher AA than Centennial.
If you subbed dried Chinook, you'd use around .75 ounces for the first addition. Multiply that by 5X and you should be in the ball park with your wet hops.

For the later additions Cascade runs around ~20% lower AA than Centennial, so you could bump the 1 ounce to 1.25 ounces (dry) and the 2 ounces to 2.5 ounces (again, dry). Multiply those by 5 for wet additions and the math should work out...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back