Fresh beer vs. Green beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frolickingmonkey

Reaction score
About a week ago, I was up in Vancouver, BC for a show. Afterwards, I went out with for dinner and beer with my friends. I had, for the first time, a Red Truck Ale and found it to be quite delicious. So delicious, in fact, that I had... several. :cross:

Here's where the thread title comes into play:
One of the characteristics of the Red Truck Ale that really stuck out to me was a certain "graininess." Maybe it's the Belgian malt they use, I'm not sure. BUT, this same, or similar, "graininess" is something I have noticed in my own beers in the past, but typically only when they are very young, including the 10 day old IPA I'm drinking right now (hydrometer sample!). I've always associated this flavor with "green beer." I like the taste of my green beers, but always think they're better weeks later. But now I'm questioning my tastes!

Red Truck advertises their beers as being "Delivered Fresh". So, my question (which I hope leads to some good discussion) is this: Is "fresh" beer the same thing as "green" beer? Are there beers that are designed to taste fresh like this and/or be consumed this young (other than, say, milds and bitters... in which I've not experienced the particular flavor I'm describing)? Are we so accustomed to drinking beers that have been packaged and shipped hundreds of miles that our palettes just aren't used to the taste of "fresh" beer?

About a week ago, I was up in Vancouver, BC for a show. Afterwards, I went out with for dinner and beer with my friends. I had, for the first time, a Red Truck Ale and found it to be quite delicious. So delicious, in fact, that I had... several. :cross:

Red Truck advertises their beers as being "Delivered Fresh". So, my question .........

Hmmmm......have to try that next time in Vancouver

Since 80% of the commercial beer that I drink is consumed at brewpubs, I suspect I'm getting my craft beer as fresh as it comes. There have been times when I've noticed the flavor you mention and it has always been when a new batch of beer went on tap. Follow-up beers a few weeks later are consistently better.

Back