Fresh 34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxweb

Reaction score
Picked these up this morning from my favorite local brewery freshly harvested. I did not realize they get about 30 gallons of slurry from 20BBL. They harvest and re-pitch lager yeast 3 times or within 2 weeks whichever comes first. I've got 10 gallons of Schwarzbier and Helles coming up. Well see how it settles out, but I don't think I'll be needing a starter.

PXL_20230214_142503908.jpg

Last edited:
Picked these up this morning from my favorite local brewery freshly harvested. I did not realize they get about 30 gallons of slurry from 20BBL. They harvest and re-pitch lager yeast 3 times or within 2 weeks whichever comes first. I've got 10 gallons of Schwartzbier and Helles coming up.

View attachment 812620
takes me 2 days to fill just one using dme and two stir plates, good score

These are the pint jars of slurry after they have settled a bit. I'm doing 11 gallons of 1.051 schwarzbier this week-end. Plan on fermenting at 52F. Any recommendation pitching 1 or 2 jars of slurry? I'm not concerned about saving the second jar but don't want to over pitch.
Thanks
PXL_20230217_165956159.jpg

I like to pitch 1M c/ml/°P and for a 51 point batch I would need roughly 525B of viable cells per 11 gallons to the fermentor. And the most popular cell density metric used seems to be between 2B and 3B cells per ml of "settled" slurry, hence you would need between 175 and 260 ml of slurry for the full batch. I suspect once those jars have settled further one might be enough...

Cheers!

I like to pitch 1M c/ml/°P and for a 51 point batch I would need roughly 525B of viable cells per 11 gallons to the fermentor. And the most popular cell density metric used seems to be between 2B and 3B cells per ml of "settled" slurry, hence you would need between 175 and 260 ml of slurry for the full batch. I suspect once those jars have settled further one might be enough...

Cheers!
The slurry is just 5 days out of the fermenter so viability should be at leat 90%. 260 ml/.9 = 291ml = 9.8 oz of 90% viable slurry. Assuming about 7 oz in each jar means pitching 1.5 swirled jars. Lots of ranges and approximates in this but we're only making beer.

I second what @lumpher said above. Especially if you're planning to ferment at 52°, overpitching is your best bet. I've been using 34/70 for my lagers (both cold & warm fermented) for a few months now; the more cells the better. And once that beer is done, save the slurry again for your next batch! 34/70 does great repitched. My current 'crop' is on fourth generation, and just fermented a perfectly delicious pressure-fermented WF lager.

*edit WF lager has acetaldehyde because stupid me crashed too soon. Oops.

Last edited:
I second what @lumpher said above. Especially if you're planning to ferment at 52°, overpitching is your best bet. I've been using 34/70 for my lagers (both cold & warm fermented) for a few months now; the more cells the better. And once that beer is done, save the slurry again for your next batch! 34/70 does great repitched. My current 'crop' is on fourth generation, and just fermented a perfectly delicious pressure-fermented WF lager.
Both jars it is. Thanks. No need to save the slurry though. My local (1/2 mile away) craft brewery uses 34/70 as their house lager yeast. The brewmaster is a super nice guy and I can get all I need right out of the fermenter when they harvest.

What is WF lager?

Both jars it is. Thanks. No need to save the slurry though. My local (1/2 mile away) craft brewery uses 34/70 as their house lager yeast. The brewmaster is a super nice guy and I can get all I need right out of the fermenter when they harvest.

What is WF lager?
Warm Fermented Lager. Not really "warm", per se, but lager yeast fermented at ale temperature (64-68°). There's a whole thread about it here. 34/70 does great at it. Also I just learned how to insert a link, color me proud of myself.

Back