French Press and Randal Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright people, I've got a crowler of BA Ten Fidy that I'm going to press with stuff (wife and kids are going to be out of town....woooooooo!). Give me ideas. So far I am thinking CTC, coconut, and maybe a mix like Brubaker posted.

Glad to hear I am not the only one, and curious to hear what others may have tried.

In my experiences trying three variations of cinnamon:
Cinnamon Toast Crunch >>>>>>> ground cinnamon or cinnamon sticks

YMMV, but once I tried the CTC, I stopped using regular cinnamon in my french press blends.

I'm really intrigued by the Cinnamon Toast Crunch idea. Since a lot of people seem to think its so delicious, has anyone tried it on a homebrew scale?

Also, anyone have any tips on trying to recap a half a crowler? Would something like duct tape over the opening be enough to keep some carbonation, or pouring it into an air tight container of some sort? This is getting complicated, I may just intihar this thing.

PohI1sYl.jpg

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace W/Strawberry and Lime.
Left in fridge for about an hr. Mostly strawberry on the nose. A little sugary sweet.
Taste was mostly the lime and acid taking over.

Have another bottle, I want to do Coconut/Blueberry.

#properglassware

Cheers!

Alright people, I've got a crowler of BA Ten Fidy that I'm going to press with stuff (wife and kids are going to be out of town....woooooooo!). Give me ideas. So far I am thinking CTC, coconut, and maybe a mix like Brubaker posted.

Pix or it didn't happen!

Pix or it didn't happen!

Can confirm that it did not happen :( Ended up taking it to a bottle share last weekend which was probably better for me anyway since I didn't have to drink the whole thing by myself! I'll just have to grab another crowler next time it's on :D

W0kmeIM.jpg

First attempt at this. Cocoa nibs, pecans, cinnamon and a couple drops of vanilla extract. 30 minutes in fridge, pressed, then blended back in with "winecorked" bottle.

Definitely going to use less cinnamon next time. Does toasting the nuts bring down that bitterness I'm getting?
I don't know how it would impact the transfer of flavor to your beer, but I generally think that toasting the nuts makes them better no matter what you are using them for. That's not me saying har har toasty nuts, that's me saying that something magical happens when you toast nuts. and har har.

Well, how were they????
Man gose with about 6 fat chunks of watermelon muddled for 40 mins was ****ing outstanding and refreshing, like a slighty less sweet jolly rancher with a sea salt closer. Everyone must try this combination if they like watermelon.

Buck with the cherry and watermelon was nice, the white cherries added a bit too much sweetness but I am certain using tart red cherries would be much better.

I've noticed quite a bit more flavor from frozen raspberries than from fresh in the few times I've done raspberries.

Came to say this...no pics, but in the last 2 days I've macerated (tehehe) frozen raspberries - after they thawed - with both AV Gose & BCBS with outstanding results. HIGHLY recommended!

Used two peaches from the yard, mixed it for about 25 minutes with 3/5's of the beer. Turned out awesome. This is my first time doing this but I'm already excited for the next one, and for experimenting with different flavors. I also lost a little more to the fruit than I had anticipated.
But you ate the fruit, right??

Some dude made bootleg Prop the other night, all I know is that he had coconut flakes and some cassia bark. It blew actual Prop away, forever.

Coffee, coconut, chocolate, and marshmellow french pressed. God god yes!

30 min steeping and half of the bottle added after for carb. Could do longer but the coffee might be overpowering.

Might just do everything but coffee then add coffee afterwards, and steep for another 30 min.

20150813_204521.jpg

2014 BCBS in a french press with maybe 3-5 grams of Stumptown Hairbender for 10-15 minutes. Blended with the other 2/3 of the bottle. Super easy, and at least as good as BCBS, if not better.

Still need to try cinnamon toast crunch, also wouldn't mind trying a mexican BCBS as well.

Anyone ever throw some maple extract in there with your creations?

Although not amazing, it's good and I think I have a first here... French pressed Intihar?
D4C66E56-1B67-4DCD-A6DB-1E2F81C10387_zps5smrzo69.jpg

3 day old bourbon aged coffee beans and cocoa nibs, aged for my bitters program (see mixed drink recipes thread), repurposed for my French press... It's good but not great... Lots of coffee bitter and cocoa. Cheers!

dhXApGph.jpg

Not a gose fan, but we got this Canary melon in our CSA today. It was so sweet that I had to use it for Randalling a sour beer. I lamented my lack of 375ml lambics but then I remembered this extra can of AV gose I had in the fridge.

Not bad. Not a ton of melon flavor but enough to balance it out. Also the mouthfeel was more rich.

2 Nectarines with about half a bottle of Cuvee Rene for 2 hours, then topped off with the rest of the bottle. Not a ton of fruit flavor but real smooth without much acidity.

I've done peaches a few times. Had to muddle the **** out of them to get anything out of them.

Just made my way through this thread, sorry if liked some stuff from 2013, but it's new to me. No pics but my bottle shop recently had 2014 bcbcs for fills. I Brulee torched some oak chips and soaked half with bulleit rye. Put both halves in a 32 oz growler with split and chopped vanilla beans. Came out so close to Vanilla Rye. I only let it go for 24 hours, I'm sure it wold go better with more time and better rye. I'm using a Randall jr.

Back