French Press and Randal Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only used about a spoonful of grounds. Steeped it for 20 min or so, and pressed. Came out too bitter. It was some Costa Rican coffee. Strong ****
Others can chime in too, but I usually use a few tablespoons of grounds and steep for an hour or more. Another thing to remember is to make sure you're using a coarser grind. If the coffee is ground too fine, it'll pass thru the mesh in the press.

Trying my hand at this.

tumblr_nzs8teSgNM1ql5oiuo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nzs8teSgNM1ql5oiuo1_1280.jpg

Its delicious. CTC14KBS

Finally found a reason to drink my unintentionally aged KAYBUS
wnod.gif

Oude Geuze Mûre
unnamed-1_zpsqr20cb7n.jpg

Recipe:

Pureed a whole 6oz package of blackberries, added this jam to the french press..
Added ~375ml of 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze to the mixture; steeped for 1 hour..
Final result was intensely purple, fresh blackberry really compliments the flavor of this Geuze.
With 6oz of blackberry puree added to 375ml, this blend is nearly 4 lbs of fruit per gallon! JAM!
unnamed_zpsxnjk1ef6.jpg

Them tonez!

Long time listener, first time caller. Felt compelled to share b/c this is just incredible - blew away expectations.

Poor Man's KBBS

1 Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015)
1 whole Madagascar vanilla bean; split, scraped and chopped
1 oz (1/4 bar) Ghirardelli 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate: chopped
1 oz Crown Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup
.5 oz Eagle Rare Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
2 Tbsp fresh Philz Tesora coffee beans; halved

Add chopped chocolate and vanilla to french press
Pour in 1/2 bottle BCBS
Gently stir in maple syrup and bourbon
Steep for one hour
Gently stir in coffee beans
Steep for another hour
Blend with other 1/2 bottle BCBS

Every flavor is there and can be picked out individually, but it all meshes perfectly. If I were to do anything differently, I may back off the vanilla to 1/2 bean, but that would be it. This is pretty damn close to perfect IMO.

Cheers!

rQHIW9p.jpg

kubC4wZ.jpg

Long time listener, first time caller. Felt compelled to share b/c this is just incredible - blew away expectations.

Poor Man's KBBS

1 Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015)
1 whole Madagascar vanilla bean; split, scraped and chopped
1 oz (1/4 bar) Ghirardelli 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate: chopped
1 oz Crown Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup
.5 oz Eagle Rare Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
2 Tbsp fresh Philz Tesora coffee beans; halved

Add chopped chocolate and vanilla to french press
Pour in 1/2 bottle BCBS
Gently stir in maple syrup and bourbon
Steep for one hour
Gently stir in coffee beans
Steep for another hour
Blend with other 1/2 bottle BCBS

Every flavor is there and can be picked out individually, but it all meshes perfectly. If I were to do anything differently, I may back off the vanilla to 1/2 bean, but that would be it. This is pretty damn close to perfect IMO.

Cheers!

rQHIW9p.jpg

kubC4wZ.jpg

Solid work, but I like fresh 2015 BCBS way more than a KBS, so this is lost on me. :(

Cross-post from DDT:

6GGdCbU.jpg

GxDidjq.jpg

1/4 cup coconut (toasted in a pan) and 1/4 cup coffee beans (ground as coarsely as possible in my blade grinder). Steeped with 3/4 of the bottle for 30 minutes, poured and topped off with the remainder. Need to get some cinnamon and try something like a CC BBomb clone.

Has anyone tried using an Aeropress with beer? I tried using coffee with a plead the fifth, but it didn't turn out great. I'm not sure if this is due to my inexperience of pressing or it's the Aeropress.

Otherwise, anyone have recommendations on cheap french presses?

Has anyone tried using an Aeropress with beer? I tried using coffee with a plead the fifth, but it didn't turn out great. I'm not sure if this is due to my inexperience of pressing or it's the Aeropress.

I have never successfully done anything with my aeropress because the filter is too fine. It always gets clogged up. I use a metal filter, not one of the disposable paper ones.
51slHAaSNiL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

The Bodum Brazil 3 cup would be good for beer.

Use cold press coffee instead of trying to use fresh brewed coffee or grounds to infuse the beer.

Grounds infused with the beer gives a very different flavor than dosing it cold pressed coffee IMO.

Agree, but I've never been able to be successful with using grounds, something always goes wrong. Plus I think most coffee beers out there are made using cold press so if it's good enough for the pros, it's good enough for me.

Strawberry Première

image1-4_zpsrzinsp5z.jpg

image2-2_zpsrbsiskgn.jpg

Recipe:

-750ml Bottle of De Garde 'Saison Première'
-1 lb package of strawberries puréed to liquid

1) Add 1 lb strawberry purée to the french press..
2) Add 750ml of Saison Première to the press; steep for 1 hour.. Pressing will be tough with so much fruit..
3) Final result was thick with pectin and GLOWING red. A perfect Valentines Day concoction!

With 1 lb of strawberry purée added to 750ml, this blend tops 5 lbs of fruit per gallon!
This probably isn't beer anymore.. drank like a smoothie with that classic degardebrewing acidity.
DELICIOUS!

Strawberry Première

image1-4_zpsrzinsp5z.jpg

image2-2_zpsrbsiskgn.jpg

Recipe:

-750ml Bottle of De Garde 'Saison Première'
-1 lb package of strawberries puréed to liquid

1) Add 1 lb strawberry purée to the french press..
2) Add 750ml of Saison Première to the press; steep for 1 hour.. Pressing will be tough with so much fruit..
3) Final result was thick with pectin and GLOWING red. A perfect Valentines Day concoction!

With 1 lb of strawberry purée added to 750ml, this blend tops 5 lbs of fruit per gallon!
This probably isn't beer anymore.. drank like a smoothie with that classic degardebrewing acidity.
DELICIOUS!

How did it taste when you used it as bong water?

I tried to use samoas in the French press with a brown ale today (wanted a trial run before wasting a BA stout). 2 cookies finely chopped 10oz of beer for about 45mins-1hr, I kind of forgot about it in the fridge. Not very successful so I'm glad I did the trial run.

Anyone have any experience with these or any other Girl Scout cookies? What works what doesn't?

I tried to use samoas in the French press with a brown ale today (wanted a trial run before wasting a BA stout). 2 cookies finely chopped 10oz of beer for about 45mins-1hr, I kind of forgot about it in the fridge. Not very successful so I'm glad I did the trial run.

Anyone have any experience with these or any other Girl Scout cookies? What works what doesn't?
5788007B-DDE0-4438-B47F-E1AAAFAFA5CE_zpsv0af66sw.jpg

Did that last year and loved it

9FD5D7F9-E510-48F9-BEB2-83E806A8A62B_zpskpnwpgzo.jpg

Yeah that was good. Cookies pulsed in a food processor then on the beer for for 20 mins in the fridge. Then blended in a fresh bottle for recarb. The extract beer was so good but flat. If they made this I would buy it all!
How many samoa's did you use for the 24 oz's of bcbs? I am going to try with a 2015 bcbs tomorrow....

Latest posts

Back