French Press and Randal Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 mangos and 1 kiwi muddled and steeped for 3.5 hours with about 60 % of a .375 of a St. Louis Gueuze then topped off with the rest. I've only had a few sips but I already wish I had more.
CPuCE0Z.jpg

Goddamn, that sounds delightful. Any trick to pressing it? The last couple of times I've used fresh mango it clogged up the screen and was an absolute ***** to press. Eventually just forced it, but a lot of mango puree leaked up through the sides and I was pushing so hard that I honestly worried a bit about the glass shattering and cutting my hands all to ****. It's why I fell back on the mango juice last time haha.

It was definitely tough to press and I just went as far as I could without completely forcing it down.

So I have some amazing pretty fresh coffee beans I'd like to press a BCBS with tonight............

............ but my grinder is broken. Is there any way I can still somewhat easily go about this? Also have osme HF syrup I wouldn't mind adding, but no sure on amounts. Suggestions?

So I have some amazing pretty fresh coffee beans I'd like to press a BCBS with tonight............

............ but my grinder is broken. Is there any way I can still somewhat easily go about this? Also have osme HF syrup I wouldn't mind adding, but no sure on amounts. Suggestions?
If it's just a small handful of beans you could put them in a bag and smash them with a mallet.

If it's just a small handful of beans you could put them in a bag and smash them with a mallet.

That work pretty well? I'm still kind of a ******* with the coffee thing... and considered that, but wasn't sure if I would extract a decent amount of coffee flavor out.

Maybe I'll toss them in the Ninja blender thing we have...

That work pretty well? I'm still kind of a ******* with the coffee thing... and considered that, but wasn't sure if I would extract a decent amount of coffee flavor out.

Maybe I'll toss them in the Ninja blender thing we have...
I'd think that as long as you get the beans crushed it'll be fine. Ninja blender should do the trick.

I'd think that as long as you get the beans crushed it'll be fine. Ninja blender should do the trick.

Good to know.... thx.

I've only pressed berliners before.... so normally press one can, and re-carb with another entire fresh can. I'm thinking press half the BCBS, re-carb with other half. That should do the trick, no?

You may have answered this already, but I couldn't find it as I skimmed through just now: why did you have to curve the wall around that corner? Was there a bigass rock buried there, or a water main or something?

Literally just made mine.... and now we wait. That Ninja ****ing obliterated those beans, way more so than I was expecting.
I'm finally getting around to using the intelligentsia beans someone bif'd me.

What volume of beans did you use? I'm thinking I'll use the mallet approach that was suggested.

I decided to throw a bunch of **** in a french press with a BCS

Not nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be tbh. I can clearly get the coffee, peanuts, Oreos, vanilla, fruit, and chili in the taste. There's a general sweetness from the fruit and maple syrup, and damn I can get a ton of pappy on the nose, but not much extra in the flavor.

12923218_10207937376606779_8999918840364731258_n.jpg

I went with a '14 BCBS with 7g of crushed intelligentsia beans. I was afraid of overdoing the coffee. This really, really good. The coffee is way subtle though. Next time I'll do 15g or so.

Bottlenexttoafrenchpress.jpg

I'm finally getting around to using the intelligentsia beans someone bif'd me.

What volume of beans did you use? I'm thinking I'll use the mallet approach that was suggested.

I was drunk and literally just grabbed a handful out of the bag, and tossed in the ninja. After they were ground up I'd say it was about a 1/4 maybe...? Also drunkenly poured by hand directly into French press probably closer to 2oz of syrup.

It ended up being a delicious as **** coffee bomb. And man... I prefer that to an actual BCBCS. The high quality coffee really made a big difference, way more so than I was expecting to. Still shocked how well that turned out.

image_73.jpeg

I just wanted to mention that if you live in California Drake's Black Robusto Porter really works great for french pressing.

It really seems to absorb and take on the flavors of the adjuncts quite well through pressing.

Plus at about $4 a bomber it's really affordable to use & to come up with some great pressing combinations.

49ZfXNV.jpg

2013 BCBW French pressed with coconut (equivalent of 3" by 5" spread flat on foil and toasted), BBA maple syrup (about 2tsp) and coffee (about 2tbsp ground coarse). Half bottle on adjuncts for 45ish minutes, blended other half for carb

So good. Can smell everything. Only downside is straight diabetes finish

I was thinking about taking a Black Tuesday and cutting open a vanilla bean and place it back in the bottle with shredded coconut and recap it for over night.

Should I toast the coconut or just as is?

Suggestions welcomed.

20161129_001113.jpg

2013 BCBS experiment #1. Randalled 1/2 a Tahitian vanilla bean with a shot of Willet rye. Let it sit for 60 minutes. Added fresh BCBS to the glass for carbonation.
First sip, not so great. rye clashes with the bourbon. as it warms up it gets a bit better.

May try to soak the bean in rye for 24 hours before adding to bcbs. Worked out much better with white oak chips soaked in rye.

Damn this thread needs more love.

Working on a new technique to infuse fruit flavors with short contact time. I'm use a neutral gose as the base. The idea is to purée the fruit(in a magic bullet) with just enough gose to keep it luiquid. Then using an Aeropress, press the liquid out through a fine metal filter. Blend back with the unfruited beer to get proper carb.

So far I've done raspberry and mango/coconut with great success. As I get volumes right, I'll start posting photos.

coffee bender with coconut. was going for an imitation last snow. pretty good but the coconut is very subtle. i should have blitzed the toasted chips in my spice grinder first

next time going try the coconut steps Sage posted upthread

w9c9CHpl.jpg

Yes, grind them up or get the finer coconut (I recommend Bob's Red Mill macaroon style coconut).

GO1DRgS.jpg

THE recipe:
22 oz BA beer (hopefully something better than Wednesday... holy **** that beer was bad before coconut)
3/4 cup on sweetened coconut flakes (must be sweetened)
  • Toast ~ 10 min on medium. There should be a few burnt pieces, most golden brown.
  • Add coconut to mason jar, along with 2/3 of the bomber and seal.
  • Recap other 1/3 in bottle.
  • Wait 20 - 30 minutes. and double strain coconut mixture.
  • Back blend the base and bask in the glory.

Back