Freezing Harveted yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
There is an article, that was linked in a post here someplace, by Schedhelm that described a procedure for harvesting and freezing yeast. The process consisted of freezing the yeast in a glycerin solution. When it came time to use it would be thawed for five days in the fridge, brought to room temperature and then pitch into a starter for two days.

My question is; what do you do with the glycerin? I can't believe that the glycerine would be pitched into the starter and then into the beer!!!??

The ways I've seen it used, it's about 25% of a vial, mix that in with a 5+ gallon batch, no big deal.

I actually save yeast like this, but have yet to "reanimate" any because I have yet to do the same style of beer twice since I started this method. BTW, the glyercin does not freeze.
How I had planned to use them would be to make a yeast slant, in the typical way, from the vial of yeast/glycerin and save then save the vial for later use. Then make a starter from the slant, which I have done before.

Can you really buy glycerin at just any drug store? I did a quick search at riteaid.com, and all i could find was glycerin suppositories (and unadvertised special!!!)... Unless I'm planning on keeping my yeast collection in my rectum, I'm guessing that isn't what I'm looking for...

Back